Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Dan,

I am not sure if its me being paranoid but recently (just turned 22K miles) I have noticed what I think is "different"l background engine noise which is audible at low rpm. I would describe the noise as a low pitch Hoover and it disappears as soon as I accelerate.
I have noticed this after my first full tank of unleaded 98 octanes.
Do you think there is a causative effect between the new engine noise and the petrol?
should I worry and have the car checked?
does the sound produced by the engine change with time as a rule?

I apologise for the basic questions that will sound ridiculous to the experts

Thanks in advance for your help

P

D

·
0 Posts
Alright mate,

Personally i would not worry about it if it was anything major you would know about it.

Try taking it off of 98 for a little and see if the noise disappears.

The engine sound will change as the engine matures but i don't think that explains this noise, it could be one of the pumps also just activating.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer Dan,

I will take it off 98 as you suggested and see what happens.
Sounds like we have to be careful nowadays , have you seen the news about the petrol having a high ethanol concentration which has damaged a good number of cars this week?

P

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah did see something about it had a busy week so not had much time to look in-depth at the stuff thats been out but i will do.

See what happens once its off the 98 it might make a difference but i would not worry about it even if the noise does not go its probably just a pump or valve

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah did see something about it had a busy week so not had much time to look in-depth at the stuff thats been out but i will do.

See what happens once its off the 98 it might make a difference but i would not worry about it even if the noise does not go its probably just a pump or valve

Hi,

took it off the 98, noise still there and irritating .., now that the top is down. I had it checked by a dealer, they confirmed that there is nothing major but would like to change a part of the supercharger and of the air con. I am giving them the car on the 3rd it will be fixed in a day I will keep you updated.

P

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update

The cause of the background whining noise was a fault with the air conditioning charger. In addition there was some damage of the exhaust pipe, apparently a welding gave way. The car has been fixed, and I love it even more!

thanks

P

D

·
0 Posts
Glad its sorted.

Sorry to hear about the bad weld that does not happen very often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.