Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first week with the SLK. We haven't yet got used to one another.

First, I spent two years in a Mini Cooper with a crappy 1st gear that juddered every now and again, resulting in me having to let the clutch out slower than normal. I've transferred muscle memory over to the SLK and she doesn't enjoy it and kangeroos every so often when I forget I'm not back in the Mini.

She is going in on Thursday to get what sounds like a wheel bearing, sorted. It's noisy and I haven't 'driven' her properly until it gets fixed. She needs a new wing mirror as the one on it is cracked. I can't open the oil cap but from what I read these are a bugger to get off. There's a shed ton of oil down the front of the engine, looks like it's been there for a while. That will be cleaned up so I can see whats going on.
Badges have been stuck on the dash, need to get shot of those. Interior paint needs a touch up, lights here and there on the dash need replacing. Gear knob require replacing and with her being a special edition, it's a special edition gear knob which are like hens teeth by the looks of things.

Drain holes will be checked to make sure they are clean and working as they should be. A new air filter (original one not a pipercross or such like), cabin filter replaced to hopefully help with the windows misting up a bit and just as a general maintainance thing.

Kompressor oil check, hydraulic oil check and roof seals cleaned and oiled/greased. Screen water nozzle is blocked on one side, need to sort that. High beam flash not working on the stalk. Boot light needs sealing to prevent water ingress. Paint work needs a good cut and polish to bring it back to life.

So some work to do, however, none of the above are complaints. She is a 19 yr old motor, some of the things I was aware of when I bought her, some after this first week. I'll hopefully get her ready for summer when we can go cruising through the countryside with the roof down. :)

PS I won't do a 'the second week with the slk' post etc. :ROFLMAO: :unsure::unsure::unsure::rolleyes::sneaky:

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a small tip on the windscreen washer nozzle. I would suggest checking the washer bottle when you get around to it. Mine had quite a lot of mould/algae floating around in it that was blocking my nozzles (and they aren't cheap).
[/QUOT
How much is algae down under then? 🤪

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
How much is algae down under then? 🤪
Same as UK.

If car stands for a good while, or just topped up with water, or different screen washes react and cause particulates...washers, especially jets, may block.

Buying a car from a dealer? Wonder how long it has sat without the screen wash being used.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not cheap then.

The advert had only been up a few weeks when I saw it, apparently.

I've got a can of compressed air. I will give that a go on it first.

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,149 Posts
Not cheap then.

The advert had only been up a few weeks when I saw it, apparently.

I've got a can of compressed air. I will give that a go on it first.
Push a sewing needle or pin into the holes as well (y)

Whilst you're in that area, you should be thinking of taking the wiper arms and windscreen scuttle off in order to gain access to the front drains - should be done as part of a maintenance program but often gets ignored which usually ends up with consequences :eek:

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,932 Posts
Whilst you're in that area, you should be thinking of taking the wiper arms and windscreen scuttle off in order to gain access to the front drains - should be done as part of a maintenance program but often gets ignored which usually ends up with consequences :eek:
Isn't a special "puller" required to get the arms off? I seem to remember other members having an awful time getting them off.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Push a sewing needle or pin into the holes as well (y)

Yes that's on the list too. I actually thought that wouldn't need to be taken off so thanks fopr letting me know.

Isn't a special "puller" required to get the arms off? I seem to remember other members having an awful time getting them off.
To get the wiper arms off?

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I remember from past posts. If you don't, all the better (y) It may have been a case of the arms being "frozen" ie rusted to the posts and so very difficult to remove.
Ahh good to know too cheers.

On a side note, I had a look for some interior paint to sort out those bits of the plasti-paint that have scuffed. I got in touch with a place in Germany to query about getting some and was given a link to this. I nearly choked on my sandwich when I saw it.

Watch Rectangle Font Sleeve Brand

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,932 Posts
Ahh good to know too cheers.

On a side note, I had a look for some interior paint to sort out those bits of the plasti-paint that have scuffed. I got in touch with a place in Germany to query about getting some and was given a link to this. I nearly choked on my sandwich when I saw it.

View attachment 608650
Brexit (y)

That's the "we don't want to ship it to you BUT if you're willing to pay, we will" price :eek:🤣🤣

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Brexit (y)

That's the "we don't want to ship it to you BUT if you're willing to pay, we will" price :eek:🤣🤣
Brex** more like (n).

Yes, it did shock me when I saw that. On a positive note, I found a good price on a wing mirror after recovering from that pricey figure, to replace the one with a crack in it, so all good in the end. (y):D

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
721 Posts
The price is very little more than they charge for the product within the EU. If you look back at previous threads, it would seem they are not keen on shipping to the UK anyway. There have also been issues with the colour of Anthracite , I seem to remember. No reason why you can't get it matched locally I would think.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I wait with bated breath, she is in for a check up on the possible wheel bearing issue.

I was chatting to the chaps at my place of work who repair the trucks we use, they had a look at her and mentioned it would be worthwhile replacing the belts as they are starting to crack so I've asked them to do that too.

I would have replaced myself but as she is in the garage....

·
*Registered
2003 SLK200
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Belts often get overlooked. Cheap part, simple for the home mech.

Disastrous if ignored.
Yes, I've had a look at some info on changing them and it looks straight forward enough.

Garage can't do them (it was a last minute request) however, the good news is it wasn't a wheel bearing.

It was.......drum roll..........a defective tyre.

·
*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
721 Posts
Don't forget the tensioners. And if you are doing it yourself, don't follow some of the clowns on YouTube who try to do it with the fan in situ.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts