Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
* Registered
2003 SLK 200 Kompressor R170 Facelift Automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just join in the forum. I think this is the thread where I can post a question, but if not, please moderators make the corrections that you consider.
I am updating the braking system of the car and when i took out the rear discs I have seen that the handbrake pads look like this:

I think they are completely worn out, is it possible?
How can they wear out if they are only used to park the vehicle?

Regards.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,541 Posts
Hello everyone,
I just join in the forum. I think this is the thread where I can post a question, but if not, please moderators make the corrections that you consider.
I am updating the braking system of the car and when i took out the rear discs I have seen that the handbrake pads look like this:
View attachment 587736

I think they are completely worn out, is it possible?
How can they wear out if they are only used to park the vehicle?

Regards.
Good question..

To which Kent has a good answer

🙃

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,541 Posts
Thank you very much for your answer. I will chek the cable sistem before remove them.
No problem, Kent's videos on youtube are always worth looking for :)

You might find another part of that series is useful as well..

🙃

·
* Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After seeing the wear on the handbrake pads, and after watching these videos as well, I am afraid that the squeal I heard from the rear brakes was not a problem with the discs or pads, but there is a problem with the parking brake. I'll tell how the story ends.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
15,680 Posts
@AthalWulf Please complete your profile by adding the YEAR ! Thanks (y)

·
* Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the entire brake system has already been changed (discs, pads, hoses, fluid and caliper seals) and as it was disassembling I took the opportunity to paint the calipers in red. This is the result:
IMG_4966.JPG IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4970.JPG IMG_4961.JPG
After a week of driving it daily, the squeaks have disappeared, I have hardly heard a couple of them very slight on the way down to the garage, but nothing to do with the scandalous that was involved before when parking. As for the wear on the handbrake, I think it will simply be wear, the car now has 170,000km and I don't think they have been changed before, so I will have to replace it. I will have to look once the pads are changed how they are adjusted, do you know how to do it?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
952 Posts
Hi, looking at your first picture, I don’t think the shoe is worn out.
if you look at the thickness of the metal at the end of the shoe (past the pad material), that’s much thinner than the area with the pad.
if you clean up the side you should be able to see where the metal ends and the pad starts.

·
* Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comment. The photo is already with the shoe clean and as you can see, there is no change of material in it, so I think it is worn. At first when I saw it, I thought the same as you, but when I cleaned it and saw that there was no change of material in it (ferodo*-iron) I think it is certainly worn. In addition, in the last ITV (a technical inspection that we passed here in Spain) the handbrake was not able to stop the vehicle, I don't know if this works like this in this car, but in others I have had, with the handbrake he was able to stop it completely.

*Ferodo....is that correct? I mean the material what normally brake pads are made...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts