Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the battery from the car to charge it for a couple of days but, as the car is keyless entry and kept away from the house, it obviously needs to be locked. So, how can I lock and unlock it without a battery?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,202 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am guessing that you have tried manually with the valet key and that does not work? If you have tried that does not function, I am not sure of any other way.

·
97,202 Posts
except parking closer to an outlet and charge the battery in the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do have keys, it is keyless entry, not keyless start! The remote lock and unlock is on the key fob, but the key is just for the ignition.

·
97,202 Posts
just because it is keyless entry does not mean there is no way in with the valet key, no?

·
97,202 Posts
good question. if you had a teleaid subscription, they could unlock your car remotely.
I cannot believe even with keyless entry, that there is no place, even passenger side, to open the door with the valet key

·
97,202 Posts
We don't doubt you Paul. Have you a picture of your driver's door handle for us?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot believe even with keyless entry, that there is no place, even passenger side, to open the door with the valet key
Honestly, there are no locks on the doors. There is absolutely nothing on the passenger side, just a handle. On the drivers side there is a plastic moulded insert where you expect to find the lock, it has a moulded picture of a key with an 'X' through it, the plastic insert is not removeable and looks to be factory fitted. I'm guessing this isn't a usual optional extra?

·
97,202 Posts
i see no locks....

so that idea is out.

let's wait for someone with a 2000 slk 320 to jump in

can you charge the battery in the car?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't doubt you Paul. Have you a picture of your driver's door handle for us?
If I could figure out the best way to upload pictures to the thread I would certainly do it, I also don't have the car nearby, it is away from the house with a flat battery!! Yes, I can jump start it, but with winter quickly approaching, I want to remove the battery and give it a proper charge. It is not possible to charge the battery on the car where I am / it is.

It is very spooky that you have got the colour of my car correct!! Maybe keyless entry is only common to Lazurite Blue 320's!!!

·
97,202 Posts
well just wait for one of our members to chime in that might have had this issue. my previous, previous 2002 slk320 had a keyhole.

·
97,202 Posts
here is how to upload pics anyway:

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is how to upload pics anyway:

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!

Thanks very much. Maybe now I can enter ROTM too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2004 (R170) SLK200 & Page 169 of Handbook says Remove cap from Drivers Door, are you sure the plastic plug will not lever out uncovering a normal key hole.
I will look at door handle later to satisfy myself

·
Registered
350 Posts
key less

a mate had same problem on his very modded toycar. he could unlock the boot by key though. i connected a battery to his rear loom (permanent live feed to an amplifier, no drain when it was off though) and he locked the doors. took battery away. when he wanted to unlock it i reconnected battery and he blipped button. job done.
you just need to find a wire in the boot that is live when ignition off and battery in place. then you fool the car into thinking battery is under bonnet still.
or run a couple of wires from battery connectors to the front of car, (make sure they cant earth out,) and hide them a bit.
remember this is only to unlock nothing else, wiring may burn out if high load on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.