Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 months ago, I moved from Hawaii to Maryland. In Hawaii, I ran my SLK55 through three SCCA autocross seasons and several years before the SLK55 in other cars. Never had a track in Hawaii so I never had a track day before. This past weekend, I did a two-day event at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit.

The SLK55 was brilliant on track. My car is lowered on Eibach springs and sitting on Enkei PF01 wheels with 245/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The tires held up great through a total of 4 hours of track time over two days. I also used my set of Porterfield R4S brake pads which are street/autocross pads that held up just fine on the track with fresh Motul RBF600 fluid.

By the start of the second day, my instructor cleared me to run solo and I was approved to sign up for faster run groups for following events. I will be doing another two-day track event at Virginia International Raceway on the 30th and 31st.

GoPro Video here: Click for Video

Some misc. pictures:

Chasing down a Porsche on semi-slicks

Then ahead of him one lap later

On the Karussell - a replica of the Nurburgring karussell

Chasing a friend in an Audi RS5

143 total photos here: Album Link

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
124 Posts
Fantastic videos and driving.

That replica Karussell looks awesome, but seems a lot smoother and nicer to drive on than the real thing. :grin: My back is still suffering.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,535 Posts
Reactions: DAVIETHESCAFF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome videos, thanks for sharing! I just got my '09 SLK55 5 weeks ago and tried her out on the track this past Monday. I'll take all the advise I can get.:smile:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Awesome, thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
725 Posts
I loved going to the track, miss those days

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,816 Posts
this past weekend we bumped into a local autocross... great fun to watch. all sorts of cars - everything from Miatas (from race prep to tired first gen models), mom's corolla, dads A6 (I kid you not, newish..), come college kids with overgrown karts with both gas and electric motors, a Cobra replica, 70s/80s GM F bodies (sad showings..), BRZs seem popular...

So questions of the day -
anyone autocross a 171?
a 171/350?
opinions on what sort of abuse that would be on the trans (7G)?

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this past weekend we bumped into a local autocross... great fun to watch. all sorts of cars - everything from Miatas (from race prep to tired first gen models), mom's corolla, dads A6 (I kid you not, newish..), come college kids with overgrown karts with both gas and electric motors, a Cobra replica, 70s/80s GM F bodies (sad showings..), BRZs seem popular...

So questions of the day -
anyone autocross a 171?
a 171/350?
opinions on what sort of abuse that would be on the trans (7G)?
I autocrossed both my SLK280 and SLK55. The trans doesn't get abused at an autocross. It's usually 1st > 2nd gear and stays there. Our cars are capable, albeit heavier than most of the competition. I've had several top 5 overall finishes in my region (with my '55 on Hankook slicks)

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was one of the last few sets floating around on eBay. I've since taken them off the car and replaced them with BC Racing Coilovers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That looks like an awful lot of fun :grin:

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd be very interested in the springs - should they fit a UK car.

Would you be wiling to sell?
Unfortunately the front springs are still mounted to the strut, so I would need to get a hold of a mcpherson strut spring compressor in order to free the springs. Probably more trouble than it's worth for me.

I am also living in a temporary location (2 year MBA program) so I don't have my OEM springs near me to replace them if something were to happen to my coilovers and I needed to revert.

·
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reactions: Pulse
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.