Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have the opportunity to buy an '05 SLK55 AMG in Iridium Silver with Black and Red interior with less than 19K miles for $30,000. It has been driven just 4,000 miles over the last 3 years.

It has Airscarf, COMAND/Nav/Harmon Kardon, Sat radio, Bi-Xenons - most options except 030 AMG Perf Pkg, Designo, and maybe 1 or 2 others.

The car belongs to an acquaintance of a friend who has too many vehicles. It has had 2 total owners.

I took a ride in the car and it's awesome! Drives great and looks killer, although the paint has been touched up in some spots (by a non-professional grrrr) and the underside of the front bumper is quite heavily scratched. Otherwise it looks like new inside and out. All maintenance is done and there are no issues/problems.

Questions:

1) Is the price good (same as what the local MB dealer offered)?
2) Are there any known '05 model-year recalls/problems?
3) Do I hold out for another low-mileage one in more pristine condition?

Help, so torn - to buy or not to buy this SLK!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,151 Posts

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I would never buy a first year model. A very small percentage had oil consumption issues. There are plenty of 2006 in your price range, I would look into those.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Price is way too high. Less than $25,000 based on options, condition, relative low mileage, and desirable paint and interior combination. Paint issue could be a major deal breaker or warrant further price reduction. No oil consumption issues on the SLK 55. As Durk stated, first SLK 55 less than $20,000 reported. Sad for owners, good for buyers, prices used are becoming very reasonable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 2006 for $19,500 looks to be a great deal and I'm not knocking that in the least. But we are talking about very different scenarios here with the 2006 having 80k miles on it versus a mere 19k miles for the 2005. And you cannot go by the mileage adjustments that KBB and others use to determine a suitable price. The reason is that these adjustments are linear (each mile worth the same) and that model falls apart when a vehicle has ultra low miles. Miles on a new vehicle (identical model) are worth more than ones on a highly used sample that is worn out.

So while the 2005 might cost 50% more you have to balance it out with the fact that the 2006 has already seen the better half of its useful miles used up (assuming most cars are of negligible value once they hit 150k miles). I think both are worthy of your consideration. Some parts will wear based on age regardless of miles. Others are very mileage sensitive. So that $10K you might save upfront with the 2006 is likely to shrink quickly once you start replacing parts. Another item to factor in.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,944 Posts
I don't see the fascination with ultra-low-mileage cars.

The flipside of having a car with 60K or more miles on it is that it also has had the bugs worked out of it. The number of items fixed on my 350 under warranty during the first 4 years was quite impressive. A car that has 10K miles on it is barely broken in and all kinds of things might be on the verge of breaking that could have been fixed under warranty never to break again, but are now coming out of the new owners wallet. Also, I'm not so sure that barely driving a car is all that good for it mechanically.

That said, if anyone wants to pay $30K for a 7-8 year old SLK that's up to them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought an 06 in perfect condition, no scratches, perfect paint, 25,000 miles with Nav, sirius, loaded, all service records for $30K. I think that price for an 05 with the issues you stated is too much. I would say 23K would be more like it because of the issues.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,441 Posts
The prices on the 171 are dropping now that the 172 has two years on it. The past two years have taken a hit on the 171 and the 170s are now getting down to 10 or less. Low miles or high miles there are good and bad on both side of that question. The question is how am I going to use it. It is a garage queen or a daily driver. How long do I plan to keep it. Is it just for fun as a second car or the only car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.