Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving up to the city ( San Fran ) today to Harris' steakhouse (which by the way is fantastic) and it's a wet, rainy day. Traffic is horrific on 280/101, so I'm taking El Camino up into the city. Get to Guerrero, and near the Market St turn, near about 14th street I'm behind someone in the right lane.

He starts backing up as if to parallel park. To my horror there's barely any time for me to react and back up (or room since it's on a busy street!), and even though I did make a good try to get into reverse and sound the horn, he runs into my front at around ~ 1-3 mph max.

Got out of the car to take a look, and the front trim ring/support appears to be warped and cracked, pics below:

Got his insurance information from him, fortunately he carries the same insurance I have (USAA), so I don't expect to get too much of a run around. He looked really bummed about the entire experience, and contrite about it. I wasn't too angry, given that the damage didn't seem that bad to me.

Part cost doesn't seem too bad after looking here

http://mercedespartssuperstore.com/parts/2013/Mercedes-Benz/SLK350/Base?siteid=217866&vehicleid=391441&diagram=5740035

Although I'm sure if I got the dealer to make the repairs it would cost me a fortune. I'll have to see where it goes from here. Just annoying to have to deal with this, and it's fortunate that it was such a low speed accident that no one got hurt.

Kind of ruined the whole dining experience afterwards with friends, but I got over it pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,935 Posts
Although the damage isn't too bad but it's still a bummer it happened. Makes you wonder what the heck kind of drivers are out there.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
That sucks..I'm sorry to hear it but Im glad it was minor. I am in agreement with DF, you have no idea what is going on with the parts/sensors behind the grill. One selfie DIY could bring nothing but grief. And later on, if you attempted to bring it in under warrenty, they would be able to tell it was in some kind of accident. Just not worth it. Your girl is like new.. I'd let insurance and the dealership handle it all.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
As others have stated: I would have an MB-certified body shop do the repairs. It looks like a single molded piece or has pieces that are snapped on that may not be amenable to removal of just the damaged part.

Quite sorry to learn of the incident.

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Redpriest, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad it wasn't any worse than what's shown. Like everyone else says, have the insurance take care of it. Hopefully the perp. won't turn the story around and say that you rear ended him! I'm still amazed at how even those that look honest can be deceiving!

However, on the good side................AT LEAST WE FINALLY GOT SOME RAIN!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm taking it to All Foreign and Domestic Body Shop in Stockton, which seems to get great reviews, is MB certified, and is also an "approved" USAA repair shop. I can take it anywhere else, but it gets expedited this way

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear this. Did he say why he suddenly decided to reverse into you? - It can't be because he doesn't like the nose on the R172?!!
Hahaha. It was very rainy and I just don't think he saw or paid attention to me. I wasn't that close to him, maybe 2-3 feet? He couldn't have possibly seen the nose of my car :) I think I had about 6 seconds to react and I was sort of stunned at what he was doing.

OTH that emblem is the only thing that (outside appearance wise) seems to be damaged on the car. Not even a scratch on the paint or anywhere else. It's literally the most forward protrusion of the car so it took the brunt of the damage.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
The nose is the new bumper :biglaugh:

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
I'm taking it to All Foreign and Domestic Body Shop in Stockton........
Stockton?????? Wow, that's an awful long drive when there are so many great shops right here in the Bay Area? Do you live in the valley? That would seem so inconvenient to me. Does not your insurance company have any relationship with any of our local body shops?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually live near Modesto so it's not as bad as it seems, even though that is a ways away. I should have checked near work though, oh well. This whole thing is a PITA. :/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had almost the same thing happen to us in Montgomery last weekend. We were in a parking lot with a car in front of us. The lady saw a parking spot she just had to have and decided to back up. She had no clue we were behind her. I didn't have any time to react other than hitting horn and hoping she heard me. There were two bicycle cops tooling around and they watched the whole episode. Luckily she heard me and stopped about 6 inches from our bumper. I really think the car is so low that she never even realized there was a car behind her. Glad she didn't hit us though. I have enough drama in my life right now.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Estimate:

Line Oper Description Part Number Qty Extended Price $ Labor Paint
1 FRONT BUMPER & GRILLE
2 R&I R&I bumper assy 1.6
3 Repl Emblem 0008171016 1 60.00 0.3
4 Repl Emblem support 2188880060 1 24.00 Incl.
5 Repl Trim ring silver 17288508239982 1 67.00 Incl.
6 R&I Grille assy w/o park sensor 0.5
SUBTOTALS 151.00 2.4 0.0

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Category Basis Rate Cost $
Parts 151.00
Parts Discount $ 151.00 -5.0 % -7.55
Body Labor 2.4 hrs @ $ 66.00 /hr 158.40
Subtotal 301.85
Sales Tax $ 143.45 @ 8.2500 % 11.83
Grand Total 313.68
Deductible 500.00
CUSTOMER PAY 313.68

Deductible waived for me, so that makes me happy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had almost the same thing happen to us in Montgomery last weekend. We were in a parking lot with a car in front of us. The lady saw a parking spot she just had to have and decided to back up. She had no clue we were behind her. I didn't have any time to react other than hitting horn and hoping she heard me. There were two bicycle cops tooling around and they watched the whole episode. Luckily she heard me and stopped about 6 inches from our bumper. I really think the car is so low that she never even realized there was a car behind her. Glad she didn't hit us though. I have enough drama in my life right now.

Hello my fellow Alabama person. I live in Montgomery as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Estimate:

Line Oper Description Part Number Qty Extended Price $ Labor Paint
1 FRONT BUMPER & GRILLE
2 R&I R&I bumper assy 1.6
3 Repl Emblem 0008171016 1 60.00 0.3
4 Repl Emblem support 2188880060 1 24.00 Incl.
5 Repl Trim ring silver 17288508239982 1 67.00 Incl.
6 R&I Grille assy w/o park sensor 0.5
SUBTOTALS 151.00 2.4 0.0

ESTIMATE TOTALS
Category Basis Rate Cost $
Parts 151.00
Parts Discount $ 151.00 -5.0 % -7.55
Body Labor 2.4 hrs @ $ 66.00 /hr 158.40
Subtotal 301.85
Sales Tax $ 143.45 @ 8.2500 % 11.83
Grand Total 313.68
Deductible 500.00
CUSTOMER PAY 313.68

Deductible waived for me, so that makes me happy.
I wouldn't let this ruin my day. Purely cosmetic damage. No structural or mechanical damage. Easily fixed. You'll never know it was tapped. Other than the aggravation of having it in the shop for a day, not so bad. At least the the guy who backed into you was a decent guy and took the blame with USAA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts