Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 2008 Slk. About 8 months ago my battery compartment filled up as was blocked. Cleared it out got new battery all dried out. About a week ago the battery has been dying can put key in and turn so all lights on dash and a clunk but no start. Today did it again after 2 days so returned battery for new one. Fitted and now cannot even get key to turn! Any advice please desperately need car for work - thanks

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,333 Posts
do you have the other keyfob or only one?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,675 Posts
Hi all I have a 2008 Slk. About 8 months ago my battery compartment filled up as was blocked. Cleared it out got new battery all dried out. About a week ago the battery has been dying can put key in and turn so all lights on dash and a clunk but no start. Today did it again after 2 days so returned battery for new one. Fitted and now cannot even get key to turn! Any advice please desperately need car for work - thanks
EIS checks if the key belongs to the car. If that fails you can not turn the key. To be able to check it it needs power.
New battery you say, so:
  • batttery installed correctly? (positive and negative)
  • battery terminals clean and leads tightly fitted?
  • battery fully charged? New batteries are often not charged and need to be charged first.

Other than that, what Jeff says, try other key.

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EIS checks if the key belongs to the car. If that fails you can not turn the key. To be able to check it it needs power.
New battery you say, so:
  • batttery installed correctly? (positive and negative)
  • battery terminals clean and leads tightly fitted?
  • battery fully charged? New batteries are often not charged and need to be charged first.

Other than that, what Jeff says, try other key.
Hi thanks for the reply. I tried other key and still no go. Battery is fully charged :-(

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
7,629 Posts
Have you tried using either key fob to lock/unlock the car. The key fobs may need to resynced with the cars security system before they will let you start the car.

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried using either key fob to lock/unlock the car. The key fobs may need to resynced with the cars security system before they will let you start the car.
Hi there, yes I can open the car and get in but the key fob will not work in the ignition. I've tried the other key fob too. Do you know how to do that please? or does it need to go to mercedes? thanks so much finding it hard to get any help and if it is the battery again or a shorting I can't get it anywhere

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
7,629 Posts
What I would try is to disconnect the battery with the doors unlocked and the windows down slightly so you can open the doors whilst the battery is disconnected without damaging the door glass.. Leave the battery disconnected for at least 30 minutes to enable resetting of the systems on the car. After reconnecting the battery lock the car using the fob. Lock and unlock the car a few times before retrying to start the car. Have you got a user manual which describes the procedure for battery disconnection/reconnection and the precautions you need to take whilst doing it ?

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/
What I would try is to disconnect the battery with the doors unlocked and the windows down slightly so you can open the doors whilst the battery is disconnected without damaging the door glass.. Leave the battery disconnected for at least 30 minutes to enable resetting of the systems on the car. After reconnecting the battery lock the car using the fob. Lock and unlock the car a few times before retrying to start the car. Have you got a user manual which describes the procedure for battery disconnection/reconnection and the precautions you need to take whilst doing it ?
Hi thanks for your help. I tried the key fob thing and nothing worked still cannot get key in ignition. I disconnected it last night and left for an hour and reconnected and this was same :-( tried ringing mercedes and no one helped yet and I'm sure all they will want to do it tow it and charge £xxxxx

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,200 Posts
First see if you have 12v on eis plugs if no power check the cable fuses if you have power then:

Order one of those

remove your eis and send it with both keys for test/repair, speak with them prior to send it

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First see if you have 12v on eis plugs if no power check the cable fuses if you have power then:

Order one of those

remove your eis and send it with both keys for test/repair, speak with them prior to send it

Hi ok thanks. Still have no go with the car ignition. It was working before battery change though

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi sadly that didn’t work either. Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,675 Posts
If you followed all the suggestions given here and also took al the advice to heart that was given and still no joy, then I am afraid it is time to admit defeat and call the dealer or a good indy.

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you followed all the suggestions given here and also took al the advice to heart that was given and still no joy, then I am afraid it is time to admit defeat and call the dealer or a good indy.
Thanks sadly yep I’ve tried it all. I was even out at 6 am with a head torch cleaning up the Earth cable connection to car in the sleet as recommended by an indy I know who sadly can’t help as he’s now helping the Nhs. Reset the keys. Tried even the jump point. I failed. He was towed at 10. I don’t have much hope for it for some reason. The Indy seems a little stumped. Read somewhere about the barrel not talking to the noid but who knows. Been a sad day lol as he was dragged through gravel as couldn’t turn wheel 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try this:
How to Reset a Mercedes Key

1. Reset your Mercedes-Benz key by placing the key in the ignition of your vehicle while the vehicle is turned off. ...
  2. Pull the key out of the ignition while continuing to hold the "lock" button down. ...
  3. Use another finger to push down on the "unlock" button five consecutive times. ...
  4. Release the "lock" button.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It happened to me as well. This solution may be better than my previous reply. Good luck!
1. Put the key in the ignition.
2. Quickly remove it within 10 seconds and hold down the Lock button.
3. While holding the Lock button, press Unlock five times.
4. Release these buttons and press the Trunk button once. This should synchronize your remote. You will be able to tell if it worked by pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons to see if they work.

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try this:
How to Reset a Mercedes Key

1. Reset your Mercedes-Benz key by placing the key in the ignition of your vehicle while the vehicle is turned off. ...
  2. Pull the key out of the ignition while continuing to hold the "lock" button down. ...
  3. Use another finger to push down on the "unlock" button five consecutive times. ...
  4. Release the "lock" button.
Hi thank you I did try that before it was towed and sadly didn’t work 😫

1 - 17 of 17 Posts