Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am doing the UCA and LCA job. I removed the battery and battery tray an noticed a severed line (appears to be a gray plastic vacuum hose that attaches to the intake manifold from a stuffing box on the firewall). This was damage done last year when a mouse/rat lived in the engine bay for a bit while the car was parked and turned stuff into nest material. But the car has been running fine. The only thing I can think it is is a vent line from the fuel tank. Any thoughts on what this might be? Pics below.

This is the stuffing box with gray line protruding. The red arrow points to where the other end is.

This is the other (chewed) end under the ECU box.

This is where it connects to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some internet sleuthing...I believe this is a line for controlling ventilation settings but have never noticed an issue, honestly. I am going to connect it back up with a section of vacuum hose and see what happens.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,065 Posts
I'll guess a vacuum line to operate the flaps in the heater/air conditioner unit.

The ECU can probably compensate for this leakage. I bet if you watch your LTFT and STFT before and after you plug the leak, you'll see them change.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another possibility is the vacuum line that goes between a headlamp regulating control and he headlamps vacuum bell (adjustment servo).

Most SLK:s with standard halogens doesn't need this device as we seldom load the boot with heavy stuff - therefore, it might go unnoticed for years if it's broken.

So, is there a adjustment wheel for the headlights near headlamp switch, go from there.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
If that's a light lilac coloured hose ( faded ) then that's the headlight level adjuster vacuum hose. Under the headlights there is a little diaphragm controlled leveller. It's automagic so you may not have a control knob for it. If your car really does not have a levelling system you will find the hoses blanked off at the headlight. ( No point in having different engine hoses for car with/without so as with a lot of wiring harnesses there's 'optional' stuff that just ends nowhere )

Reactions: AndyW

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that's a light lilac coloured hose ( faded ) then that's the headlight level adjuster vacuum hose. Under the headlights there is a little diaphragm controlled leveller. It's automagic so you may not have a control knob for it. If your car really does not have a levelling system you will find the hoses blanked off at the headlight. ( No point in having different engine hoses for car with/without so as with a lot of wiring harnesses there's 'optional' stuff that just ends nowhere )
Well, the only difference after hooking it up was the intake manifold had a knocking sound (PCV valve?) for a bit when I started the car but it appeared to quiet down once the car was warm. Maybe I haven't had a crankcase vacuum for a while? Honestly it almost sounded like a stuck valve lifter at first. I need to research where the PCV valve is on this car...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More data: The sound is cyclic as the engine idles but am almost 100% certain coming from inside the intake manifold. And i cannot find where there is a PCV valve on this car...230, yes, 320, no.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.