Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250 CDi
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up this morning to find that overnight some scumbag has siphoned the diesel out of my 2013 SLK. It seems crazy that neither the fuel flap and fuel cap are not locked making the car an easy target for fuel thieves.

Is there anyway of making this secure or is there an aftermarket lockable fuel cap available?

Thanks

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,403 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Where did they take the fuel from? Sounds like the filler cap?

If so, at least it is not a new fuel tank, like some.

Small comfort, but hopefully our members will have suggestion as to which caps they have used.

·
Founding Member 2006
115,268 Posts
was the car locked?

r171 with car locked , locks fuel cap

The fuel filler flap is located on the right-hand
side of the vehicle towards the rear.
Locking/unlocking the vehicle with the
SmartKey automatically locks/unlocks the
fuel filler flap.

r172 does also, no?

The fuel filler flap is unlocked or locked automatically when you open or close the vehicle with the SmartKey or with KEYLESSGO.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK250CDI
602 Posts
The above is correct, the fuel flap should lock when the central locking is active, a small pin comes out to lock the flap in place.
There should also be an anti syphon device in the top section of pipe heading into the fuel tank.
Sounds like the thief either got lucky or some of the above is not working or not there?

·
Administrator (Canada)
23,744 Posts
What Is an Anti-Siphon Valve in a Car?
There are actually two devices that can prevent you from siphoning gas from a car. The first is an anti-siphon screen. It is a mesh screen that prevents you from putting anything solid into the gas tank. This is typically located higher up in the fuel filler pipe.

The second device is a “rollover valve” located at the tank inlet. This valve is actually meant to keep gas from escaping the car in event of a rollover but it also prevents you from sticking a siphon hose in the tank – hence why it is often called the anti-siphon valve.

And can be bypassed by experienced thieves.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
686 Posts

·
*Registered
1,060 Posts
I am 100% positive there is a fuel door lock on my car. And it is a bit of a low ride for a person to undo covers and...
Still some 🤬🤬🤬 low lives have achieved that.
Are getting to Fast and Furious or Mad Max reality???

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
686 Posts
Someone was warning me about my catalytic converters. Good luck!

·
*Registered
2013 SLK250 CDi
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys, I have checked and the fuel flap definitely locks when the car is locked so it is working ok. Given that there is no damage around the fuel flap I can only surmise that they had some sort of electronic device to mimic the RFID of the key. I guess I'm lucky that the car is still there. Criminals, sadly, are more sophisticated these days and don't use screwdrivers and jemmies to commit car crime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts