Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a dumb.

3 weeks ago I was changing the turn signal lamps and broke one of the brackets on the front turn signal housing.
Instead of getting a replacement assembly, I opted for a quick fix and used JB Weld PlasticWeld to affix the turn signal lamp housing permanently to the headlight.
As I did this I thought "There's no way this could have any reprecussions in the future, right?"

Jinx'd.

Got into an accident and had to replace a bumper, a hood, a light assembly, and a fender, plus had to have frame work done.
Everything is now replaced/repaired except the bumper. And the JB Weld'd light assembly, which is on the OTHER side from the one that was hit.

I have a new bumper from MB, don't want to replace the light assembly if I don't have to, but I see no way to get the old light out without removing the turn signal housing.
Please help! Damage to the old bumper is OK since I have a new one but I would prefer not to hurt the fender.

And to preempt any questions about separating, I hit the absolute hell out of the entire turn signal assembly with JB Weld, removing it will destroy the whole light assembly. :( Or at least make it unusable :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
And to preempt any questions about separating, I hit the absolute hell out of the entire turn signal assembly with JB Weld, removing it will destroy the whole light assembly. :( Or at least make it unusable :p
Ok, so there will be limited space and you will hate yourself, but as a desperate last attempt, try reaching around back and breaking off this piece of plastic covering, then MAYBE if the signal light housing itself is not on the bolt, you can reach a ratchet or wrench in there to free it. If in the end you cannot, and you will have to spend money on a new light, at least have fun and use a hammer lol
Will you be replacing the light on the side that got hit as well? May as well get a set so they match and not have one foggy and one clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so there will be limited space and you will hate yourself, but as a desperate last attempt, try reaching around back and breaking off this piece of plastic covering, then MAYBE if the signal light housing itself is not on the bolt, you can reach a ratchet or wrench in there to free it. If in the end you cannot, and you will have to spend money on a new light, at least have fun and use a hammer lol
Will you be replacing the light on the side that got hit as well? May as well get a set so they match and not have one foggy and one clear.
The light on the side that got hit was replaced with a new one, so they currently don't match. Unfortunately finances are tight and I wasn't able to get both yet. I don't like the asymmetry but I figure it's only for a couple months lol

I wonder if I can remove the wheel well liner and get in to the other side of the bolt... hmm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.