Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to post this in "General Modifications R171" because thats all I've done so far... very basic, nothing major. But, I wanted to show some pictures of my car as of now along with my wish list for upcoming modifications.

So far I've swapped out the amber turn indicators in the front and the rear for the chromed indicator bulbs. I also got the clear corners and shorty antenna. I have also swapped out the high beams, low beams and fogs for new "whiter" bulbs. I also got a new engine cover as mine had missing clips and didnt sit on straight, got my headlights resurfaced as I had several surface scratches on them, and gotten all new tires (continental W-rated tires).

Next on the list is the LED parking bulbs and LED license plate bulbs from SLKstore.com. After that is ///AMG style hood fins and ///AMG style lip spoiler (not CF, but painted to match body color). I'm still debating if I want to debadge the SLK350 emblem and paint the tail lights to look more ///AMG. My first "big" mod will be to add the Pioneer AVIC-Z120 BT (unless something newer/better comes out between now and then). After that is piecha quad tip exhaust. I'm holding off on wheels/tires until I can afford to get wheels/tires and suspension done at the same time.

Any suggestions welcomed. But basically I just wanted to post some pics of the car thus far. The weather isn't too cold today in DC (33 degrees F this morning) so I went and detailed the car and snapped some photos when I got back home. Enjoy...

EDIT: I HATE that I am required by DC law to have a front license plate. I'm born/raised in Kansas and front license plates are not required by law. I feel like it really disrupts the front bumper styling.

Attachments

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the changes as you progress. I like the clear bumper markers. They make a big difference and I upgraded my last Porsche from amber to clear. I think I will be doing the same for the SLK. Car looks great so far. Have fun!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited about the upcoming mods. I've only owned the car for about 2 1/2 months... so I'm happy with the knowledge I've gained and the progress I've made thus far.
Stinger... clear markers on your car would be the finishing touch, IMHO. The icing on the cake...
TheRegans... do you see what I mean about having similar cars with similar style? lol

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
After that is ///AMG style hood fins and ///AMG style lip spoiler (not CF, but painted to match body color). I'm still debating if I want to debadge the SLK350 emblem and paint the tail lights to look more ///AMG.
I think you should buy my slightly damaged CF trunk spoiler for cheap and have a body shop smooth it out and paint it. :biglaugh: As for the taillights, I would look into tinted film for that AMG look. If you paint the taillights, is it easy to reverse it?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly, after paying for a shop to do that work, I'd probably be close to the cost of a new painted one from slk store. can you email me a pic of it and your price?
how did you do your tail lights? I thought you said it was painted

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi slk350wdc......I tinted the rear tail lights on my 350....should be able to see it on my avatar if not I'll post a better pic? I got a tint spray on Ebay, it says that its easy to reverse as well??? Just think that once I tinted my windows and with the car being Obsidian, the tail lights stood out too much. I like the look of it and it doesn't restrict the functionality of the lights either, you loose very little light from them.

An easy job, just took of the 4 nuts, disconnected the wiring looms and gave it a spray....also did the 3rd brake light as well for consistency, but tit was a pita to get out!!!!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
265 Posts
If my car wasn't black I would have done exactly that, but I prefer my rear lights gently "smoked", gives it a bit more individuality without being too "chav"

Again get something to practise spray painting on first,cheap piece of plastic or even buy any old random light unit of Ebay and practise on that before you do it. I'm quite handy so getting the light unit out was no major problem, just a bit fiddly....failing that just make sure you mask off the intended area well....spray paint gets through a pin hole....

HTH:tu:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done quite a bit of painting in the past.... and got so comfortable with it, I even offered my services to friends or anyone i was referred to, once upon a time, for interior painting. I really enjoyed it. I've never done tail lights before, but am comfortable with my abilities. I'm not going to attempt this today, this week or even this month. I keep waiting for a boring, rainy day to try to get this done. Perhaps between now and then I may take your advice and give it a shot on a cheap ebay alternative

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
honestly, after paying for a shop to do that work, I'd probably be close to the cost of a new painted one from slk store. can you email me a pic of it and your price?
how did you do your tail lights? I thought you said it was painted
Look up Lamin-x protective film. They have the clear stuff that goes over your headlamps and the colored stuff for your fogs and taillights. I guess I could've tried myself but I had a shop do them-it's like peel, stick, trim. I went with ****moke color.

I emailed you about the rear spoiler. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel overwhelmed at the moment with all the information I've gotten in the last 24 hours. Not only do I have alot of information, but alot of good people to rely on.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
460 Posts
If it weren't for the beautiful 10 spoke 17" wheels, I would swear I was looking at my car.......... (Nice job)!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it weren't for the beautiful 10 spoke 17" wheels, I would swear I was looking at my car.......... (Nice job)!!!!!!!!
I'm really not a big fan of the 10 spoke wheels. they're not my favorite. I liked them when I bought the car... but now that I see them regularly, I think I got bored with them. very quickly.

thanks for the compliments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided to post this in "General Modifications R171" because thats all I've done so far... very basic, nothing major. But, I wanted to show some pictures of my car as of now along with my wish list for upcoming modifications.

So far I've swapped out the amber turn indicators in the front and the rear for the chromed indicator bulbs. I also got the clear corners and shorty antenna. I have also swapped out the high beams, low beams and fogs for new "whiter" bulbs. I also got a new engine cover as mine had missing clips and didnt sit on straight, got my headlights resurfaced as I had several surface scratches on them, and gotten all new tires (continental W-rated tires).

Next on the list is the LED parking bulbs and LED license plate bulbs from SLKstore.com. After that is ///AMG style hood fins and ///AMG style lip spoiler (not CF, but painted to match body color). I'm still debating if I want to debadge the SLK350 emblem and paint the tail lights to look more ///AMG. My first "big" mod will be to add the Pioneer AVIC-Z120 BT (unless something newer/better comes out between now and then). After that is piecha quad tip exhaust. I'm holding off on wheels/tires until I can afford to get wheels/tires and suspension done at the same time.

Any suggestions welcomed. But basically I just wanted to post some pics of the car thus far. The weather isn't too cold today in DC (33 degrees F this morning) so I went and detailed the car and snapped some photos when I got back home. Enjoy...

EDIT: I HATE that I am required by DC law to have a front license plate. I'm born/raised in Kansas and front license plates are not required by law. I feel like it really disrupts the front bumper styling.

You can try using an European style license plate if it is legal in that state.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Plus the shorty antenna only perform at its best when installed on it’s intended car (i.e. SL-Class latest models).
Since I have audio 20 currently and dont own but maybe 10 CDs (everything is on my iPod) all I listen to is the radio and I actually recieve better signal. I live in an apartment building close to downtown DC and my parking spot is underground. With my standard antenna I would only get signal until I pulled into the garage. Literally the second I pulled into the garage, I'd lose signal completely. Now, I get signal for about the first 50 ft or so. That, to me, is better signal. I have not once lost signal with the new antenna otherwise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts