Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I dunno.......I had an earlier blade and that used to lift off at the drop of clutch.......used to scare the **** out of me for the first couple of months of ownership:surprise:>:D
An old Yamaha XS-1100 did the same for me. Tried to kill me the first time I rode it. Bought it on the spot.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
I remember the first time I rode my blackbird......at the time, the fastest production in the world >:D
I found it on line so took my helmet and leathers on the train up to Doncaster, saw it in the flesh, bought it and then rode it home.
My bike at the time was a GSXR 750 so you can imagine my surprise when I got the blackbird onto the motorway slip road and opened her up......:surprise:
At that point I knew how people tortured on ‘the rack’ must have felt as my shoulders were nearly pulled from their sockets trying to hold on for dear life.:surprise:
I must admit that after owning her for a few months I got used to the power and then started thinking of something with more power......>:D
Now, I wonder if I can supercharge an R172 55???:grin:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its funny. I felt the same about the 600. But then I shaved 35 pounds off of it and now it's pretty hairy. I rebuilt it over the winter as well and I must have done something right but it just screams. With the front being so light it's likely that I won't get into a litre bike

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Big old battleship that it was, my R1150 RT BMW could get the front wheel airborne even with my portly lump on its back and it was no featherweight I can tell you.

Thankfully my 6 year or so commute from Sussex to London, about 60 miles each way, half on little B roads, 1/3 on highway and the rest in the city, paused every winter. The roads were too slick and it was just too bloody cold for me.

The winter break gave me time to get my head back into the safe space, popping wheelies when the whole lot weighs around 1/3 of a ton is not conducive to a long life!

Ah ...... a permanent overtone of 'Eau-de-diesel' and collars on shirts that would never come clean ......... I don't miss it for one second! :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Its funny. I felt the same about the 600. But then I shaved 35 pounds off of it and now it's pretty hairy. I rebuilt it over the winter as well and I must have done something right but it just screams. With the front being so light it's likely that I won't get into a litre bike
Ok so it’s a CBR600RR then?
I thought it was a fire blade.:grin:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so it’s a CBR600RR then?
I thought it was a fire blade.:grin:
Sorry 'bout that, yes it's a 600RR. Just got back from a nice ride. Nailed a bunch of corners, bike's running good. Very rewarding since the overhaul over the winter was pretty intense.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Here's a better pic albeit an old (pre titanium)
Very nice.
I test rode one when they first came out. I had a firestorm at the time so I was used to big lazy torque and power.
The first car that I overtook I opened the throttle and........nothing........:surprise:
2 or 3 seconds had passed and i was getting worried about the car approaching from the other direction with me on his side of the road and then, at about 8k rpm, an almighty rush of power that seemed to go on and on and on.
In fact, I think it redlined at about 16k rpm. I looked at the speedo and I was well into triple figures :surprise:
When I got back to the shop I was telling the sales guy about my experience and his reply was “ people wanted a bike that performed like a race bike. Honda could have made it more extreme but toned it down for the road” :surprise:
Great bike though, I just wished they had told me about the power delivery before letting me loose on it.:grin:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, that's what they are like stock. Honda over-gears them to keep people from killing themselves. It makes the acceleration rate much slower and the power band much more manageable. Drop the front sprocket two teeth and add a tooth to the rear sprocket and the acceleration rate jumps by several orders of magnitude 0:)

8,000 RPM is just outside of the power band and the fat of it is 10,000 to 14,500 or so. I love it because of the shriek it makes upstairs. It always amazes me that they are legal and could be bought from a store!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Don't, I went from a GSXR750 to a 1000 and it isn't nearly as much fun. You have to be WAY past license losing territory for it to be much fun because it is so stable. Stick with the 600. I would be dropping back down if I buy a new one, probably go to a hooligan bike like the KTM Duke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts