Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends.

Just got home after some brake job for my R172 350.

I had a very trusted and well reviewed garage change my front pads and rotors (the rears are ok at around 50%).

The front pads are the Akebono and the front rotors are Zimmermans.

On the way home, I noticed that the brake pedal travel from where I am used to seemed longer and the “grip” before it stops is softer.

I went back to the garage and spoke to the manager. He drove it for a bit and told me that it seems normal to him. He then called the mechanic who worked on my car and told us that the Akebono pads needs to bed for a while. I asked if maybe there is air in the line and the manager told me that they dont open the line for brake pad change so no air can come in.

He told me to let it bed for a while and to come back it the issue persists.

Im just wondering if you guys who used the Akebonos also experienced the same thing.

My brake pedal travel is significantly longer now and that softness when I step on the pedal is kinda concerning.

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,155 Posts
Doesn't make sense unless the new disks and pads are thinner than old ones were before you replaced them.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Personally I would have them bleed the system anyhow to eliminate doubt. Also if the pads and rotors needed changing the chances are the system was due for new fluid anyway?

Maya~Taptalk

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't make sense unless the new disks and pads are thinner than old ones were before you replaced them.
Personally I would have them bleed the system anyhow to eliminate doubt. Also if the pads and rotors needed changing the chances are the system was due for new fluid anyway?

Maya~Taptalk

Very good point. I will have them bleed the brake fluid.

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Brake fluid completely flushed by mechanic with Dot4+

Apparently, there was a “little bit” of air that came out. I have no idea how air got in...

Car feels like new again when braking.

Man, those Akebonos are pretty grippy! And no dust so far.

Happy camper here.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,063 Posts
Curious, how many miles are on your 2014 350 that required front pad change? I ask bcos mine has over 60K miles, is a 2013 and still has plenty of front and rear pads to go before changing...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts