Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went from new 350z to c300 to 2nd new c300 4matic , and now kids are gone and want cheaper toy. Looking at a 2006 SLK two owner car with 43k miles in mint condition for 16k. We don't need the new 350 rocket or amg. Just a fun car. Question: price seems fair, what if any issues in that year and model? Any advise greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
California Dreamin
2006 SLK 280
13,753 Posts
I've had mine for a little over 2 months and haven't had a problem yet and I got it with a little 100,000 miles on it.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
As Jeff noted, the balance shaft issue is the major problem that can afflict these cars. It is comparatively rare, however. At 43k miles, the car you are looking at is vulnerable since that issue usually crops up at 40-60k miles (though there are statistical outliers that have lasted much longer). Look for threads here about how to inspect for sprocket wear and have that done as part of a PPI.

As a 280 owner, I find it to be powerful enough for my needs...I'd rather be able to flog a lesser car closer to it's limits than have to hang on to one that's vastly more capable and beyond my skills. And I say that having autocrossed for years; I know how to handle a car. Get one with a six-speed manual, as they are a delight to drive.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
datacard posted for you in other thread

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
unless you have maintenance records or have spoken to previous owner, there is no way to know if issue occurred or was corrected

·
Registered
83 Posts
I brought my 280 on a 2008 plate in September last year, it has about the same mileage as the car you're considering. I have to say I love it to bits and am well and truly bitten by the SLK bug. it's only a matter of time before I upgrade to the 55 to keep up with the Jones's but the 280 isn't a slow car and has (almost) respectable fuel consumption. I've got to say £16k sounds a bit steep though, I brought mine for £10k with a good warranty.
Good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry, just realised your location, so the 16k you refer too is $ and not £. roughly speaking therefore, the price is comparable to what I paid for my (right hand drive) 2008 car

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Aside from the aforementioned Balance Shaft issue, it really comes down to how well the car was maintained in it's past life. If they have a service history (with no anomalies) and the car passes PPI then you should be set for smooth sailing.

I have been for a spirited drive in @Beeksters 280 and it is hella fun. Do not feel like you are getting the "cheap" version - nothing cheap at all about any trim level of these cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.