Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used any performance parts from needs wings before? I’m thinking of getting the dual cold air induction kit with the de cat down pipes. But before I order them I would like to know if they are worth buying. Thanks

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG/2009 SLK55 AMG
281 Posts
I have purchased items from Needswings for my Chrysler Crossfires in the past. Rob (owner of NW) is a great guy and makes great products. The DCAI that I had for my SRT-6 Crossfire is essentially the same as what you would get for the R170 assuming you have the SLK32. You will love the sound of the supercharger if you go with either the single or dual CAI. I cannot speak for the down pipes as I never purchased those.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,088 Posts
Has anyone used any performance parts from needs wings before? I’m thinking of getting the dual cold air induction kit with the de cat down pipes. But before I order them I would like to know if they are worth buying. Thanks

@Rikvdub

They've got some great stuff on NeedsWings without any shadow of a doubt, beautiful stuff on there but bear in mind that until (if ever) we get a free trade deal with the US, you'll get hammered for - IMPORT DUTY, VAT AND SHIPPING - to the extent that it may well be cheaper to hop on a plane and go fetch it yourself, check that amount before you buy - don't ask me how I know.

So .. as per TVT Designs recommendation for a standard '320, a far cheaper solution for greater intake airflow is to grab a hold of a filter box/engine cover from just about any other MB that utilises the M112 with bigger filters (filter p/n A1120940004)

There's one on - eBay - right now, complete with the 3" intake pipes which is a rarity in itself

HTH

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Rikvdub

They've got some great stuff on NeedsWings without any shadow of a doubt, beautiful stuff on there but bear in mind that until (if ever) we get a free trade deal with the US, you'll get hammered for - IMPORT DUTY, VAT AND SHIPPING - to the extent that it may well be cheaper to hop on a plane and go fetch it yourself, check that amount before you buy - don't ask me how I know.

So .. as per TVT Designs recommendation for a standard '320, a far cheaper solution for greater intake airflow is to grab a hold of a filter box/engine cover from just about any other MB that utilises the M112 with bigger filters (filter p/n A1120940004)

There's one on - eBay - right now, complete with the 3" intake pipes which is a rarity in itself

HTH
@M4rCu5 do you have the item number for the eBay listing for the intake pipe? Also I’m thinking if I buy the parts from NW’s before end of the kj then I maybe able to avoid duty tax lol

Reactions: Squishband

·
2,088 Posts
@M4rCu5 do you have the item number for the eBay listing for the intake pipe? Also I’m thinking if I buy the parts from NW’s before end of the kj then I maybe able to avoid duty tax lol

Hi @Rikvdub, just to make sure that we're on the same page, I'm assuming that you have a 320 and not a '32 .. I know, never assume :)
So that would be the 3" intake pipes for the bigger box NA 320?
I did have the pns for them but they generally ask for silly money, £30 each or thereabouts, considering that I paid £28 for the box and the front cover it seems a bit excessive lol .. decided that I'm going to make my own out of ally tubing - if that one on the bay (link above) had been up earlier I'd have had it at £45

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@M4rCu5 yes mate I have a 320. I too have thought about making my own intakes but have not yet looked into doing it. Always try to see others work first and try do my own. If I did it blind i know hands down I’ll be in trouble lol.

·
2,088 Posts
@Rikvdub

Lol .. yeah, just chalk it up to R&D :unsure:
By pinching one from an S Class I could run into issues myself but hey ho ..

the story so far ..

Stock one-piece SLK intake ..
20200121_104436.jpg

S320 .. as you can see, the stock 2 1/2" intake pipes fit loosely inside the 3" S Class intakes, yes it needs a clean and yes I need bigger pipes and yes the bonnet still shuts .. no problems there ..
20200121_110313.jpg

Stock vs bigger 'box .. sweet ?
20200121_104750.jpg

Potential issue of scraping on torque twist .. gonna be tight on those heat shields but time will tell
20200121_110328.jpg

ongoing ..

·
2,088 Posts
Sooo .. stock filter A1120940304 vs A1120940004 from the S320 and others :cool:

.. and new flexible intake pipes vs stock :giggle: Seriously? what were MB thinking??

and in we go .. (y)

Now I don't know if there's any extra ponies that have been released but it does seem to pull better and there's a definite induction roar that wasn't there previously .. I'm liking this .. and all for the princely sum inc. new filters for about £55 (y) I'm beginning to think that TVT Designs actually know a thing or two .. :whistle:

Ongoing ..

·
2,088 Posts
@Icepilot @Dave2302 ~ photo as per request ;)

- Yes I know those bolts on the lower clips need to be shortened, I missed those before you say anything :p

And always ongoing ..

Flexible intake pipes swapped out and replaced with a pair of 76mm id 45 degree silicon elbows and an 18cm length of 76mm id aluminium pipe either side which was polished with Meg 105 and then 205 well worth doing IMO :cool:

Airbox treated to several coats of K2 Bono Black (y)

Rocker covers painted, you can just see them 🙃

Stumpy 30mm SLK filler neck replaced with the longer 50mm filler neck that's on just about every other M112 engine (p/n 112 010 00 64)

Much better and still ongoing ..

