Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has been running and driving fine until I got under the hood to do some much needed work.
I fixed my super charger problem.:tu:
I put on my ASP pulley, relocated my MAF, 2 step colder plugs and high fuel flow regulator as per the ASP instructions.

Now car turns over but acts like it is not getting spark.
Checked plugs. Getting spark from cylinder closest to the front of the car. other plugs not getting spark.
Switched coil packs and got no spark at all. Then switched coil packs back and got no spark at all again. Any ideas?

Put back original fuel regulator, original plugs but still nothing.

STRONG gas smell from tail pipe.

Out of about 10 tries to start car I got 1 almost start. rest of the time it just turned over.

Had a few backfires out of tail pipe while trying to start.

Checked fuses in dash and under hood on drivers side. Are there any other fuses to check?

Any helpwould be appreciated.

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a $100 code reader. It gives NO codes. Just flashes that codes cannot be read.

I wonder if that is because I disconnect the battery when I work on the car and the computer is resetting?

I reconnect battery, try to start car and the code reader still flashes unable to read codes?

Unable to cycle thru test.

Can't cross wires on the 170 the way the coil packs are set up. It only lets you hook them up one way.

Good thoughts tho:tu:

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
All i can tell you is to look at the work you did before this problem started and see if something is connected wrong. Did you have a look at the K40?

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thinking. I replaced that last year. I'll go out and check that right now. It's only 11pm. still early.

Thanks for the suggestion!:tu:

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK.
K40 looks awesome, inside and out. Like new.

fuses all good.

I took Maf piping apart to make sure I did not leave any rags in the piping.
All clear.

Can the timing be checked on this car?

·
17,144 Posts
If you’re thinking that the timing was changed by replacing the crank pulley that can't happen, the pulley and the crank are keyed and can only go on one way. The timing can be checked but that would be a trip to a dealer or an Indy with the right equipment.

·
17,144 Posts
You said that you replaced the K40 last year, why? was there any difference after replacing it? when you pulled the plugs were they wet? Did you remove any wires from the injectors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there, I was living in Houston until 3 yrs ago and had a great MB (Greenway dealership) mechanic who did lots of work on the side. I'll send him an email asking him to look onto this website and hopefully he can help you. As it's night time there now he probably wont be online lol so maybe a delay there. Good luck, Saska

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replace K40 due to old one had burned marks on solder areas. Car ran fine but I thought it was a safe move to replace it. I still have the old one.

Removed plugs, not much if any gas in cylinders. I expected plugs to be wet but they were not.

But there sure is a heavy gas smell out the muffler like it is flooded?

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there, I was living in Houston until 3 yrs ago and had a great MB (Greenway dealership) mechanic who did lots of work on the side. I'll send him an email asking him to look onto this website and hopefully he can help you. As it's night time there now he probably wont be online lol so maybe a delay there. Good luck, Saska
Sent all my contact info to you in private msg.
THANKS!

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you’re thinking that the timing was changed by replacing the crank pulley that can't happen, the pulley and the crank are keyed and can only go on one way. The timing can be checked but that would be a trip to a dealer or an Indy with the right equipment.
Reason I am worried about my timing...

I tried to turn crank bolt but motor turned.
Someone once told me to brace against the ground and turn over car motor to break it loose. that did not work.

So I ended up putting a screw driver in fly wheel under car. then I was able to break it loose.

Could any of that cause timing issue?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sent all my contact info to you in private msg.
THANKS!
Yep I got it but can't respond to you via PM as i'm a newbie. I have sent the mechanic an email and as it's not been returned I'm hoping it's still his current one as I've not been in contact with him since I returned to the UK 3 yrs ago. Once I hear back I will give him your contact details.

I always think of Fuddruckers when Houston is mentioned.....what I wouldn't give for one just now even though it's breakfast time here in the UK.

Saska

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Best Hamburgers around!
Almost 1:30am here. 80 degrees, wind blowing...i'm sweating working on the car in the driveway and laptoping on the motor as I go. LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Best Hamburgers around!
Almost 1:30am here. 80 degrees, wind blowing...i'm sweating working on the car in the driveway and laptoping on the motor as I go. LOL
Awww have one for me next time you go, with the jalapeno cheese on top :tu:

I guessed if you were posting from TX you were up pretty early or pretty late! Hey, I dont miss that weather one bit.....we survived Ike....what a nightmare!!! Came right through out subdivision....scary as hell!!!

Saska :)

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it all back together. going to bed.
Good talking with you.

Thanks everyone for your help!:tu:

SLKman
Brent

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Reason I am worried about my timing...

I tried to turn crank bolt but motor turned.
Someone once told me to brace against the ground and turn over car motor to break it loose. that did not work.

So I ended up putting a screw driver in fly wheel under car. then I was able to break it loose.

Could any of that cause timing issue?
You would only have (valve) timing issues if you have disturbed/removed the crank or camshafts chain sprockets. These are keyed onto the shafts, so turning the crank bolt would not affect the timing.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,730 Posts
is the crank position sensor anywhere near to where you put the screwdriver into the flywheel to lock the crank up.

not sure of its location myself but if you have moved or damged it ,think that would give you a none start problem but would crank over.

have seen it b4 but not on a slk

just a thought

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.