Mercedes SLK World banner

What do you use for navigation?

• Factory installed GPS

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • After market installed GPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dashboard mounted GPS (Garmin, etc)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • iPhone or other handheld GPS app (TomTom, Magellan,etc)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • MapQuest or similar

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Old fashioned fold up map

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Know my way

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Like to get lost in my SLK

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

As techie gadgets multiply, am wondering how many
SLK drivers rely on GPS, MapQuest, old fashioned maps,
etc.R)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I use the COMAND Nav feature when going to not-so-familiar places. iPhone is used as a portable back-up. The old-fashioned map (Thomas Guide) is still present in the mate's minivan, where Garmin is used as the navigation device-of-choice.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I have a Tom Tom One XL that I use when I'm going to places I really don't know. Especially in cities where I have no clue about the traffic system. Also came in very handy when I was in Germany. That said, I also like to use a good ole map..

Cheers!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I prefer a factory NAV system for the looks and integration. After several years, the system is outdated. The same is true for the best aftermarket system, just easier and cheaper to replace.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
We mostly use the COMAND nav around NYC. When going long distances, we use a Garmin 765t with traffic and use the iPhone google maps as a backup for traffic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sad to say that both my SLK55 and my Jeep Grand Cherokee have factory Nav but I use my portable Garmin for actual navigation tasks in both cars :(

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hate having a loaner with no NAV, as NAV is like spell check, you do not realize how much you rely on it until you do not have it. I go to new clients and new locations frequently, so it is a boon.

On another note, just as usual, iPhone is still playing catch up with Windows Mobile in features, and NAV is no different. I find the iPhone I bought for my mom usefull only for checking areas, but my Sprint NAV on my HTC Touch Pro works well when I am out of town. Only problem, in DC, it was a bit iffy when walking, apparently, it expects you to move a certain speed to give you the next direction, so anticipating what side of the street to be on or which way to turn out of the subway sometimes took a bit.

The Hertz AlwaysLost (NeverLost) was almost useless in my Corvette ZHZ roadster as I could never hear it and had to look way down to see the next direction change. They also stop working when you get in the mountains and the city. Never rely on AlwaysLost in Chicago's loop.

Now, who do I see to get a voice with a cheesy German accent for my SLK?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It seems that most owners are unimpressed by built-in nav systems, and that's even before you take into account the difficulty and expense of merely updating their maps, let alone the difficulty (or impossibilty) of ugrading the whole software package regularly to keep up with the swiftly improving capabilites of standalone, aftermarket units.

And when you look at the ludicrous price (£1,000+ !) of nav units if you add one as an option to the spec of a new car, compared with £100~£200 for an aftermarket one which you can replace, move (together with all your settings and favourites) from car-to-car and even take indoors to programme at your leisure, then there's no contest.

Furthermore, you can chose where you mount a free-standing unit, and can usually manage to place it where it is much easier to see without having to divert your gaze well away from the road.

Given the option, I would not waste the money which a built-in one costs in a new car.

OK it might look more cool and be impossible to steal - but that's about it. In actual use, as a means of finding your way and getting to your destination, built-in seems to lose out to free-standing units every time.

But maybe it's just me that feels that way?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My new (2006) SLK doesn't have it and I'm certainly on a mission to get it installed--NTG 2.5 probably.

I seldom use the navigation feature but dearly love the simple map feature and can't live without it anymore.

I've no complaints with the Mercedes/Navteq systems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.