Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw a eBay seller selling the current version of the SLK navigation DVD (update 2012, V.11) for only $179, the condition stated "New other" but in the description only shows the part number and compatible vehicles, without any other detail about the current condition. Should I trust the seller or should I just spend $249 get it directly from NAVTEQ? Appreciate for eveybody's opinion!!:tu::tu::tu:

by the way, the seller got "two" DVDs available.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I would only use genuine Mercedes update DVDs, brought from and installed by your dealer. Ebay copies have been known to irreparably damage the COMAND head units. If the dealer installs it, then they are responsible if anything goes wrong.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Over the past 12 years, I've had 8 cars with navigation systems on them. I've received many offeers to update, but never purchased any. I assume most updates are for mapping, addresses, points of interest, etc but does not upgrade the system functionality in any way, and therefore wasn't worth buying.

There could also be software updates, but sometimes these are done at the dealer during services.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter you're totally correct, $250 for just the map update is a bit too much, especially for NTG1 it will only be the map update itself, not firmware. Since my map DVD is back in 2005.3 so I think it might worth a try (data back in 7 years ago). Hopefully can get it somewhere cheaper. Thanks for your advice!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've purchased "last years" DVD from eBay a couple of time from sellers with great feedback. IMHO, as long as you get the original DVD, and it's in good condition, you've done alright.

I received one that was an obvious copy with a paper label on it, and had to dispute via paypal, got my refund and the seller never bothered to send me an "RMA" number to send it back. Reminds me I need to toss it in the bin, been sitting around for a couple of years now! ;P

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've purchased "last years" DVD from eBay a couple of time from sellers with great feedback. IMHO, as long as you get the original DVD, and it's in good condition, you've done alright.

I received one that was an obvious copy with a paper label on it, and had to dispute via paypal, got my refund and the seller never bothered to send me an "RMA" number to send it back. Reminds me I need to toss it in the bin, been sitting around for a couple of years now! ;P

Thanks for your reply, so you mean on eBay the display picture showed a DVD with original box like my case, but ended up the DVD you received is just a copy!? Wow.. that's pretty bad.. So maybe I should just pay the full price and avoid risks for sure:Banane35:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.