Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if it's ok with you guys im going to keep a thread as a project timeline for my slk ill try and keep any questions i have in here too.

this is the car,

since getting it ive just been driving and enjoying it but with the onset of the bank holiday i decided it was time to start sorting out the cars niggles,

firstly when selecting drive from a standstill the car would jerk and lurch forward which clearly isn't right, after some searching it seems worn engine mounts are the issue so i ordered 2 new engine mounts and a gearbox mount, ive also found the handling feeling less than sharp so i ordered a steering damper too. upon removal this is the state of the engine mounts compared to the new one in the middle

as you can see the used mounts are well compressed and the drivers side was leaking what oil was left in it. The mounts were a straight forward fit along with the steering damper, i haven't test driven the car yet but just moving it on the drive the lurching upon selecting drive has now gone.

whilst under there i found both track rod end dust boots are split and leaking grease so no doubt the joints are either knackered or soon will be, ive decided to just order a whole new track rod and drag link assembly from gsf along with a steering idler bush kit, hopefully those items along with having the wheel alignment set should sharpen the steering up.

another issue that has cropped up is my passenger window stopped working, i opened the door and gave the glass a bit of a push and pull and now the window works again but there is a nasty clunk noise when it goes down so the next job will be having the door card off to see what's happening, this will also give me an opportunity to look at replacing the speakers and running new cable.

I have also fitted a cheap verdeckmodul roof module, it doesn't operate the roof from the remote but it does have the one touch button function and allows me to operate the roof whilst moving which i think are the more important parts, i may one day go to an all singing all dancing module.

and that's the start of my slk ownership
chris.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply.

I sorted the window turns out at some point the glass stop had fell off and someone had bodged a repair with 2 pieces of metal and a bolt to clamp the glass a new window fitted and it's fine now.

I've fitted a decent set of component speakers and replaced the stock stereo with an alpine unit.

I managed to buy a set of alloys with near new winter tyres on ebay for £130 typically it hasn't got cold enough to use them since.

I also fitted a black set of projector headlights and im currently in the middle of fitting a bilstein b12 suspension kit although ive been held up as the drag link gsf supplied was for a lhd car ive now sourced the correct one from eurocarparts so at the weekend i may get the job finished and see if the new suspension gives me some handling im happy with if not ill have to push on with working out a way to fit a rear anti roll bar.

Ive also a set of facelift sideskirts and an amg backbox in the garage for when i get time along with a steering wheel boss ive been modifying so i can fit a different steering wheel so things are changing

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.