Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello from Newcastle upon Tyne

This is my first post, so just finding my way around the system. I've acquired an SLK 230 R170 1998. Well not so much acquired more rescued! The car was covered in green mold, it had not been used for almost a year, in fact its last job was to take the 2012 Christmas tree to the tip, I had to shovel out the pine needles.
The car wouldn't run, but eventually I got it going in a fashion and drove it back from London to Newcastle. (7.5 hour trip, it was not going willingly). But it's home now and now the TLC begins.
I'm trying to find my way around the car, but to be honest this is the first time I've worked on a modern car with all these plastic bits and diagnostic electronics. I'm more used to carburetors and a distributor ( anybody else remember these). But I can see this model is going to be my future classic! I've started on the simple jobs and have come upon my first challenge. I would be obliged if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I started by replacing the lamps that illuminate the heater controls.
Whilst I was doing this, I noticed a lamp and lamp holder lying loose behind the back of the radio.
I presume it illuminates the ashtray/coin holder, but I cannot find the hole for it to go back in to.
It looks like I may have to take the ashtray out to refit it, but I cannot remove the cover that goes over the gear shift.
I understand there are two screws under this cover that will allow the ashtray/coin-holder/storage pocket to be removed all in one piece
I have searched the forum and it looks like it is held in with a couple of large plastic clips.
I cannot see or get at these
Mine won't budge and I am frightened to break it using brute force (and ignorance!)

Can anybody help me out please?

Many thanks

Robert

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Robert - you aren't being ignored I am sure someone will be along shortly to help. I know SLKChick has retrimmed that part of her car so she will doubtless chip (once the USA wake up!). In the meantime Welcome. I wish I could help but mine's a 171.

Just thought about it - search for SLKChick's thread on retrimming there may be something in there that helps

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
That piece just clips in .
You may find it's tight due to years of gunk or possibly that the clips broke for a previous owner and they glued it down ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all thank you all very much for your replies.
Special thanks go to leapyfish for a mine of information.
I will spend many hours trawling through these during the cold winter nights!
Anyway, problem solved thanks to leapyfish.
Mystery lamp is indeed for the ashtray/coin holder which came out without too much bother
I will put together some photos in the next few days to show how it all went.
Happy new year to you all
Robert

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Glad your first project went well :)

Welcome from Perth Australia