Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my brother went and eyeballed the potential new ride this morning. It looks great, but it pulls slightly to the left (normal driving and breaking). The seller says that it's a usual thing with the 18" wheels, where the tyres wear unevenly and he'll put a new set of boots on it. Sounds suspicious. I'm wondering if it's something more serious. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
That does make sense if tires are wearing uneven. Have him get a 4 wheel alignment on his nickel and tires and then see if it pulls :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you, but I'm worried that a new set of tyres will mask the problem and in a couple of months they wear so much that I've got to get another set and there's a more serious fault.

Is it true that there's a known problem with 18" alloys causing pulling, like he says?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Never heard of that issue. I've had my 18 inch wheels 7.5 years!
and been here 9.5 years :D

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
I hear you, but I'm worried that a new set of tyres will mask the problem and in a couple of months they wear so much that I've got to get another set and there's a more serious fault.

Is it true that there's a known problem with 18" alloys causing pulling, like he says?
The alignment check should show up any worn bushes, track rod ends, ball joints etc and they usually have a computer print out showing alignment before and after adjustment and any remedial work done to rectify the misalignment (if any)

Regards Stuart

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one, Stuart, I'll ask for the print-out :)

Reactions: 55russamg

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Hey! I said that 1st! :D MB tests it and gives you the printout
but let them take it to mb for the test and have it corrected.
if they take it someplace else, they might not have a printout or they might say all is well.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Here is my last printout

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
First thing i would do is check for accident damage etc, then what has already been suggested, the size of the wheels should make no difference whether it pulls or not, although unevenly worn tyres might, tread carefully (no pun intended ) and hope it works out ok for you. :smile:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just here to chime in with my two cents, but the size of the wheels has no effect on whether or not a car pulls. The only thing they would affect is the accuracy of the speedometer if the tire ratio is not maintained.

Check all suspension components and alignment. Take the car to an independent mechanic that the seller has no relationship with to get the alignment done. I would also recommend getting Pre-Purchase inspection (PPI) on the car to get the full story of the state it is in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shocks look good and no visible damage to the rest of the suspension. Hoping it's been run with the wrong tyre pressures for a while or something.

On another note, it's passed it's HPI check :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good luck.

Reactions: kingronnie

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's all arranged. He's holding it for me until the weekend. I'm travelling to see it on Saturday morning and hopefully have it home before bed (all being well). R) :woot:

Reactions: dbgrn and jbanks15

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts