Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car last week I noticed a few spots on the wheels which looked like water spots, common with the water here in the DC area. The car dealer had it washed and it looked good. Nothing abnormal with the exterior.
As the week progressed I noticed what looked like water spots on a number of areas on the sides of a car. Duly noted for my detailing I plan tomorrow.

Today we had a light rain in DC and when I got to my car it had numerous "water spots" all over the vehicle. The windshield was spotty so I ran the windshield washer. The wipers looked like it cleaned off this fine dust (which I hadnt noticed earlier in the week during the rain). This dust seems to coagulate with rain etc and generate spots all over the car. Judging by the color it looks like typical Mid-Atlantic clay dust....or it could be cement dust. That is how fine it is.
The car also has this slippery feel like a really cheap wax was applied.

The car was purchased used and I prefer to clean it on my own. Needless to say I want to clean it and not scratch the clear coat if I can.

I am reading everything from 50-50 vinegar/water to power washing to letting a hose run on it until it is gone. My basic plan:
Spray car with 10:1 water/P21S High Performance Total Auto Wash
Wash car with Meguiars (is 50/50 vinegar better?)
Dry and examine
repeat as needed
Clay the car
wash and examine
Have a Guinness.
Polish windows
Polish car with ______

Does this seem like a workable game-plan?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Perhaps the easiest thing to use is a "clay bar" This looks like a bar of soft soap and you use it with your favorite car polish to "rub" down the finish. Yes, it is slightly abrasive but you can do this to your car many, many times before it does anything bad to your finish.

Google "clay bar" to find out what it is.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. That is one of the steps I plan to take after I get as much of the dust off as I can.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When Sunhilde arrived in bedraggled condition, this is the regimen I chose:
1. Thoroughly wash car with Griot's Garage car wash.
2. Empty out wash buckets and repeat step one.
3. Use Griot's Garage Paint prep as directed. This citrus-based cleaner will strip old waxes and silicones from the paint so that future product applications don't generate adverse chemical reactions.
4. Use Griot's Garage Paint Cleaning Clay and thoroughly clay the entire car. Twice.
5. Polish car with 6" ramdom orbital buffer and Griot's #4 polish (very, very fine; possibly too fine as some scratches remain...but I'm wary of getting to aggressive).
6. Wax car with Griot's Best of Show wax.

Sunhilde absolutely gleamed after this treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts