Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.

When I bought my SLK55 AMG bodykit, I bought the MB Bi-Xenons from the same car at the same time.

This was stupid as I forgot to consider that the beam pattern would be wrong for the UK. On top of that the car is american, meaning they don't include the indicators.

This means I have to sell them to an American. I am writing this because I am in for over £1100 and need to free up the cash to pay for other bits on the car.

so what do I do? I don't think as a UK ebay member I can sell on ebay, can I sell in the US through a proxy?

I have adverts on here, mbworld and benzworld, but not only are they not sold but the numbers of viewers of the threads are tiny.

am I missing something? I thought these were a highly desirable item and would be fairly easy to sell.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Adam

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I'm sure you can sell to the US from eBay. I buy stuff from all over the world there. I'm not sure there is a huge market for the lights however. I'd keep them for sale, here and there. There are other US options, such as craigslist, but those probably aren't available to someone from the UK.

John (UK-C200) might have some ideas, as he has presence in both countries...

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Many of the SLK have the factory xenons. Most that don't have them don't care or not willing to spend the money. Most can live without the expense in these difficult times and the hassle of retrofitting the factory xenon light assemblies. I've seen your post on all the forums. My SLK has the factory xenons, my wife's SLK 350 does not. I purchased a new set several years ago for her car, stated as being new, and returned them when I realized they were used. You need to set a rock bottom price for the lights and then add a realistic shipping charge depending on where they ship to. The price you referenced, I assume 1100 pounds, is around $800 USD, is that close? I see used factory SLK xenon light assemblies for sell all the time on eBay. Most have broken tabs. One person is selling individual left and right assemblies, WITHOUT ballast and bulbs for $400 each which is BS. What is the conditiion of the lights assemblies you have for sell? Are they a matched set off the same car? Is there any physical damage to the lenses, any broken or repaired tabs? Most wouldn't attempt to install the washer assemblies. I made the mistake of checking out the washer system on my SLK and I'll never push that button again. In my opinion, the washer system adds zero value to the deal. There is a seller on eBay selling brand new HID SLK assemblies for $1498.00 USD with $118 shipping to the USA. He is willing to accept offer and no idea what they would actually sell for. Good luck with the sale, but in your post, provide a firm, bottom line price, with some idea of added shipping.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
. . .

This was stupid as I forgot to consider that the beam pattern would be wrong for the UK. On top of that the car is american, meaning they don't include the indicators.
Adam, I think you're worrying about nothing. The pictures on your other post clearly show indicators.

Also, you can set the lights for driving on the left or right - check out THIS thread. It sounds fidly to adjust when the lights are in the car, but with them out it should be easy. If you can't see an obvious adjuster, I'd check with Dan.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam, I think you're worrying about nothing. The pictures on your other post clearly show indicators.

Also, you can set the lights for driving on the left or right - check out THIS thread. It sounds fidly to adjust when the lights are in the car, but with them out it should be easy. If you can't see an obvious adjuster, I'd check with Dan.
Certainly does look like an indicator in there. No idea what is meant by keyed though!

I suppose with the lights out it should be easier to see what's going on.

They should arrive tomorrow or friday from Latvia so I'll have a look and work out if it's possible.

I have an MB service booked for friday anyway, so can ask kindly if they can help out.

If they can be changed, then it's a no brainer, I'll keep them, which was the reason i bought them in the first place.

I have neverf tinkered with OEM xenons before so have to ask, will the loom on the car for the dip and main beam have the same multiplug for an incandescent bulb as it does xenon bulb.

Eg. will it be plug and play or will I have to butcher my standard loom to get some spade connectors on to plug into the Xenons?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sadly the switchable beam pattern does not apply to US lights.

I therefore have to sell them.

The good thing is they arrived from latvia and so did my wheels. I'm guessing I'll have to take a loss but the price I paid for the bodykit and wheels makes this loss easier to swallow.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'd absolutely love to have them, but 1) I probably don't want to spend the money. 2) I probably don't want to figure out how to do this to a brand new car, or have the car programmed for them or whatever.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sadly the switchable beam pattern does not apply to US lights.

I therefore have to sell them.

The good thing is they arrived from latvia and so did my wheels. I'm guessing I'll have to take a loss but the price I paid for the bodykit and wheels makes this loss easier to swallow.
Oops, you got them from Latvia? You probably overpaid. I wouldn't want to presume anything, but just for the sake of curiosity, look up Latvia on the Interpol website, or on CIA.gov.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops, you got them from Latvia? You probably overpaid. I wouldn't want to presume anything, but just for the sake of curiosity, look up Latvia on the Interpol website, or on CIA.gov.
Why does the origin alter the price?

The price should be set by supply and demand surely?

I bought some wheels and a full slk55 amg bodykit and am so far very pleased with the results.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Why does the origin alter the price?

The price should be set by supply and demand surely?

I bought some wheels and a full slk55 amg bodykit and am so far very pleased with the results.
Latvia has been noted as a center for stolen car parts.

I'm sure the post was in jest, but it still might be prudent to make sure anytime one buys internationally to always use a guaranteed payment method and insured shipping.

We're a very international bunch (including our spammers!), and as we've all seen here, purchasing and shipping can vary dramatically from country to country. Different countries have significantly different restrictions regarding the source of purchase. It always is a good idea to be careful.

But it can be VERY useful to have diverse sources. WhyBeGood just had shocks shipped to me, and I then forwarded them to her, saving her a bit over the cost in NZ. I'm still surprised that vendors sometimes refuse to ship overseas.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I totally agree.

I'd only buy from these companies via paypal. The guy I deslt with has been brutally honest and highly trustworthy.

A very decent guy and I'd recommend anyone wanting to buy bits from a salvage slk 55 amg to speak to him.

He even surprised me with a nice bar of latvian chocolate. My dad greatly enjoyed that!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Interesting that the parts are from a salvaged car. How do you check that they are not from a stolen car?
:confused:As a legitimate consumer, that's not my responsibility. I wouldn't buy any "known" stolen items. I don't buy from shady characters in dark alleys, but online from all sources, flea market, etc. I have no way of knowing, so I purchase with a clear conscience.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Interesting that the parts are from a salvaged car. How do you check that they are not from a stolen car?
I'm not sure you'd ever have any way of knowing. Except for the Vise Grip marks and cut wires. Other than that, you just need to be careful as a consumer. Buy from someone you trust, and from whom you have a means of recourse should the part be faulty or broken.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am seriously considering taking them apart.

I am sure I can fit the lenses from a non BIX light into the bix. Or perhaps move the BIX bulb and balast over to my non BIX lamps.

I think I might experiment on the BIX though, rather than my own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.