Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with Navigation system for SLK 350 2006. My car does not have one, I have been inquiring and unfortunately I have not come across a solution. In fact I went to Mercedes Benz Silver star in Montreal and unfortunately, those well dressed MB sales personnel have no clue, whether it is DVD or a Module that needs to be installed.

A person checked my Car at Silver star, and offered me DVD! As I pressed further to make sure, since if I returned the DVD opened and not compatible it will be refused, than a story changed and I got upset only to get the hell outta there.

A question is, I have heard of after market by Eclipse, any one knows where can I get this for my Car? Please help any information will be appreciated.

Thank you Kindly.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Post up your VIN, and I can pull the data card and give you a better idea of what would be involved adding Navigation to your car...

FYI, on the 2006, the navigation module / DVD Drive is in the trunk, right above the "hump"...

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Thank you. Here is my VIN: WDBWK56F46F116867.. I will also look inside the trunk..

Here's your datacard. Bad news is that you need more than a DVD, good news is that it's pretty easy to retrofit a navi drive to your car if you want to stay stock.

There are a number of people who have done this, and some good details on the forum about parts, etc. Figure somewhere on the order of $500us for the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John very kind of you, really appreaciated. I looked in the trunk NO DVD.. I will venture local Audio Shops for an after market and see if I can have this thing up and running at a low cost.

If I want to go with an After market, which one do you suggest is the best for bucks? Is there an Alpine unit that would fit my Car perfectly without doing any major damage, or heavy re-wiring?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My SLK does not have a built in GPS but my 2010 E-Class car does. It is the worst by far of the three built in GPS systems that I have had and the best one was terrible! I use a portable Garmin in both the E350 and in the SLK. My advice is to buy a good portable unit. It will cost you considerably less and provide much better service.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Can't really comment on the aftermarket, integrated units - no personal experience there. I have to admit I have a TomTom in my C Series, and find it a heck of a lot easier to use than the COMAND Navigation system.

The above said, I *hate* having things stuck to the window on the SLK, so I'll live with the MB Navigation. Still debating on upgrading the '55 stateside to a COMAND 2.5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.