Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once my car sits for a number of days, there is a wind noise with the top up that is very noticeable. So I pull over and engage the top button in the "Close" direction and that fixes it. When I do that, I hear what sounds like parts moving behind me, like maybe the top is closing completely. For the rest of the day, everything is fine.

So yesterday I pulled into the garage while everything was nice and quiet with no wind noise. Out if curiosity I again pushed the top button in the "Close" direction and I hear that sound again. So I'm wondering if one or two of you would press your top button in the "Close" direction for me while your top is already up and tell me if you hear the sound of parts moving.

I'd like to solve my wind noise issue, but would like to know what's normal first. I rebuilt my locking roof cylinder several months ago and this issue may have cropped up after that. If you all report back to me that the noise is normal, then my next step will likely be to remove the headliner and watch things in the roof mechanism for a few trips.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I just have tried mine. I hear the pump start engaging and I see the roof gaining tension as if it wants to close. Then it stops and everything's fine. So I guess it's normal.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
May need some sildenafil in the hydraulic fluid to maintain the pressure :biglaugh:

Sorry about being not helpful, but that was the first thought that came to mind :D

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick service - thanks guys. I'll give the fluid level a quick check, but since there has never been a leak, I expect that to be okay. Then I'll pop the headliner and watch things for a few trips and hopefully figure it out. Maybe the dipstick who repaired my locking cylinder did something wrong - entirely possible. :)

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
Quite normal. when you press the button the pump runs and the roof goes through the cycle of checking all the relevant locks and interlocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.