Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

My 1997 SLK230K drives real nice, but when the boot is full of the wife's shopping, the back end tends to bottom out over big bumps. So, after investigating the underside it would appear that the shocks have had it, they are misted and look like the originals. The springs are totally rusted with flaky bits and so I would like to replace them at the same time too.

I am not really interested in lowering the car, done that in the past on other cars and it really isn't for me on this car. I understand from what other members have said that the normal suspension on the R170 is a good setup and best left as it is, and so I want to just swap out like for like, all standard.

With that in mind I popped into my local Motor Parts Direct to get a quote and availability for a set of shocks & springs all round. I was quoted £376 just for the shocks alone, I didn't bother asking about the springs but the chap said that the total cost would be in the region of £600-£700 for all the parts...I walked out empty handed :|

So, basically can anyone point me in the direction of a good UK outlet who can supply these parts at a sensible price, or am I no understanding that the above quote was reasonable?

Many thanks!

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,059 Posts
Hello everyone.

My 1997 SLK230K drives real nice, but when the boot is full of the wife's shopping, the back end tends to bottom out over big bumps. So, after investigating the underside it would appear that the shocks have had it, they are misted and look like the originals. The springs are totally rusted with flaky bits and so I would like to replace them at the same time too.

I am not really interested in lowering the car, done that in the past on other cars and it really isn't for me on this car. I understand from what other members have said that the normal suspension on the R170 is a good setup and best left as it is, and so I want to just swap out like for like, all standard.

With that in mind I popped into my local Motor Parts Direct to get a quote and availability for a set of shocks & springs all round. I was quoted £376 just for the shocks alone, I didn't bother asking about the springs but the chap said that the total cost would be in the region of £600-£700 for all the parts...I walked out empty handed :|

So, basically can anyone point me in the direction of a good UK outlet who can supply these parts at a sensible price, or am I no understanding that the above quote was reasonable?

Many thanks!

Main agent as in Mercedes for parts Genuine .

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies, very helpful indeed! I will have a peruse through the links.

Many thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.