Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Omg Members i feel like an idiot. I actually took the time to read the owners manual on my R170 when i bought the car it clearly says under raising closing the roof turn key into position 2 and raise/lower the roof by pressing button and so on.

Well yesterday i turned in my paperwork at the yard with the motor running for some unknown reason i pushed the button for the top and guess what it went down. You had to see the look on my face. Priceless i must say. Nowhere does it say in the manual that the top will go down with the motor running.

And here is the stupid question for today should i lower the roof with the motor running it shure is alot faster will it do damage to the pump/ cylinders ?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

From now on i will not read the Owners manual or ask for directions any longer it is just a waste of time. I guess that makes me a real men now. :Beer:;);););)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts

Well yesterday i turned in my paperwork at the yard with the motor running for some unknown reason i pushed the button for the top and guess what it went down. You had to see the look on my face. Priceless i must say. Nowhere does it say in the manual that the top will go down with the motor running.

:Beer:;);););)
Key is in still in position 2 when motor is running.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Position 0 - You just put the key in.
Position 1 - Accessory mode: radio and certain gadgets work and turn on
Position 2 - Rest of the car is on: Everything that would be on when the car is on is on, with the exception of the engine.
Position 3 - Crank: you crank the car with the starter and bingo, engine starts. Note: After you've released Position 3, your car goes back to Position 2, however this time the engine will be running.

Your key should NEVER be left in Position 3 after the engine has started. In some older cars, you have a chance of blowing your starter. Don't know how the SLK handles over-starts. Never tried. I treat mine like a push-button of sorts: Put it on Position 3 for half a second then release. Car starts on its own.

Oh almost forgot:

Position -1: The wife took the keys from you for driving too fast.

There's got to be a joke around here about the "Missionary Position" but I won't go there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.