Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 5th Gear on test / show was a nice looking 171 1.8 petrol in black apart from the Alloys and caps painted red calipers all looked original and good from new what i could see nice example .

Now when you put cars up against a Z4 M series and Porsche Boxster i think .
Should the SLK 171 of been an AMG 55 171 to compete against the high performers ?

For a start The Bmw should of been the basic Z4 to compare etc

Or am i missing something
Oh by the way guess what car won .

·
Registered
121 Posts
I made a point of watching this episode to see what kind of comparison they made between the three cars. The SLK should have at least been a 350 just so you could say the engine displacements were similar. I think if they had used a 55 there would have been too much bias the other way in favour of the SLK, even the mighty 'M' badge wouldn't stand up to the output of a 55. Nothing against the smaller engine versions of the 171, but that test was like comparing apples to oranges.
Was I surprised that the porker was the overall winner? Not really.
Was the verdict positive enough to make me want one over my SLK? Not really.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a point of watching this episode to see what kind of comparison they made between the three cars. The SLK should have at least been a 350 just so you could say the engine displacements were similar. I think if they had used a 55 there would have been too much bias the other way in favour of the SLK, even the mighty 'M' badge wouldn't stand up to the output of a 55. Nothing against the smaller engine versions of the 171, but that test was like comparing apples to oranges.
Was I surprised that the porker was the overall winner? Not really.
Was the verdict positive enough to make me want one over my SLK? Not really.
The fine 171 1.8 is a fine engine even more so the facelift with extra bhp added
But yes the 350 would of been a better choice .

Apples and pairs is a good comparising .

Will have to re watch it but did the early boxters have a weak engine and got recalled ?

·
Super Moderator
24,195 Posts
I thought Boxter's weak point was the sub frame behind the doors? Isn't there a drain channel running there.

It's a poor description for them to say 'comparison'.

All entry level, top of the line or same engine/price would be a comparison.

These things are a handy guide, but rule 1 remains.

If a car interests....TEST DRIVE!
It's the only way to have an idea if it suits.
Joining forums and doing the background helps,
but only one person can decide if a car is for you.

And that's Sarge :D

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well at least there looking at older cars and testing / driving them on the program and not driving three all over the world for circa an hour .

Its flagged as record whole series on my media box . :grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't seen the show yet, but from my experience of all three they are all quite different - and yes, of course, it helps to compare similar specced cars.

The Boxster is far away the finest car to drive hard and fast but is expensive and rather minimal

The Z4 M is a fixes head car with enough room for midgets and has pretty crazy handling- but the awesome M Power engine (I've run Mpower engines for 25 years without a hitch)

The SLK is more laid back and luxurious than either, has a folding hard top and probably looks the best (OK the new Z4 has the folding top, but not with an M engine - as far as I'm aware)

So you pays your money and takes your choice, but for me, it all depends on what you are looking for in your motor veeehicle !

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
I thought it was a poor comparison.
If you are going to compare cars then ensure they are at least in the same ball park power wise.
It should have been a Z4 3.0 sport (approx. 260bhp), an SLK350 (approx. 270bhp) and a Boxter S 3.2 (approx. 275bhp) and then compare.
You can bet the Boxter will still come out on top with the Jurnos as it is good on track but having driven all 3 I can say that in the real world on real roads the SLK wins every time (IMHO).
Next week they will probably compare family saloons: C Class 1.8 vs Porsche Panamera vs BMW M5 :)

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Originally, when the Boxsters were a few years old it came to light that there were serious engine issues ( was it cylinder liners?) for the first few years of production. Last I read, these worries extend into the second Boxster series and some 911, covering 10-12 years. Some Porsche expert can probably clarify, but it seems like a giant trap for first time buyers of those cars.

As for the comparison, ever since these cars commenced in the late nineties, the SLK, Z3/4, Boxster, & TT , have never directly competed as each has had a different design bias, style, mechanical configuration and targeted different niches in the sports coupe segment. So I find these comparison shows pointless if the try to pick a winner as opposed to clarify the strengths of each. Frankly I get tired of being told that what I really want is the best track car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts