Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm impatient and needed to repaint the peely interior on our '99. Rather than ordering/waiting for paint, I went to my local "Marvin's" (like Home Depot or Lowes.) They used their color analyzer on my console lid to match the paint. 15 minutes and $15 dollars later, I had what turned out to be a perfect match.

This is the paint I bought;

This was the formula;

Before;

After;

After a thorough cleaning, it took a couple hours with a foam brush to do a good job. My interior had been redyed before-actually a shade darker- but this was a perfect match to the original panels. Thanks for all the great tips on here!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It would seem that the painted plastic is an Achilles heel of an otherwise beautifully executed interior on the R170's, especially on the lighter colors. I am always cautious of putting my arm on the center console because I don't want to have the paint rub off.

Did you inquire about a paint made specifically for plastic? What, if any, parts and/or trim did you remove to do the job? And what did you use to clean and prep for the paint?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would seem that the painted plastic is an Achilles heel of an otherwise beautifully executed interior on the R170's, especially on the lighter colors. I am always cautious of putting my arm on the center console because I don't want to have the paint rub off.

Did you inquire about a paint made specifically for plastic? What, if any, parts and/or trim did you remove to do the job? And what did you use to clean and prep for the paint?
The "acrylic" latex was recommended for what I told them I was doing. The paint was available in "flat", "satin", "semi-gloss" and "gloss". I used satin -my wife said I maybe should have used the semi-gloss, but it looks right to me.

Krylon does make a spray can paint for plastics, it's called "Fusion". There are some colors that match well for some of our '70's GM Trans Ams and Z/28's, but you can't custom mix it, obviously. "SEM" also makes interior spray paint for re-dying panels as well, but I've only seen/used their products for American cars. You'd need to remove panels or do a massive taping-up job to use the sprays.

I am normally a little fussy/particular, and usually go over the top on these type things, lol. Since it's just a toy, and I was anxious to get it looking better, I didn't remove or even tape up anything. I was determined not to turn it into a complete interior disassemble and 5 day job. Not real proud of that, but it did turn out well enough.

I used Fantastic spray, toothbrushes, and a clean white dish cloth. Just kept going until the cloth came up clean. Lots of crud down in the grain. I wiped it with another clean cloth after that, just damp with water. Last, I did wipe it down with a 3M 'final wipe' stuff that you'd use with a tack cloth before shooting real paint at the body shop. I'm not sure that was even necessary..

I used a foam brush, and was cautious around the trim, but found that it's easily removed with a fingernail from smooth surfaces (like carbon fiber) if you do get it on there. It seems to adhere very well to the other pebble grain finish, although you can rub it off if you're trying.

I do see a coupe spots that may have benefited from some light sanding, especially around the sides of the rear part of the console, where the seat belts go. Mine has caught some abuse there previously, but all in all, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
. . . . it took a couple hours with a foam brush to do a good job. . . .
Very, very nice!! Please keep us informed as to how well it holds up.

The perception of having to disassemble the consoles & dash are what is keeping me from proceeding with redoing mine . . . perhaps there is hope yet!!

How did you handle the area of the rear console besides/against the seats? (Painting/access wise?)

(I'd probably want to do mine in a color more closely matching your carpet though . . . my entire interior being charcoal currently.)

:Beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you use any kind of primer?
No primer..

As far as how it wears - I felt like this was my inexpensive, immediate fix and I'm happy with it. The car is nicely kept and in good shape, but with 145k on it -I didn't feel like it warranted an all-out restoration- there'd be no end!

That being said- if I were going to any further trouble, I would disassemble the interior, clean/prime/paint (spray) the individual parts with a proper interior dye and be done. I've done that process on several of our collector cars from the '60's/70's with great success, but it's very labor/time consuming. Some of my old cars interiors that I redid are holding up very well after years of use - even when the interior color was changed entirely.

*Next, I'll tackle the all original black paint (which I love to work with!) These cars can really be made to shine, even after all this time and neglect. (Thank you Mercedes, for quality paint!) Do I need to start a thread for my paint restoration, or has that been covered to everyone's satisfaction?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My interior was painted grey, so I rubbed off the paint and now I have a nice black throughout....Now I dont have to worry about scratching anything...

You got light panels...not sure how that would work out, but I am impressed with your color match and workmenship...great attention to details...at least in the pic :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Silver body / Silver interior

My car is silver with a black and red interior. I disassembled my entire dash and console. Stripped off all the peeling red and sprayed the parts in silver. The process involved a chemical cleaning after being stripped of paint, I used a plastic bonding primer, metalic silver ( a near match to the body color), and a urethane clear coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
*Next, I'll tackle the all original black paint (which I love to work with!) These cars can really be made to shine, even after all this time and neglect. (Thank you Mercedes, for quality paint!) Do I need to start a thread for my paint restoration, or has that been covered to everyone's satisfaction?
Please start a thread when you tackle that. Looking forward to seeing the results. The interior looks nice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
chemicals

To start I stripped all by hot water, very little chemicals. Wipe cleaned all parts with acetone (quickly). Primer (light grey)was in aerosol can form, dont remember brand. Color coat is a silver metalic wheel paint I had, near match to body color. Clear coat is one of the U-Pol line of products. When complete, the finish is better than the body of the car.

Not a ruberized finish, mine is like the outside body ,only inside the car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.