Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a 1999 SLK230 Compressor with only 49k miles. It was owned my an older couple for most of its life, abused for a year and then sat mostly unused for another year or two. The exterior is in excellent condition, but from what I can tell the car has had little maintenance performed besides regular oil changes and the roof hydraulics repaired. I've owned and maintained a few VW's and thankfully the SLK maintenance seems fairly intuitive.

All things considered the car is running well, but could use some love. New plugs, wires and coils resolved my first round of issues, but I'm still having some occasional rough starts and sluggishness and other oddities to work through. I have a new fuel filter (I suspect it's still the original in there) as well as a new cam and crankshaft sensor to install. Some new vacuum lines are needed too.

Next up is the suspension which I have less experience with and will be asking for advice. I have a set of Bilstein B6's waiting to be installed, but a lot of the control arm bushings are in pretty rough shape. I haven't decided whether I should try to replace the bushings or the entire control arms, but I'd rather keep the expenses down right now.

On the same note, the car came with the stock 16" rims with worn out tires and a rather nice set of new Mercedes multispoke 17" rims with nice 225x55x17 tires. The tires seem to drag scrape in tight turns and I'm wondering if they're a touch too big for the car. Maybe the suspension upgrades will address this, but I've wondered if I should size down the tires a bit. 215x45x17s seem like they should work if the suspension upgrades aren't enough. I would like to keep the 17" rims if possible though.

Any advice on the suspension, tire size or other suggested maintenance is much appreciated!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

Don’t forget to lube those seals:

Mods you should think about doing to your SLK (once you've done the other maintenance work):

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Dave

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,666 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome from Maryland. I have the same car with 190K and is running great. What part of Ohio are you from? My daughter just move outside of Columbus and I'm planning on taking a few top down drives through the state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

Don’t forget to lube those seals:

Mods you should think about doing to your SLK (once you've done the other maintenance work):

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Dave
I was just about to order a SmartTop and was reading the Mod4Cars site that seems to indicate that the remote for a 1999 will not allow remote control of the top. I have read other posts from users with 1999 SLK230's that seem to indicate otherwise, so I'm a bit confused. I'd love to be able to lower the top with the push of a button as I approach the car and I'm not sure the module is worth the cost to me right now without this feature.

Has anyone had success with the SmartTop remotely controlling the top of a 1999 SLK230?

The language from Mod4Cars that concerns me:
Important compatibility notes:
Our module is generally compatible to all SLK R170 models, but on the earliest models (before 2000) which use a One-Button IR remote there are some limitations:
Remote control of the convertible top is NOT possible with the IR remote. For remote operation key sequence commands like 3x LOCK or 3x UNLOCK are required, which can not be given with a one-button remote.
All other features like one-touch top operation while driving or one-touch comfort close for all windows are still available.
Please see manual below for full function description.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Welcome from Madrid...

The tyre sizes for the wheels if they are staggered should be 225/45/17 and 245/40/17, but you should check the width (marked inside the wheel, 8J etc) and the ET (marked inside the wheel, ET35 etc) to make sure they're suitable for the Slk in case they came originally from another model.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I was just about to order a SmartTop and was reading the Mod4Cars site that seems to indicate that the remote for a 1999 will not allow remote control of the top. I have read other posts from users with 1999 SLK230's that seem to indicate otherwise, so I'm a bit confused. I'd love to be able to lower the top with the push of a button as I approach the car and I'm not sure the module is worth the cost to me right now without this feature.

Has anyone had success with the SmartTop remotely controlling the top of a 1999 SLK230?

The language from Mod4Cars that concerns me:
Important compatibility notes:
Our module is generally compatible to all SLK R170 models, but on the earliest models (before 2000) which use a One-Button IR remote there are some limitations:
Remote control of the convertible top is NOT possible with the IR remote. For remote operation key sequence commands like 3x LOCK or 3x UNLOCK are required, which can not be given with a one-button remote.
All other features like one-touch top operation while driving or one-touch comfort close for all windows are still available.
Please see manual below for full function description.
Great question, I wasn't aware of that issue/feature/limitation...

Is there anyone here with a SmartTop on a pre-2000 R170 that can help tubeamps with the answer to the following question...

Edit: @tubeamps, check out Craige's (curro101) response above about 1-button or 2-button remote... Which do you have?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Edit: @tubeamps, check out Craige's (curro101) response above about 1-button or 2-button remote... Which do you have?
First, thanks much for the quick and encouraging responses.

I'm fairly certain that I have a 2 button remote. A picture's worth a thousand words, so I attached one of my remote. I'm fairly certain this is the 2 button remote, but it's actually a lock and unlock button with a slightly raised circle and a panic button.

My main confusion is that I can't seem to find an image of the 1 button remote to compare. I'll give it a shot and see where I end up. If I knew it wouldn't work I would likely put the money towards a few other mods.

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
First, thanks much for the quick and encouraging responses.

I'm fairly certain that I have a 2 button remote. A picture's worth a thousand words, so I attached one of my remote. I'm fairly certain this is the 2 button remote, but it's actually a lock and unlock button with a slightly raised circle and a panic button.

My main confusion is that I can't seem to find an image of the 1 button remote to compare. I'll give it a shot and see where I end up. If I knew it wouldn't work I would likely put the money towards a few other mods.

That looks like more than 1 button to me... as long as you have separate buttons for lock and unlock (which it looks like you do), then I'd expect it to work with SmartTop... 3 presses of unlock (timed correctly) opens the roof, and 3 presses of lock closes it again.

Either way, it's also very cool to be able to open or close the roof as you're starting or ending your journey too (i.e. while still moving). :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
and SmartTop uses rf and not ir anyway :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.