Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with a Naviks unit to mainly add a backup camera but I splurged and added CarPlay and mirroring too. It was a pretty intrusive install, but not too bad. I need to adjust the camera, but so far so good! I also added a Qi magnetic charger so it was a productive install!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,709 Posts
A manual R172 SLK55 in the US of A??? That is truly a unicorn... never ever heard or seen a manual SLK55 AMG until this one. Where on Planet Earth did you find this car???

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,574 Posts
That is not a manual gearshift selector. Blow up the picture you can see it’s an automatic.

·
1,709 Posts
That is not a manual gearshift selector. Blow up the picture you can see it’s an automatic.
My bad... thks. My poor eyes are failing me already :frown:

·
1,709 Posts
I went with a Naviks unit to mainly add a backup camera but I splurged and added CarPlay and mirroring too. It was a pretty intrusive install, but not too bad. I need to adjust the camera, but so far so good! I also added a Qi magnetic charger so it was a productive install!
@Rooster OG, have a couple quick questions on your install... I have a Naviks front + rear camera unit installed in my car a couple years back, but getting more and more interested in adding Apple CarPlay and (a) wondering if my current unit can be upgraded to enable such function, (b) need to buy a new kit from Naviks, and/or (c) which Naviks kit you installed from the ones in the link on their website here

Appreciate your feedback.

ps: I called Naviks and was told if I disable my front camera, then I just need to buy this kit to enable CarPlay... sound about right to you?

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@b82012

The unit I bought from them isn’t listed on their site anymore. It had front/rear camera, CarPlay, android auto and mirroring. The guy that answered the phone for me there was really helpful, not super friendly, but knew his stuff. If that’s what he’s telling you, it makes sense because it looks like you’ll be adding a second box for CarPlay. It was pretty tight behind the screen, but I think you could fit them sandwiched together.

I dunno if CarPlay is worth that much, but I’m no CarPlay power user, so maybe it will be to you. It’s nice being able to run Waze though. If you do add it, you’ll need a splitter for your phone because it requires you to use an audio in jack for sound. That part wasn’t in their instructions.

·
1,709 Posts
Thanks

I am just about now exploring the possibility of adding CarPlay hoping its cleared some of its original teething pains... I am unfortunately afflicted with "gadget-disease" especially ones made by Apple as I am one of those Apple nerds/addicts... I have every product Apple makes/sells in my home and office.... I really should seek help, don't ya think?>:D:surprise:

The Naviks controller is like $325 so do-able. I reached out to a Geek Squad install shop today and the guy said he can do the install whenever I get the kit...

Curious, @Rooster OG, what about the Carplay isn't doing it for you? Is the mirroring function a necessary add-on? I have already enabled video-in-motion as well as Nav input while car is in motion through a software hack.... so that's done, I'd like to learn much more about CarPlay warts and all as I explore this option on my To-Do list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts