Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent the day yesterday updating the navigation software on my 2013 SLK250 from its original 7 year old data to the new 2020 version. I found a site online (https://mbnavupdate.com/) where I downloaded the data I needed, copied it to a USB drive, and then updated the car. It was a long but easy process, and for $129 it was a steal compared to what my dealer wanted. The entire process took about 3 hours in my case but it worked, and is easy to do.

If anyone is thinking about updating, save your money and avoid the dealer. These guys are a lot cheaper and it works.

This is not a paid advertisement or anything, I am just a normal guy that is really satisfied with their product and service.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,062 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has used mbmapupdate.com? My dealer charges about $350 to do an update and these guys will send the current 2020 for about $149. I haven't updated the maps in about 5 years just because of the cost...like I said, just wondering...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
Which navi do you have? Do you have the Comand Navi or one of the Audio 20 systems that were pre-wired, Becker Map Pilot, or Garmin Map Pilot? The Garmin you can update yourself using Mercedes Download Manager.

·
1,062 Posts
I have the COMAND system, which their website supports...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,224 Posts
I know it's nice to use the built-in system BUT as an alternative: for the same price, get a garmin (or similar) and a holder that fits in the cd slot. Free updates (usually a new map(s) is/are issued 4x/yr) for as long as the garmin works rather than paying every year for updates for as long as your nav works 😉 . IMO.

Reactions: Johnkat

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
I like the MB Garmin Map Pilot that is with the Audio 20. You can update the firmware and maps yourself free. Just download the Mercedes Download Manager and then put the SD in the computer and run the program. The firmware will update in minutes but maps can take hours. I run the map update just before going to bed and wake up with the maps updated. I do not see many map updates that do anything unless you do a lot of long-distance driving, as few new roads are built every year.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was for the COMAND system too. I can already see a huge difference as I work a fairly new area so a lot of the roads I drive were not even on the old maps.
I never tried any of the Garmin products and in the past I always just used my phone..

·
1,062 Posts
Mine was for the COMAND system too. I can already see a huge difference as I work a fairly new area so a lot of the roads I drive were not even on the old maps.
I never tried any of the Garmin products and in the past I always just used my phone..
I plan on doing the same...my other car (2018 C300) uses my phone and Android Auto play...and it's great but the 2012 SLK doesn't have that option and I really hate the look of aftermarket add on stuff...just my personal opinion, a lot of folks like it very much...just not me

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,546 Posts
So I spent the day yesterday updating the navigation software on my 2013 SLK250 from its original 7 year old data to the new 2020 version. I found a site online (https://mbnavupdate.com/) where I downloaded the data I needed, copied it to a USB drive, and then updated the car. It was a long but easy process, and for $129 it was a steal compared to what my dealer wanted. The entire process took about 3 hours in my case but it worked, and is easy to do.

If anyone is thinking about updating, save your money and avoid the dealer. These guys are a lot cheaper and it works.

This is not a paid advertisement or anything, I am just a normal guy that is really satisfied with their product and service.
Thanks for this Public Service heads-up. Really helpful.

Last month at my local dealership, they did a bait and switch, first the Parts guy gave me a quote for $109 just for the DVD key... Then asked me to talk to the SA for the actual installation. The SA, after hemming and hawing, finally told me they will charge me a total of $200 + tax, but I can only upgrade to MY2017 Nav bcos of my NTG4.5 ended in 2017 when MB switched to SLC with a newer COMAND version. Looks like that is all BS...

I was WTF... you wasted my time between Parts and Service only to tell me I can only upgrade to 2017.

If what you post here is accurate, I will spend the ~$150 to get it to MY2020, cos that's all I asked the dealership to do but they jerked around... with crap excuses.

Reactions: Johnkat

·
1,546 Posts
Actually it is $129.99 and as I post this, the map update is ongoing in the car (in the garage).. gonna take about 1h to update... MY2020 map. Pretty straightforward so far too... excellent customer support and guide from the seller. da best!

·
Registered 2016 SLK300
47 Posts
Actually it is $129.99 and as I post this, the map update is ongoing in the car (in the garage).. gonna take about 1h to update... MY2020 map. Pretty straightforward so far too... excellent customer support and guide from the seller. da best!
How did it go?

·
1,546 Posts
Went perfectly well. I am now at v20 on my NTG4.5 GenII COMAND

Nav_update_2020.jpg

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
3 Posts

Went perfectly well. I am now at v20 on my NTG4.5 GenII COMAND

View attachment 580655

I guess I was lucky on the price I paid for my update (NTG4.5 V18.0) back in Sept 2018; Mercedes dealer charged $99 for update and $62.50 for labor (TOTAL $161.50); Completed in about an hour as I recall.

·
1,368 Posts

·
1,368 Posts
Did the the update come with a License Key? When I had mine done several years ago a License Key from Mercedes-Benz was required.
Never mind, I just checked the website and a License Key comes with the update!
Quite the bargain over the last time when I had to use a dealer to do the update. :)

·
1,368 Posts
Do you need to have the engine running during the entire update process?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,316 Posts
Probably because your 1st post should have been your intro! :D

Post an introduction.
Click:

·
1,546 Posts
The actual update of the map in the car takes about 1h. The other ~2h is the time to download the files (~18 Gb), extract/unzip and then transfer to a USB stick root directory.
Do you need to have the engine running during the entire update process?
Yes you do.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts