Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents - not sure who's interested, but my ever so British wife has decided that she wants to see the Blue Angels this year.

Last date of the year is 15 November at NAS Pensacola, Florida - we are planning on a leisurely drive from Baton Rouge on Friday the 14th, and then spend the next day enjoying the show, probably wandering back on Sunday the 16th.

Not the best driving in the world, but damned good food along the way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You will not regret it. Being an Air Force Alumni, its a tossup on the Blue Angels versus the Thunderbirds. I'm leaning towards the Blue Angels since they fly the larger airframe. But I recall as a kid when the Thunderbirds flew the "Phantom" that was one helluva show for the spectators... You wont be disappointed! :usa:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Ex Navy brat here, so I love the "sound of freedom" from the Blues, and the '18 is just awesome to begin with - stripped down for show, it's even better. I think she's tired of my Blue Angels videos, and my less than impressed comments on the various Brit display teams!

Spent a lot of time in Lafayette, LA - the T-Birds were usually booked for a show a year. Same in Colorado, we would drive down to the Academy when they were in town. Always a fun show, and as much as I enjoy watching the "electric jet" fly, it's just not as raw as the '18's :)

The F4's were before my time (or at least I think they were), so the only time I've seen them fly has been "other" air forces outside the US that still had 'em in the air.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
:) Ex Navy brat here, so I love the "sound of freedom" from the Blues, and the '18 is just awesome to begin with - stripped down for show, it's even better. I think she's tired of my Blue Angels videos, and my less than impressed comments on the various Brit display teams!

Spent a lot of time in Lafayette, LA - the T-Birds were usually booked for a show a year. Same in Colorado, we would drive down to the Academy when they were in town. Always a fun show, and as much as I enjoy watching the "electric jet" fly, it's just not as raw as the '18's :)

The F4's were before my time (or at least I think they were), so the only time I've seen them fly has been "other" air forces outside the US that still had 'em in the air.
For a modern line fighter, quiet is becoming the standard. But for an airshow, louder is always best. The F-4 used to make your back teeth get loose. Both the Blues and the Birds used to use them, and then they both went cheap in the 80s with the A-4 and the T-38. Now they both use real jets again, and both shows are magnificent.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts