Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I embark on an epic road trip. I will be driving the entire length of the "Trace" on my way to San Antonio, TX. I should start in a couple of hours 8:30 or so Central time and will end my day somewhere in Louisiana.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
gotta hit the river walk when you make it here...weather's been nice lately, though primarily best for top down driving in the AM as its been getting close to 90 in the PM..and you're coming to Mecca if you like mexican food!!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Awesome - Pointers and pics are requested. I've heard that it's a beautiful drive, but you had better mind the 45 mph speed limit.

If you like it I may put it on my ToDo list, as we're pretty close.

Enjoy,
Gene

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking for somewhere to watch the Monaco race Sunday morning. Do you know of a group that gets together to watch the F1 events? We have one here in Nashville that I attend.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I completed the Trace last night around 8 and I'd have to say I was a bit disappointed. I don't really know what I was expecting. It wasn't really twisty and there wasn't much to look at until you were well into Mississippi near Jackson. I ran a constant 70-75 (speed limit is 50) and would've felt comfortable at 120. I like traveling across the country on the slower routes because I like driving through the small towns. This is a National Park and not a State Route. I am glad I completed all 446 miles of it, but I won't be doing it again.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,230 Posts
Glad u made it safely. I hope u have a better time on your way home! R u taking another route?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the interstate. I plan to stop in Austin and try to find the GP circuit being built. :D

It wasn't a bad run after all I had the top down all day. It just wasn't what I was hoping for. I hope to do a route 66/HWY 1 run next summer.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,230 Posts
Route 66 sounds fun! I'm jealous!

I'm planning a trip from FL to PA in a couple of weeks going 95 to DC then back roads and tunnels to Pgh.. Really looking forward to the mountain driving...I miss that!

No kids, no better half, just all by myself, yea!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts