Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My PSE is from a 210 E class and works fine

Hello, I buy a slk from 1997 a few weeks ago, and I´m cheking the PSE pump because my dome light doesn´t work, and i discover a pump from a class E with the reference 2108000648.

This pump has 4 air out, 3 where closed and one is conected to a yellow line.
The car has 5 electric connectors but only 4 are connected to the pump.
the locking system works fine. My alarm is an aftermarket system.

I call my MB dealer to buy the correct one and they said that the one I have is the right one, is that reference they use to substitute the follow references:

Does any one know anything about this? Is it right?

Thanks Pedro

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
W210 PSE in R170 SLK

Interesting that you have this part, and that it is listed as applicable (per the MB dealer) for your R170.
I have a 210-800-10-48 almost ready to check in the place of my missing 170-800-02-48 (or similar), so will be able to give you a more conclusive feedback.
The person who gave it to me says it works on a 210, but didn't on his 170, so I'm doing basic checks before I try it on my SLK.

Of course, the inoperative dome light may be a symptom of the mis-match, but many would be happy with that minor problem, and have worse issues with the correct PSE.

There will be many people interested in this option!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i´m checking the dome light and it works wheel. The switch on the driver door was broken. Everything works fine. i will take a picture of it and post here.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
My 210 PSE doesn't work in my R170

well, i´m checking the dome light and it works wheel. The switch on the driver door was broken. Everything works fine. i will take a picture of it and post here.
I'm really pleased for you that you have manged to get your 210 PSE working, complete with dome light.:tu:

I'm not happy that I tried a 210 PSE in my R170 this evening, and got nothing!:td:
When you look at your PSE, is it wired directly into the normal wiring harness, or is there some adapter cable between the car and the PSE?
Any info you can determine would be most appreciated, before I have to tear this 210 PSE to bits to confirm that it does actually work as described.

Thanks, Anon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Still interested.

Ping.
Still really interested in any information you have about adapted harnesses, etc.!

Over this w/e, I'm going to rip out the covers on the RH wing to check all the wiring above the PSE, to confirm that it is all as it should be.
Fortunately, I've changes the gas struts for the boot, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a headache to remove.
(And, yes, I realise that the slot to remove the cover is at the reverse opening end, so having pulled all of the poppers and got it ready, I am expecting to have to shut the boot and start opening the roof.)
More entertainment tomorrow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late answer, but time flies. like i promise, i take some picture of mine and here they are.
I just can´t take pictures of it with the wires connect because the wires are short and i have a LPG tank in the place of tire and gives me a short space to handle with it.
I take 2 pictures of the pump, one of the connectors, and one of the LPG tank and the PSE pump on my car.
I follow the wires with my hand and i didn´t find any connections. I hope son take pictures of each connector with the wires.
I also will count the wires and you can see if is the same number or there are more.
Did you know were are the central unit that control the pump, i could take pictures and so we can see what every wire is.
i hope give some news soon

Attachments

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
My 210-800-10-48 looks the same as this one, and so does not look like yours.
I do wonder if yours has been repaired, and so now has the baseplate from a 210 unit, but the heart of a 170 unit.
On both mine and the donor for the pictures, there is a clear label on the side that gives the part number 2108001848 (sorry, his is a -18 build standard, mine is a -10)
Unfortunately, I have never had a PSE unit in my SLK, so I cannot confirm if yours resembles the standard one; however, I seem to remember from other threads that the "normal" R170 PSE have the same connectors as my 210 model, and just miss on the fourth pneumatic connector towards the bottom of the 210 picture.
My 210 PSE doesn't have an marking on the base plate similar to yours.

I tried to get into the area above my PSE to see where the wires go to; I suspect I have an alternative alarm (but driven off the factory fob). Hmm, that sounds increasingly unlikely, as I talk about it, so I may strip it out fully in order to investigate more fully.

Thank you for taking the effort to strip out your working PSE to help me.

Edit: Actually looking at the wiring connector picture (and zooming in on it) it is apparent that you have the two 18-pin signal connectors (black = ATA, white = PSE), the green 2x2 ATA power lead, and the 4x1 PSE power lead looped over your thumb. This is the normal compliment of connectors for the PSE, so probably indicates your PSE is standard (at least at an electrical level).
(I had been misled by what appears to be a 2-way screw terminal block.)
However, the loose wiring in that area, and the terminal block, does raise the question if anything has been modified.

I do note that your signal connectors are showing signs of copper verdigris, and so you should grab the chance to clean this carefully, and use copious quantities of contact cleaner and switch lube to protect the two halves of the connectors.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
I'm going to have a look at my system tomorrow; I have a standard key, which works in the ignition (and I understand needs to be an active key, read by proximity power, not using the battery) and it arms an alarm in the car. However, I do not have a PSE in my car (well, not in the traditional place, and not connected to the two PSE connectors or the three pneumatic connectors), but the two ATA connectors are missing. (PSE = Pneumatic Services Environment, ATA = Anti Theft Alarm, PSE connectors are the four in-line power and the white connector, and ATA are the square four power, and the black connector)
So I am wondering if my PSE has been butchered, and hidden up inside the right wing, and is still providing the ATA functions, but cannot (for some reason, probably corrosion) provide the Pneumatic functions.

More to follow.
Anon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Research results

Compared the wiring diagrams for the W210 and R170 PSEs, and you come to realise the pin-outs between the PSEs are quite different.
For example, the R170 uses 1.8 and 1.9 for the CAN bus, and W210 uses 1.9 and 1.10.
And the W210 uses the main CAN bus, whereas the R170 has a sub-bus to the N10-3.

So I come to doubt that the W210 PSE can be used on the R170.

Back to the bus!

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
I'm going to have a look at my system tomorrow; I have a standard key, which works in the ignition (and I understand needs to be an active key, read by proximity power, not using the battery) and it arms an alarm in the car.
More to follow.
Anon
Took out the lining of the boot, and confirmed that the ATA wiring has been totally removed from my car.
And the wires patched into the PSE connector, run towards the front of the car, for some sort of alarm.
So I have doubts that I will be able to get a PSE and get the car to work properly.
:(

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Patching wires

Interesting chain of thought.
Once you start patching the wiring harness to allow the inputs to the PSE to have the desired function, it seems appropriate that I connect the dome light to the two door pin-switches, and the boot light to the boot switch.

I don't expect to get the PSE functions completely from discrete components (not least because I will not be putting the effort into the CAN bus) but do wonder if I can get it so that only a person who knows the fully functionality of the PSE could detect that it is not a normal installation.

Hmm...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry not answer, but i´m too busy. I realize that i have corrosion in the switchs and i will take care of it. Maybe next week i will try take more pictures of the wires and understand were do they connect.
I have an aftermarket alarm. at this moment i have full function of the pse, except:
The front light regulator does not work, and the driver door doom light switch does not work. i already change by the passenger door and it still doesn`t work, but in passenger door boot switchs works fine.

my pse pump was intalled by a mb dealer, and the changes made were made by a mb dealer. I just don`t now they change the entire system or just change the wire connectors. i think they just change the connectors because i have a orange connector that connects in the old pse pump and doesnt connect anywere in the new one.

you can see the pump has 3 vacuum lines close and only one conects the yellow line. that yellow line splits in 6 lines as you can see in the down in the second picture. the change they made were not only electrical but also change the vacuum lines.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
sorry not answer, but i´m too busy.
No worries about timing; I'm following a thread in my own right that is looking promising, and hope to report back once it's matured.
I realize that i have corrosion in the switchs and i will take care of it. Maybe next week i will try take more pictures of the wires and understand were do they connect.
Corrosion of connectors and switches continues to be a problem; different functions from the similar stimulus is the stimulus; lost function from many stimulus is the function (relay or wiring or connector)
I have an aftermarket alarm.
Interesting how this can be integrated into the PSE operation. I'm heading there soon.
at this moment i have full function of the pse, except:
The front light regulator does not work, and the driver door doom light switch does not work. i already change by the passenger door and it still doesn`t work, but in passenger door boot switchs works fine.
Does the boot light turn on and off with the boot or passenger door? (Takes an SLK owner to be able to see if the boot light is off even when the boot is shut! ;) )
I'm wondering if I can get the PSE to provide light control even without the central locking coming from teh PSE logic.
Still chasing down the wiring to be able to recognise the connectors, since the 210 and 170 white/black connecotrs are quite different.
my pse pump was intalled by a mb dealer, and the changes made were made by a mb dealer.
Hmm; everyone I have spoken to expect the MB dealer to fit standard gear; if the components are expensive, that is for you, the customer, to deal with. So either MB dealers are more obliging in your country, or the cost of investigative labour is less, so they are prepared to do this work.
I just don`t now they change the entire system or just change the wire connectors. i think they just change the connectors because i have a orange connector that connects in the old pse pump and doesnt connect anywere in the new one.
The orange connector (4x1) with the four wires is the main power source for the PSE, and looks very similar to the "standard" 4x1 that my car and my 210 PSE have; your PSE photo shows that the power connector is a four-block (2x2) and smaller pins.
you can see the pump has 3 vacuum lines close and only one conects the yellow line. that yellow line splits in 6 lines as you can see in the down in the second picture. the change they made were not only electrical but also change the vacuum lines.
My car has five things operated by the vacuum; drivers door lock, passenger door lock, armrest lock, fuel filler lock, and boot lock. So two of the three outlets from the standard PSE are split into two to drive two locks.

It's all very complicated, and is taking time to get the information; even when you know what should be connected, versions differ by year, so the wiring diagrams are not very useful.

At the moment, I'm focussed on getting the 210 PSE I have working with the 170 I have (central locking only). Once that is working, I'll get back to the dome light issues, and chase the other things the PSE is meant to provide to a normal 170. And then anything else that still doesn't work might be a problem with something else!
:)
Anon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Some clarifications:
The alarm functions for the UK pre-facelift R170 are provided by a standard fit Scorpion alarm, and does not use the ATA functions of the PSE unit. This alternative alarm is a dealer fit item, and operates off the Mercedes key, so is effectively indistinguishable from the ATA function.
When the car is unlocked, the dome light illuminates (from the N10-3, reading the unlock command). When the door is opened, the dome light illuminates (from the N10-3, reading the pin-switches via the A37 PSE).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.