Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was interested in getting a 4 or 5 inch display panel that shows Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, water Temperature, and Voltage as it plugs into the OBD2 port. I do not want to install the individual gauges for these things and believe there are displays available that reads and displays this data from the diagnostic port. I have never been a fan of nothing but idiot lights on performance cars.

If anyone can lead me to a specific product, thanks. As my car is fully stock I don't need to change the "tune" at this point, so anything more than $100 is way too high for such a simple display, as no tuning is required.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,204 Posts
Hi All,

I was interested in getting a 4 or 5 inch display panel that shows Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, water Temperature, and Voltage as it plugs into the OBD2 port. I do not want to install the individual gauges for these things and believe there are displays available that reads and displays this data from the diagnostic port. I have never been a fan of nothing but idiot lights on performance cars.

If anyone can lead me to a specific product, thanks. As my car is fully stock I don't need to change the "tune" at this point, so anything more than $100 is way too high for such a simple display, as no tuning is required.

@Padgett may have an idea for you on this. May need to reach out to him.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure on 55 but on 350 there is no oil pressure sensor.

No sensor at all on the 55 either. Crazy.

The single most important engine monitoring device and this German "supercar" has nothing. Kick up a small piece of steel on the road, it goes thru the plastic cover and cracks the CAST ALUMINUM oil pan and all of the oil leaks out of engine and just keep on driving until it locks up, great. All you would hear inside was a small "tunk" sound when this happened.

Reman engine $32,000 give or take.

I could not conceive that this might have been possible, or I would NOT have purchased the car, or any car so equipped. Now that I have the car, I will ADD the gauge with built in idiot light. Problem is, the "port" location happens to be in a bend of the serpentine belt, so routing will be very, very difficult.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,189 Posts
55 has oil temperature so if it leaked out there would be no temperature :D

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
364 Posts
Isn't the oil level monitored while driving, and flashed up as a warning if it drops below the recommended minimum? That would cover the leak-out scenario. Granted, this still doesn't cover failure of the oil pump or some other internal fault which might reduce oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the oil level monitored while driving, and flashed up as a warning if it drops below the recommended minimum? That would cover the leak-out scenario. Granted, this still doesn't cover failure of the oil pump or some other internal fault which might reduce oil pressure.

Yes, level is monitored, but engine has to be off for it to "register" so I do not know if programming while running would have an "indication" on loss of oil, and would doubt it would react fast enough to save that $32,000.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
364 Posts
Yes, level is monitored, but engine has to be off for it to "register" so I do not know if programming while running would have an "indication" on loss of oil, and would doubt it would react fast enough to save that $32,000.

I too like the idea of an actual gauge or readout on oil pressure. A downward trend over time could alert you to major service needed. It is also interesting to see how the pressure varies with temperature and rpm. However, a pressure gauge will not provide any warning of an on-going oil loss since the pressure will remain in-spec until the oil level drops below the oil pump pickup near the bottom of the sump. If a leak-out occurs, the oil level sensor will provide advance warning versus a pressure gauge.

The SLK owners manual seems to say that a level warning will be issued while driving. A red warning message is issued if the oil level drops off-sensor. I don't know the distance between the oil level sensor and the oil pump pickup, but it should be enough to allow you to get off the road and shut down safely, barring a sudden catastrophic loss of oil. And you'll probably know that immediately when you run over that anvil 0:)

My 1991 Miata had a real oil pressure sender and gauge, but my 2005 had only an "idiot gauge" connected to a pressure switch: zero or mid scale readings only. The story was that Mazda dealers got tired of calls from owners who did not understand how oil pressure varies with temperature and rpm, so they eliminated the real gauge... and saved a few dollars per vehicle too with cheaper instrumentation.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too like the idea of an actual gauge or readout on oil pressure. A downward trend over time could alert you to major service needed. It is also interesting to see how the pressure varies with temperature and rpm. However, a pressure gauge will not provide any warning of an on-going oil loss since the pressure will remain in-spec until the oil level drops below the oil pump pickup near the bottom of the sump. If a leak-out occurs, the oil level sensor will provide advance warning versus a pressure gauge.

The SLK owners manual seems to say that a level warning will be issued while driving. A red warning message is issued if the oil level drops off-sensor. I don't know the distance between the oil level sensor and the oil pump pickup, but it should be enough to allow you to get off the road and shut down safely, barring a sudden catastrophic loss of oil. And you'll probably know that immediately when you run over that anvil 0:)

My 1991 Miata had a real oil pressure sender and gauge, but my 2005 had only an "idiot gauge" connected to a pressure switch: zero or mid scale readings only. The story was that Mazda dealers got tired of calls from owners who did not understand how oil pressure varies with temperature and rpm, so they eliminated the real gauge... and saved a few dollars per vehicle too with cheaper instrumentation.

As I have actually watched it happen to me, just that it was in a V8 power boat, I saw the oil pressure start fluctuating and that alerted me an issue was occurring, by the time the pump was sucking in more air than oil, my hand was on the switch and by the time it actually hit 0, I was actively turning the key off. I do not know how long the time is from MB's red light until it actually goes to "0" but with a gauge, I am certain that I would see it in time to save the engine bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts