Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 300sdl with a decent running om603 which from my research has the same bellhousing as the original m111 and 5 speed manual in my 1999 slk230.

Can anyone see where this is going?

I bought the slk with a blown head gasket and some serious interior issues but at the purchase price I'd be hard pressed to find a w126 parts car.

My initial measurements put the water pump pulley a half inch or so from the original r170 radiator.
If this proves wrong, I guess I could attempt to move the transmission rearward. For now, the linkages and other trans related components are staying put.

I would love some input from knowledgeable sources about what I may run into, so feel free to drop your two cents.

I've pulled the gas engine already, the flywheel and crankshaft position sensor seem similar so I'm hoping the gas crank sensor will bolt in and function properly. Maybe I'll have a tachometer, maybe not. This will be the theme of this swap; observe, attempt, hope, test. I'm hoping to keep as much of the 1999 wiring, etc. alone.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,906 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the pressure plate off of the flywheel today, I think I'm going to source a replacement. I've seen posts about replacing with a custom made single mass produced for a sprinter, but since we didn't get those with a 5 speed here, I don't think it'll be cost effective. I pulled the motor mounts considering what else I may need down the road.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My major goal is fuel economy. The engine achieves roughly 30 mpg in the w126 chassis. With less weight and better aero I'm hoping for mid thirties.

I'm also planning an eventual om606 which is very easy to upgrade over 300 hp.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Wow I cant believe I'm just now seeing this!

You are fortunate to start with a pre-facelift 230. the engine and transmission sits ~2" farther back than the post-facelift versions. You can also mount the radiator in the 2 forward "mount pad" holes which can give you a little extra clearance for the engine. The transmission will want the crankshaft position and throttle position to function. If you can retain the 60-2 tooth flywheel, that would be ideal. If not, you can you make a 722.4 work because it isn't electronic. Another option is a standalone transmission controller. Arduino comes to mind, youtube it.

with the throttle, you could find a way to use the electronic throttle, it will still work even on another engine. You can also use different throttles from different models and just connect the same color wires (pre 2001 stuff only). If you need to move the engine, the chrysler crossfire rear driveshaft is ~1.0" shorter than the SLK and you can eat a little slack in the center spline joint.

I'll add more when I think of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Turdo, I am keeping with the 5 speed manual that was already in the slk when I bought it. I am hoping to leave it in it's current position to save on fabrication of mounts, linkages, etc.

The throttle on my car has a cable leading into the engine bay, so that should be quite simple to adapt to my manual pump om603.

I pulled the flywheel and crankshaft position sensor from the m111 today, I haven't had a chance to inspection the sensor's exact position on the diesel engine yet, but I'm hoping the factory tachometer will read from aforementioned sensor and not the coil pack trigger like most other manufacturers.

My wiring harness is uncut so far with the exception of the oxygen sensor, which in the heat of engine removal I said "I won't need that."

I'm thinking it should make it much easier for future engine swaps. I'm thinking om606 would be nice but eventually a nice gas v8 would be interesting.

The tidbit about the radiator position will be very helpful as I was imagining start from scratch radiator support with maybe hoodpins.

·
1,433 Posts
Thank you Turdo, I am keeping with the 5 speed manual that was already in the slk when I bought it. I am hoping to leave it in it's current position to save on fabrication of mounts, linkages, etc.

The throttle on my car has a cable leading into the engine bay, so that should be quite simple to adapt to my manual pump om603.

I pulled the flywheel and crankshaft position sensor from the m111 today, I haven't had a chance to inspection the sensor's exact position on the diesel engine yet, but I'm hoping the factory tachometer will read from aforementioned sensor and not the coil pack trigger like most other manufacturers.

My wiring harness is uncut so far with the exception of the oxygen sensor, which in the heat of engine removal I said "I won't need that."

I'm thinking it should make it much easier for future engine swaps. I'm thinking om606 would be nice but eventually a nice gas v8 would be interesting.

The tidbit about the radiator position will be very helpful as I was imagining start from scratch radiator support with maybe hoodpins.
Oh your using a manual transmission... easy! You will want the M111 flywheel for tachometer, but other than that, the ABS and ECU shouldnt need anything else from the engine. you could probably just splice wires to the temp sensor on the OM603, my guess is the coding is similar and your temp gauge will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did also save a sensor from the front on the engine in the thermostat housing maybe? I'm not sure if it's temp sender or the fan switch.

I haven't gotten rid of the old engine yet, so I'll look it over a little better to see if I need to save anything else.

The flywheel is on my workbench, I asked a couple people about having it resurfaced; no-one seems to know what dual-mass means.

·
1,433 Posts
I did also save a sensor from the front on the engine in the thermostat housing maybe? I'm not sure if it's temp sender or the fan switch.

I haven't gotten rid of the old engine yet, so I'll look it over a little better to see if I need to save anything else.

The flywheel is on my workbench, I asked a couple people about having it resurfaced; no-one seems to know what dual-mass means.
Dual mass flywheels cant be resurfaced. If you ever find a way to use a single mass flywheel I'd love to know how!

The temp sensor on the front of the M111 is just that. Then the ECU decides when to use the fan based on temp. If it's anything like my engine swap, the fans will be on all the time because the ECU will detect faults. you may need to run a relay and switch the fan on and off yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently they made sprinters with either the om603 or om606 and a manual with a problematic dual mass. They sell smf conversion kits but that's in europe, not America. Not very cost effective for shipping.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,000 Posts
Hi,

I know your Diesel is a mechanical pump Engine, so I presume it has no ECU ??????

That being the case have you considered the ramifications like what will happen with the DAS 2 Drive Authorisation, i.e Immobiliser, and the very likely scenario of no output from Ignition On +ve and Cranking Signal via the Existing Key ?

Then there is the likely occurrence of the R170's current ECU going into a huge Limp Mode because it isn't seeing any Engine Components it recognises and so the Car will throw ABS ESP BAS and maybe SRS errors making it un MOT testable in UK ??

I'd want to do a lot more digging before getting the tools out, (and I am doing so), in a thread by me on fitting an M113 V8 into a V6 SLK320 ;)

Not trying to P on your bonfire, just pointing out some potentially mind blowing possibilities ;)

There will not be any SDS Coding Options for a Diesel Engine in any of the cars other Systems Modules ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
1,433 Posts
I would keep the ECU in it to control the transmission. Your ABS/ASR should be fine as long as it thinks things are OK. my ECU is only connected to temp and throttle. (temp for the gauge and throttle for cruise control, otherwise I would not use it)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,000 Posts
Hi,
@Turdo2

So what you are effectively saying is that ME2.0 does not send errors to BAS ESP ABS Trans etc via CAN Bus ??
That is very very handy for your own Car :)

I've never had an ME2.0 on SDS so I have no idea, just curious :wink:

Cheers Dave

·
1,433 Posts
Hi,

@Turdo2

So what you are effectively saying is that ME2.0 does not send errors to BAS ESP ABS Trans etc via CAN Bus ??
That is very very handy for your own Car :)

I've never had an ME2.0 on SDS so I have no idea, just curious :wink:

Cheers Dave
It does communicate with the ECU. but that's only because the ECU wants to know things like wheel speed. if it was the other way around, you would have a lot of errors.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,000 Posts
Hi,

But the Trans ECU needs to know Engine Data, and on some 722.6 Cars it also needs ABS Wheel Speeds in order to work correctly and vice versa, so therefore I go back to my ME 2.8 knowledge and say that to get it all in harmony and working how it came from the Factory then the CAN bus has to be fully functional, the Version Coding has to be spot on and then there should be no fault codes and then all will work in harmony ;) ........................

Or does an ME 2.0 Car use a different 722.6 TCU as well as the ME being different ?

Cheers Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts