Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK32 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own an 2004 SLK32 AMG and I have a charging issue, my battery light came on !! I check voltage at battery while the engine was running
and voltage is same as when car not running, so no charge !! Next I'm gonna check voltage at B+. I know the rotor should be energize with
12V through the brushes, that's the other thing I'm gonna check directly at plug, but when I check the wiring diagram in WIS, I see there
is a BUWH wire that goes from the alternator to the N3-10 module.

My question is:
What is it for ? Is this alternator controlled by the computer ? What would you do next ?

P.S I check the fuses in the X4/10 fuse box next to the battery but on 6 cyl. car there is no 125 amp fuse for the alternator , so that was not my problem !!!

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,594 Posts
My V6 (now V8 :D ) doesn't have a 125 Amp Pre Fuse labelled Alternator in the Pre Fuse Box, that is only a USA territorial thing ;)

The Space is there, labelled USA and Alternator, but it's not actually Wired, the main Charge Lead from Alternator goes straight to the Starter Main Power Terminal ;)

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without knowing more inf if your battery is not charging and battery light on dashboard first port of call is the Alternator / Regulator as in replacement .
I know it's probably the rotor, stator, rectifier or regulator, i'm gonna test those once removed. I just want to make more specific test on the car before removing the alternator. That's why I asked what the BLUE/WHITE wire that goes from the alternator to the N3-10 module does?

Do the rotor receive a solid 12V to energize it or it's a PWM signal from the module ?

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My V6 (now V8 :D ) doesn't have a 125 Amp Pre Fuse labelled Alternator in the Pre Fuse Box, that is only a USA territorial thing ;)

The Space is there, labelled USA and Alternator, but it's not actually Wired, the main Charge Lead from Alternator goes straight to the Starter Main Power Terminal ;)
Ok thanks but the BLUE/WHITE wire in the WIS diagram from the alternator to the N3-10 does what ?

·
2,594 Posts
the BLUE/WHITE wire in the WIS diagram from the alternator to the N3-10 does what ?
Battery Warning / Charge Light on Dash

Why not save yourself a whole load of grief and just fit a Rebuilt Alternator from a factors ;)

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From P09.50-2027-06: "The compressor is also not actuated when the battery voltage falls below 9 V".
Aaaah now we are going somewhere !!!! This BUWH wire as stated in the diagram (PE15.00-P-2000-99RA) only apply for SLK32 AMG (U425 box in diagram) !!

Thanks you answered my question, so if there is a problem with the charging system, the computer does not
engage the clutch on the compressor !!

·
2,594 Posts
This BUWH wire as stated in the diagram (PE15.00-P-2000-99RA) only apply for SLK32 AMG (U425 box in diagram) !!
Well, all I can say is that Wire was there on my N/A V6 Engine and also on the W220 V8 Engine which is now fitted in my SLK ;)

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, all I can say is that Wire was there on my N/A V6 Engine and also on the W220 V8 Engine which is now fitted in my SLK ;)
Strange, but it makes sense that the computer would cut off the comporessor ! Just curious, which V8 did you
fitted in your SLK: 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.4L or the beast 5.4L S/C ??

·
Registered 1996 SLK230K
65 Posts
@Dave2302 is swapping a 5.0L out of an S-Class I believe.
For a full in-depth and truly astonishing read of the conversion from start to finish, (not finished yet, but getting damned close), read his build journal.

P.S. Have lots of coffee\tea on hand as it is quite lengthy, but well worth the read to see what a legend Dave is.

Cheers
Jay

·
2,594 Posts
5.0 M113 with a few tweaks so far and some more to come later once it's finished and been on a Dyno ;)

We can't get 5.4 Motors in UK very easily, and 5.4K's are rocking horse :poop: that command mega bucks, but one day ? , one day ?

Just for you guys, @Ghis4U @Andjeti .................

·
2,594 Posts
For a full in-depth and truly astonishing read of the conversion from start to finish, (not finished yet, but getting damned close), read his build journal.
P.S. Have lots of coffee\tea on hand as it is quite lengthy, but well worth the read to see what a legend Dave is.

Cheers
Jay
Why thank you, kind sir :D :D :D

·
2,594 Posts
you must have work with car for a long time !!
Thank You for your interest :)

TBH I work on MB (and other Cars) professionally ;)

I bought the Car as a stock 320 V6 December 2018, did all necessary Work to get it mechanically up to scratch, plus added the Android H/U etc.
After that for all of 2019 I just drove it and enjoyed it :)

I also researched all kinds of stuff, and bought all the parts plus a load of EBay ECU's to R & D fiddle with ................

I actually only started the Conversion March this year (2020) and it only took a matter of weeks before it was driving, and I'm just down to the "Snagging List" now ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts