Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in Wales yesterday, just for a day, to visit my wife's sister, and when we left her house last night to go to the hotel, my car had a small seizure.

pulling out of a turning, suddenly the warning lights started coming up, I had the traction control light up, the tyre pressure monitor said it was inactive, and the engine light came on, and the car was unresponsive to the accelerator, it would only go to 1000 revs..

So I pulled over where I could and restarted the engine, it reset most things except the engine check light., but at least it was drivable and normal responsiveness was back

this morning, I started her up, to see if a nights rest would extinguish the engine check light, but nope it was still there..

We had a small drive, went into a few shops, and then when we started her again, the light was out, and has remained out for the 250 mile drive home we've just done..

So, any ideas what that might have been..?, should I still take it in to be checked out, even though the warning lights have now been extinguished?

Cheers

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
The car will most likely have recorded the fault. If you live close to Sean he could read it for you, or any dealer/indy/member with a STAR Diagnostic tool. You may want to at least call the dealer so that they have a record of the problem in case it gets more serious in the future. Hopefuully an intermittant brain cramp.

Best Wishes.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
....... You may want to at least call the dealer so that they have a record of the problem in case it gets more serious in the future. Hopefuully an intermittant brain cramp.....
+1 for that. I am not exactly sure, but if something goes really haywire and the whole things goes belly up, not sure if MB will use the excuse that you "ignored the previous CEL so therefore it's not under warranty". Definitely something is/went wrong that shouldn't have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
similar glitch in new Ford Focus

My winter car is a new Ford Focus with all the options including NAV and Self Park (which I thought I'd never use but now seems like I can't stop using it). A few months ago, similar thing happened, randon glitches with electronics, engine power, transmission shifting on it's own. Since I had not parked it near an Indian Burial Ground, I figure it could not be haunted, so I hobbled to the dealer. Even though it was fairly new, the battery had gone bad. The new cars need a solid battery for the computers. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely phone the dealer and take it in. Coud be the car went into "limp mode". Other makes have this issue. Often turning the car off, then on again, will reset the code. But it is time to get the car looked at.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely phone the dealer and take it in. Coud be the car went into "limp mode". Other makes have this issue. Often turning the car off, then on again, will reset the code. But it is time to get the car looked at.

Just had a similiar problem. To me this sounds like your engine control module, which would explain the under performance (only revs to 1k) and the check engine light staying on. No worries however, as this part is warranted by the big shots in Stuttgart and will be a free repair by the dealer. Good luck, and let me know if this is indeed the fault.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rightio, so an update on this problem,

Since the initial problem I had in Wales, the car had another couple of brain farts.

One when trying to use the paddle shifters and trying to floor it round a bend, it threw a fit, orange check light came on and went into limp home mode, I pulled over and restarted it, it cleared the orange check light, so I pull out onto the dual carriageway again, and hit the gas, and it had another brain fart, but this time sounded worse, like it was running on 4 of the 8 cylinders, really lumpy and chugging.. pulled over and restarted, but this time the check light stayed on.

So, I booked the car in on the 13th May, for them to have a look over it, they couldn't really decide from the codes (I don't know what the codes were), what the problem was, but they updated some software, and asked me to go and try it, and if it should happen again, they'll book it in for a couple of days, and have a thorough investigation.

Well it only took me 7 days to break it again, (and it's not my daily driver either, probably only done a few miles in it since I got it back), and on the way home from work today, boom, farty, farty, 4 cylinders was back.. so I've booked it in again.

Will keep you all updated on any progress.. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2013 SLK AMG hasn’t even arrived yet, but already I’m beginning to worry a bit about its reliability after reading many of the posts on this forum.
I’m hoping most of what I see is statistical abnormalities (few write to say their car is running great today). But with all the power steering units, water pumps, and other problems I’m beginning to worry!

Good luck with getting your problems resolved/repaired.

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Car Issues

My 2013 SLK AMG hasn’t even arrived yet, but already I’m beginning to worry a bit about its reliability after reading many of the posts on this forum.
I’m hoping most of what I see is statistical abnormalities (few write to say their car is running great today). But with all the power steering units, water pumps, and other problems I’m beginning to worry!

Good luck with getting your problems resolved/repaired.
I wouldn't be too concerned that you might get a car with 'issues'. I've had mine for 9 months and absolutely love it - not to say it hasn't had 'issues'. In fact, I got my first CEL/Limp mode issue late last week. Took it in last Friday and got it back yesterday - it was a 'stuck' exhaust flap actuator (these AMGs have a pretty neat exhaust system). I've also had a headlight assembly go out on it that took a couple more days. With all of the high tech stuff on these cars, I'd expect a few bumps in the road, but certainly nothing like the engine issues a couple of the folks have had (hope they all get sorted out). My car can either purr like a kitten or growl like a lion, depending on what I want from it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned that you might get a car with 'issues'. I've had mine for 9 months and absolutely love it - not to say it hasn't had 'issues'. In fact, I got my first CEL/Limp mode issue late last week. Took it in last Friday and got it back yesterday - it was a 'stuck' exhaust flap actuator (these AMGs have a pretty neat exhaust system). I've also had a headlight assembly go out on it that took a couple more days. With all of the high tech stuff on these cars, I'd expect a few bumps in the road, but certainly nothing like the engine issues a couple of the folks have had (hope they all get sorted out). My car can either purr like a kitten or growl like a lion, depending on what I want from it!
I'm sorry, I have to disagree. These cars should be tested and if the systems are not reliable, the systems should not be used. Far too many of us has system failures and cars going into limp mode... Shame on MB for putting us in test cars.

·
Room 4 2
235 Posts
Expectations and Perspectives

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. These cars should be tested and if the systems are not reliable, the systems should not be used. Far too many of us has system failures and cars going into limp mode... Shame on MB for putting us in test cars.
coopslk - Absolutely no need to apologize for having a different opinion. On this subject, I'm sure every member of the forum would have a different opinion from either of us. I suppose to me it all boils down to expectations. Offhand, I can't think of any complicated system or technology that doesn't have 'issues' - and if these cars are anything, they are definitely complicated. My personal expectation is that there are going to be occasional 'issues' with some of the newer technologies. I think our different perspectives have to do with how MB has handled our 'issues'. While I feel I've been treated with the greatest respect and courtesy by my dealer, if I'd had any of the experiences that you've been having, I would probably feel differently (in fact, I'm sure I would). Anyway, IMHO and for what it's worth, if MB (or any other manufacturer) waited to develop the 'perfect' car before they sold any, I'm afraid they wouldn't be in business very long. But when one of their cars has an 'issue', they need to admit it and work with the owner and his car to make the owner 'whole' again.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,422 Posts
Coop, your Mercedes has burned you like a supernova! If your car was a woman you would turn gay over it! The fact that you even would contemplate driving another one shows your extreme loyalty to the brand. Mercedes should be courting you with a bouquet of flowers!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got my first CEL/Limp mode issue late last week. Took it in last Friday and got it back yesterday - it was a 'stuck' exhaust flap actuator (these AMGs have a pretty neat exhaust system).
Now it's funny you should mention that, as the last time it happened, I actually thought to myself, I wonder if it's the exhaust flaps. !!!

I've realised this only happens under extreme acceleration (something you'd hope an AMG could handle), but the last time, I swear I thought just as the last phase of the exhaust was gonna open, to fully open, it happened., and I've never really had this happen when driving 'normally', as the exhaust flaps don't even get to open fully.

I'm definitely going to ask them to check this out.. Cheers slk55_kt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts