Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just happened today after I got to work. I locked my car and my alarm went off. I unlocked it and it turned off. My car is currently unlocked sitting in the parking lot.

I tried a few random things:
Locking the car (siren goes off) and then holding the panic button. The siren would pause for a sec and resume.
I then unlocked the car, siren still on and I pressed the panic button again to shut it off but the car is unlocked.
I checked all the lights, no system lights are on.
I drove the car around, closer to my building (since I have to leave it unlocked) I locked it and the siren went off.
I tried using the key to manually lock the car. Siren still goes off.

A coworker suggested a hard reset by unplugging the battery for awhile and then plugging it back in but I haven't tried that yet. Would like to hear your opinions first.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,798 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but it seems the most often suggested method (here) for electrical problems is the hard reset that your coworker suggested. If you have the time (as it's only ~ 9 a.m. there, try it if you have the wrench. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just remember to reset windows, etc when you re-connect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but it seems the most often suggested method (here) for electrical problems is the hard reset that your coworker suggested. If you have the time (as it's only ~ 9 a.m. there, try it if you have the wrench. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just remember to reset windows, etc when you re-connect.
Qiuck question:
Why to reset windows?
First time i hear this..thx

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G900F folosind Tapatalk

·
13,798 Posts
IIRC, when the battery is disconnected, certain systems (windows, abs I think, etc) "forget" their settings. For windows, they may not work correctly (they're supposed to drop a bit when door opens, go up when door closes, etc) and may not do that properly.

For the windows, in your owner's manual:

get in car
close door
start car
open windows
close windows but lean on 'up' button for 2 seconds until 'click
done

For the steering, its start the car and turn the wheels all the way to the left then all the way to the right then centre.

This is all from memory and may be slightly off in the reasons and method but it is pretty close to what is needed after a battery disconnect of at least 30 minutes.

Others more knowledgeable than me will chime in pretty soon so hang tight :wink:

Found (online) a bit more detailed explanation of the reset. Some of this may not be applicable to you and your car as I'm not familiar enough with the different procedures associated with different models. You won't do any damage following this though:

So, you just installed the new battery in your Mercedes, and now you have all these malfunction lights on. Who knew replacing a battery would be so complicated?

What happened when you disconnected the battery is the memory in multiple control units has been erased. This causes features like the express open and close on the windows to not operate, the sunroof does not one touch open or close, the steering angle sensor loses it normalization which is what causes the ABS, ESP, and BAS lights to come on. Also what happens on some vehicles is the radio goes into antitheft mode, and flashes CODE until you enter the correct radio code.

Now what should you do? First the windows and sunroof need to be normalized, which basically means the window motors need to learn where the end stops are. To do this you use the window switch to open the window, and when the window reaches fully open position keep holding the switch for about five seconds. Then close the window, and again hold the window switch in the closed position for about five seconds after the window reaches the fully closed postion. Repeat for all the windows, you will know it is sucessfull when express open and close works.

Now the sunroof, hold the sunroof switch in the closed position. The sunroof will open to the vent postion, keep holding the switch for 5 seconds. You will know you are successfull when the one touch open and close works. To renormalize the steering angle sensor you will need to turn the steering wheel with the vehicle running from the fully locked left postion to the fully locked right postion ending with the steering wheel centered. After you have done this cycle the key off then on and the malfunctions should now be off.

If your vehicle requires a radio code and you dont have it a quick phone call to your local Mercedes dealer will fix this problem. They will ask for your VIN number and with that they will be able to look up the radio code. If the code they give you doesnt work that usually means that your radio has been replaced at some point. To get the correct radio in this case you will need to remove the radio headunit to retrieve the radio serial number. With the radio serial number your Mercedes dealer will be able to provide you with the correct radio code.

Do not enter the wrong radio code too many times because the radio will enter wait mode which will not allow you to enter the radio code.

Reactions: Gaby Rus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to note that the alarm goes off immediate after the 3 flashes from locking the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,340 Posts
Qiuck question:
Why to reset windows?
First time i hear this..thx

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G900F folosind Tapatalk
Window reset only for r171 and r172
Not for your r170

·
13,798 Posts
Ok, I tried the hard reset. It still does not work. Any other suggestions?
If you waited the 30+ minutes, then you'll need to wait for others to post their thoughts. Keep in mind it's early (and late for a lot as well) in the day for a lot of the more experienced members so rest assured, help will arrive :wink:

edit-->see, Jeff has arrived :grin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you waited the 30+ minutes, then you'll need to wait for others to post their thoughts. Keep in mind it's early (and late for a lot as well) in the day for a lot of the more experienced members so rest assured, help will arrive :wink:

edit-->see, Jeff has arrived :grin:
Waiting... waiting... waiting... =) Just a bit impatient when I'm at work knowing my car is sitting outside unlocked. Sorry about that. I wanted to try several things before having to take it to the shop.

I don't see any alarm fuses. Do you know where the wire is?

·
97,340 Posts
So you removed the negative cable from the battery for at least 30 minutes?
@El_Toro_33809

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you removed the negative cable from the battery for at least 30 minutes?

@El_Toro_33809

Yes. When I plugged it back in and locked the car, the alarm didn't go off. I then got into the car and turned it on for a sec. I saw a BAS/ESP check light on. I turned off the car and left. I locked the car and then... ALARM. =/ I thought it worked for a second but it didn't.

·
97,340 Posts
Per your manual
When disconnecting battery
You have to turn steering wheel left n right to reset esp/bas
Did you? Procedure in manual

·
97,340 Posts
Read about the procedure n how to do it
Not the expert :D
At 36000 feet. At the moment
I know230s have to do it

·
97,340 Posts
You never know
Have you also checked or replaced alarm battery

·
97,340 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
You never know
Have you also checked or replaced alarm battery
We had a similar alarm issue with our 1999 R170 and it was the battery in the alarm. Although the alarm is basically sealed, we opened it up to inspect. The battery looks like the kind that a cordless house phone uses. I checked online and at a Batteries Plus store but couldn't find a replacement. Ended up purchasing a new alarm and that did the trick.

The alarm is located under the plastic panel below the windshield between the wiper blades.

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, so this is what happened. I waited until after work, ~ another 4 hours after my last post. I did research on where the alarm fuse should be and was planning on checking on that and taking out the fuse for the alarm if needed. I went out there and figured I'll try to lock it one more time before taking out the fuse and there was no alarm. Opened the door, closed it, locked it again... no alarm. Turned on the car, saw BAS/ESP and turned my steering wheel to the left then all the way to the right and the light went off. Drove home, locked car and it's still good today. I still get anxious when locking though. But everything worked out for now.

My assumptions after doing research was that something could have been wet and it dried up? We did have a massive rain on Friday with some flooding, but it was fine over the weekend so I didn't think that was the issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.