Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK280
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on new tires for my 2008 SLK 280.

Currently I have BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp2, size 225/45ZR17 tires on the front and Falken Ziex ZE 619, size 245 40/ZR17 91W tires on the rear. They are rather noisy and hard.

The lead in my right foot has migrated about two feet higher in my body, so I don't need really high performance tires. We tend to cruise rather than push the envelope.

I'm more interested in tires that are quiet, with a soft ride. Good tire mileage would also be a benefit.

Continental Pro Contacts have been recommended, but Discount Tire does not carry them in my area. I've had great luck with Discount Tire and would prefer to use them as my supplier.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and am not committed to any particular brand of tire. I hope you can help.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Reactions: ziatexas

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
82 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4, very good and noticeable more quite than most alternatives. Had Continental before.
(18", 235 front, 255 rear).
:)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,133 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,441 Posts
Ok you say performance is no longer high on the list. You might want to look at Conti EXTREMECONTACT DWS. Many on the board have spoke of using these. I have used them n the past. Currently have them on the front.

·
Premium Member 2006 Slk 55 AMG
80 Posts
As said before both CONTI's or Pilot Super sports will work, My car came with CONTI's but I swapped them for Pilots, but my right foot is still heavy :)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK280
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires and had them installed yesterday. They smoothed out and quieted the ride significantly.

I also decided to replace the struts/shocks with Bilstein B6 struts and shocks. Unfortunately, they are not locally available here in the hinterlands of New Mexico (or even El Paso), but have been ordered by my Indi alignment shop and should arrive on Friday. Installation is scheduled for Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.