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,171 Posts
Looks great :)

Shame the numpty hooooo dun it didn't cut the clamp bolts back tho ........... :D

(I did the same first time) ;)

Your lack of the other 2 cylinders means that you didn't need a remote PAS Reservoir like my V8 did :)

The extra 2 cylinders does mean that one can see more of the Cam Covers especially when viewed side on ...................
The extra 2 cylinders also means it's Faarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst, very very Faarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrst 😈

·
2,088 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

You're well entitled to blow your own trumpet, and rightly so and that's why I brought that ^ back here for us mere mortals instead of dumping it on your thread :p :cool:

I just got away with clearing the PAS Res as it happens. There is roughly a 5mm gap as the ally angles down over that corner but if it had been all silicon hose it might have just touched, call it more luck than judgement .. in fact don't, I knew exactly what I was doing, honest guv :whistle:

I do know about the ruddy clamp bolts :D
I trimmed the other four and then had to make some adjustments before final tightening the last two, put everything away including my trusty angle grinder and took a couple of photos .. was only when I sat down at my PC that I noticed those two hadn't been sorted out o_O

Anyway, this is ongoing so it'll be out again in the very near future and I can fix that there and then ..

·
3,171 Posts
LOL, it's been a long while since I was able to blow my own trumpet o_O 🙃

You done good Maestro 2, I was just takin' the proverbial ;)

·
3,171 Posts
@M4rCu5,

When you did the final wash with bleach, did you use it neat and then wash with water or wot ??????????????

Waiting on parts for another customers old heap, so I might Prime and Paint mine tommoz ;)

·
2,088 Posts
@M4rCu5,

When you did the final wash with bleach, did you use it neat and then wash with water or wot ??????????????

Waiting on parts for another customers old heap, so I might Prime and Paint mine tommoz ;)

Ahh .. those ..

I cleaned the rocker covers to a decent standard with just about everything that I'd got on the shelf, made it up as I went along .. Petrol, Thinners, Brake Cleaner, Wire Brushes, Jizer, Gunk, Wire Wool, Cuddly Toy, you name it I tried it .. rinsed with IRO 50/50 of water/bleach and then gave them a final rinse under the garden hose for a few mins and then finally dried them off with compressed air.

I used - Sunox Etch Primer - initially and let that dry for a week before spraying with the aptly named - Silver Arrow - brake caliper paint :) and I then let that dry for another week. Point of note: those covers stunk to high heaven for the first couple of days on the car until the heat actually cured the paint, even though they had been stood for a week, they're ok now but they did have me worried for a couple of days there, they should really have gone in an oven lol .. still no signs of it falling off or bubbling up yet .. :cool:

HTH

·
3,171 Posts
Cheers, I think we have both done the same so far, so I will do the 50 / 50 Bleach, then wash with Water, only thing I'll do after the Water is rinse thoroughly with Pre Paint Degreaser, that stuff evaporates like dosh outta my wallet, then I will just make certain there is no moisture trapped in the pores, I'll likely actually Spray that on through a Primer Gun at higher than normal painting pressure and then .......................

I'll continue in my thread ;)

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
146 Posts
You can always build your own CAI out of rubber couplers and tubes, I’m planning a build roughly following this old thread. Total cost is around $150-200 depending on shipping.

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
9 Posts
Thank-you! This has been my exact fantasy, but I concluded (through an amusing test) that there was no more clearance to be had between my stock SLK 320 airbox and the hood. Amusing test was to place 3/4" sponges on top of my box, spread them with shaving cream, close the hood, and see if the cream prints onto the insulation of the hood. It did… so your fitment of the larger box says it somehow sits differently on top of the intake manifold. Off to the junkyard tomorrow!

·
2,088 Posts
Thank-you! This has been my exact fantasy, but I concluded (through an amusing test) that there was no more clearance to be had between my stock SLK 320 airbox and the hood. Amusing test was to place 3/4" sponges on top of my box, spread them with shaving cream, close the hood, and see if the cream prints onto the insulation of the hood. It did… so your fitment of the larger box says it somehow sits differently on top of the intake manifold. Off to the junkyard tomorrow!
:D

There is not a lot of room to be had and I was more concerned about heat-shield clearance at the sides at the time

However:
The 76mm flexible pipes that I had initially for R&D purposes were cheap plastic efforts that were covered in a chrome paint. I did find that the pipe on the left of the airbox rubbed slightly on the insulating sheet just enough to cause the chrome paint to rub off.
On inspection of the sheet, you will find that it's quite 'baggy' i.e. it's not a snug fit and hangs down in places, one of these places is directly above that pipe hence why it rubbed, it was gravity doing its thing, so my solution was to spot-hot-glue the sheet to the bonnet (hood) in the offending place ..

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
9 Posts
I did find an airbox for an E320, but it didn’t pass my shaving cream test. Fine on the sides, however. The bigger airbox idea intrigues me enough that I will try playing with the clip-mounts, the insulation and even filing down the edge of the box itself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts