Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a former Nissan 350z convertible owner; many years ago my wife showed up on the driveway with this funny looking car called a Mercedes C320 2 door coupe...she loved it. This was my first contact with a Mercedes. Shortly after she traded that in for a C300. When I was allowed behind the well I thought it was great. So I decided to take the plunge and bought a CLK 350 Convertible. 2 years ago I traded it in and I bought my first SLK ..a 2010 350 with AMG styling from a Dodge dealer no less. I am thankful to him for virtually giving it away because clearly he did not see any value having a German car sat among his Dodge's and Jeeps..I stole it from him.

However not being content of stealing one Mercedes this weekend I stole a 2012 55 AMG...with 13,000 KMS, carbon package (I think that's the premium package?), lighting package, AMG Sports package and Magic sky roof. It was the the 5th car in line of a rich gentleman's garage and he simply brought it back when the lease ran out. The car was looking like it came straight out of the showroom (first pics in my profile - more to come) not a mark anywhere...anyway the minute I started that engine I fell in love:x Believe it or not I made a stupid offer, given the condition of the vehicle and through some fine tuned negotiation skills I stole the car, (I am sure I didn't but it felt like it) given what other dealers were asking for the same year of car with less packages and a lot more kilometres.

So what are my first impressions over my 350. I am still not entirely in love with the styling but it has a front end only the owner could love. Engine size obviously and certainly comfort for one. The suspension still felt somewhat stiff even in C mode especially over a few bumps on the highway but what else is new. I soon discovered that the stop/engine off / start had to be disengaged especially around town, it drove me nuts. I found the eco 4 to 8 cylinder worked well when continually driving on the highway or a long stretch of road but when I got into stop start traffic I found the pick up from a standing start a bit jerky, so in the end I turned the Eco off. On the way home tonight the brakes started squeaking just before coming to a stop, didn't happen yesterday and this morning so I guess I could have picked up some debris somewhere. The Comand is relatively new to me so that will take some getting used to but overall my first impressions are that apart from the front end, but I guess I will come to love it like an ugly child, it is definitely a marked improvement over the R171..oh and I received my first chip on the hood....now I am going to have 3M put on as I did with the 350.

If any AMG owners can offer me some advice and tips I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
Congrats! If you want any info on my R171, just ask but the R172 AMG is a different animal.
I do have Clearbra on so see my albums for that

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,161 Posts
You mean the Beast? :D Very dangerous but loads of fun!
I'm talking of the R171 AMG.

see my header thread in my sig if u haven't :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts