Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE (NJ,NY,CT,PA) SLK 2010 Meet!

8K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE

2010 NE SLK Spring Meet - May 8th (Saturday)

10:30am – Meet At Starbucks
10 Michael Avenue, Farmingdale, NY

11:00am – TTmotorsports venture (more info:
http://www.ttmotorsports.com/about.htm)
200 Broad Hollow Rd, Farmingdale, Suffolk, New York 11735

12:30pm – Lunch (TBD – Most likely a quick bite i.e Pizza or BBQ at
TTmotorsports)

1:30pm – Head towards Hamptons / Montauk Lighthouse
2000 Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954-5600

6:00pm – Dinner at Hamptons / Montauk (TBD)

7:30pm – Head Home

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...ddr=10+Michael
+Avenue,+Farmingdale,+NY&daddr=200+Broad+Hollow
+Rd,+Farmingdale,+Suffolk,+New+York+11735+to:2000+ Montauk
+Highway,+Montauk,+NY+11954-5600+(Montauk+Point
+Lighthouse)&geocode=FdhxbQIdEKKf-ymZsg-52yroiTHq2XjkoId2Mg%3BFQBBbQIdZJGf-ymPKLG00iroiTF0at1UQ6s88g%3BFeexcgIdyou3-yGQIpgc9gBBPSkJj74K2FXviTH-lx0C7awU5A&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=40.889265,-72.6433&sspn=1.027784,1.760559&ie=UTF8&ll=40.92596 5,-72.57843&spn=1.027204,1.760559&z=9

=========================

May 1st 2010 first SLK NE meet of the year. Please sign up on third page for a day of fun and excitement while cruising/sprinting to the Hamptons and stop at a reputable Tech Shop - Don't Miss this Event! More details to follow soon...

=========================
Hey guys,

Thought it's about time we start planning our First 2010 meet :)
Firstly, we need to pick a spot and map out roads, so I'll throw CT as an idea as we've already done NJ and PA (I wouldn't mind doing it again). Any suggestions?

Please start entering your nicks below if you think you can make it. We will be re confirming as time gets closer. We should do this sometime first week of March or very end of Feb.

1) d3athr0w
2)
3)

See less See more
#2 ·
I am always game for an SLK meet. February in Connecticut might not be a good idea. Pretty good chance of snow and cold until nearly April in the hills. We should plan an early summer meet in CT. I get out on occasion, but the SLK has been in the garage a lot recently. Took a nice ride yesterday and again this morning, just a little to cold and wet to really enjoy. Hope all is well and I look forward to our next meet

1) d3athr0w
2) Connecticut Roy
3)

#3 ·
Mine's been garaged too, but I did get few days of 46F temps top down drivings this season :).

Okay so we will leave CT for summer. Weather permitting we can do it in PA or NJ (as long as temp is above 45) Anyone else have recommendations or know of good roads. I hope new SLK owners from east coast will chime in....

1) d3athr0w
2) Connecticut Roy
3)

#4 ·
Wanted to bump this thread. I was thinking, should we arrange to stop over a tech shop (I.e Ttmotoraports in LI Ny or some other tuner shop in the area), for tour/education? Anyone else have any other idea, feel free to jump in. We did wine tasting last time and I wouldn't mind it again at different spots.

#6 ·
Giving this thread a bump. With a blizzard and all, i'm sure you guys can't wait till spring hits. I'm hoping we can do this 1st week of March....if NE folks looking at this, please chime in with ideas for this event.

1) d3athr0w
2) Connecticut Roy
3)

#11 ·
Roy, Mo just going to add some carbon fiber pieces. New front spoiler (plan on purching from the slk store) should weigh 20 to 25lbs. lighter than the carlsson fiber glass spoiler that I have.Possibly carbon side mirror covers from chromeTec and door stills.Going for a different look. Plan on going lighter and replacing the front spoiler is a start and if everything goes right I want to replace my rims and go with 18 inch dymags(big big $$$$) Fronts weigh 14lbs and rears weigh 17.5 that would shave a combine 31-32lbs of unsprung weight from my already 19inch carlsson ultra light rims that are on the car now. A huge gain in making the car go faster (check out there site at www.dymag.com). I can't tap into anymore hp from the engine so lighter is the way to go.I plan on getting from Renntech their adjustable caster/camber kit also when I bring the car in march. Not to be confussed but the dymags are something I'm looking at getting in another year to year an a half.

#14 ·
1) d3athr0w
2) Connecticut Roy
3) Lucky6600

I thought the top down season is still at least 2 months away. However, as long as it's the right weekend, I am in and it doesn't really matter where it's going to be. I had been driven the SLK as much as I could, but those summer tires didn't really like the low temp that much. I really can't wait the summer comes...toys time!!

Ken, I really want to see your car when it's done and see you push it.

#15 ·
Ching - you may be right. I'm aiming for 3/27 (Sat) or 3/28 (Sun). The average weather during that time is in high 50's or low 60's (top-down doable). Obviously we'll have to watch the weather as we get closer to the meet date. If you guys prefer other dates, just give a shout.

Ching - i agree with tires, i wasn't getting much traction either so i bought winter performance tires. What a day and night difference. It indeed gives better traction on cold roads but doesn't have the same kind of grip you get from summer tires (specially in turns). I haven't driven it in snow, so no clue what the traction would be at that time.

I was talking to someone recently on scenic drives and they mentioned Allentown Nj and something about Imlay's mansion. With some googling skills, i think i found the spot for the early season drive. We could all meet at one place and then drive together to Allentown for the scenic drive. I yet have to figure our stops, but this is a first crack at it:

Here is info on Allentown (historic site): http://www.allentownnj.com/
Here is the map for the drive (needs to be better defined): http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/scenic/pdf/upperfreehold.pdf

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Please sign your names below if you haven't done so already for the 2010 meet. We hope that most of you can make it:

1) d3athr0w
2) Connecticut Roy
3) Lucky6600
4)
5)

#17 ·
Reactions: got_power55
#20 ·
What a beautiful week it has been! Too bad it'll be raining all next week. Anyway, the rain and snow storms gave me enough time to think about places we could go. Here are few thoughts:
1) Long Island, NY - more specifically a drive up to the Hamptons. They have cool stores / restuarants etc we could hit on the way and certainly nice roads all the way up there

2) Bear Mountain NY - a friend was telling me about it then a week later I get this email from exotic something where all Ferrari's are meeting up and doing the Bear Mountain. I've never been there but my friends recommendation along with that email confirmed they have nice roads + scenic areas. I just have to figure out the map.

So, what do you guys think of a meet in NY sometime in April (1st week if we can) or u rather do the scenic Jersey drive I mentioned above in one of the posts? And oh, since it's moved to April, start listing ur names below:

1) d3athr0w
2)
3)

#21 ·
Hey guys!

Figure I'd offer some insight...

I'm on LI and am familiar with the Hamptons, as summer approaches it will become more packed and I know that you guys previously went on the wine tasting run, there are wineries here as well as some beaches.

Bear Mtn, there are a few good roads up there and when I used to own an STi that car club used to take runs up there frequently.

Another suggestion I can offer is if we're going up into northern NY there is a wonderful go karting place (www.gpny.com) which we can visit.

That being said, I'll keep visiting this thread and see if I can come up with any ideas. I should be getting my car back soon and have some mods in mind so hopefully I'll be able to attend this one, whether it be pre or post mod.

#22 ·
Suren, that's great to hear. I know how crowded hamptons gets in summer hence April would be a good time. As for bear mtn, have u heard of the 5 lakes? I hear those are some spots around there for a good drive. Since uve been to both, which one do you think it's most fun in terms of driving, scenery, things to do on the way? I was also thinking we could hit up a tech shop in LI to give tour of there facilities, show us some mods they working on and show us what we could do with our cars for less $$. Ttmotoraports is one shop I've heard of in LI. Please keep the ideas coming and let's finalize the date and location soon. After the last run we had, i've been getting te urge to go out on twisty roads again!

#23 ·
Yeah, lets collaborate and figure it all out. I do not remember Bear Mtn all that well but I can ask some of my friends from the old car club for routes, etc. I also know a bunch of nice one lane twisty back roads on the route to the Hamptons so we don't have to be on sunrise the whole way... I'm excited!

#24 ·
Suren: lets keep it to Hamptons since you are already familiar with it. We can do Bear Mtn some other time. As for Hamptons, did you want to go all the way up to Montauk or want to go to the other side Orient Point (never been there). If we doing Hamptons, did you want me to hit up few tech shops to see if they can show us the goodies or you guys want to pass that and do something else - i.e wine tasting / scenic stop overs / snack stop over etc. ?

#25 ·
Moe - I have been out a lot these last few days. (See pictures of last weekends adventure) What a great string of weather. I am going to be away most weekends in April. Anybody interested in a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway and into the Smoky Mountains April 8 - 10?

I like the idea of a ride out to the end of Long Island. Good to get out there before the summer season. I also have met the folks at TTMotorsports. Good people, clean shop and Bruce does great work.

Can I suggest first weekend of May??

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.