Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. Well my big trip is almost ready to go! The wife and I are flying Hamburg on Sunday and will start SLK shopping. First stop is to Lubeck as there is a really nice looking facelift silver 230k, but has no radio and I wonder if that may be a problem. Then there are a few more going down towards Essen, then a few more towards Munich............
We may have to lessen our big tour plan a bit as work as become increasingly busy at home, but still shooting for Southern Spain.
I'd like to say on how appreciative I am with SLK World in all the info and guidance it has given. Heck I know all about Gummi Pledge, K40,PSE, rattling tops, repairing seat heaters and hydrolic pumps etc. I could go on and on.
And last but definitely not least a big thanks to SLK'er, MUZU who helped me get this whole ball rolling with all his advice and guidance. I owe you a beer buddy! Will keep you posted when I can!

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
After you get down to the Essen area have a little stopover in Wetter; as you come in to town find the ‘Bergstrasse’ follow to the end and make a right turn on to ’Am Waldrand’; take pictures, and if anyone ask, tell them that Arno send his regards :)

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
There used to be a great used car (run by private sellers) in the east end of Hamburg...I believe on Saturdays. Google should find it for you.

As a former resident of HH, it's a great city and I hope you get a chance to see some of it. Shoot me a pm if you want some directions to some nice restaurants and sites to see....granted SLK shopping IS the goal! Best of luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part 1
Hi! Back in Finland with my 2000 facelift SLK 230k! While I planned this buying trip with detail, having a long list of choices, I bought the first one I saw. It was my first choice. No crashes, full service history and driven under 100k. The dealership was very cooperative and I don't think I would suceeded as well with a private seller.
Then it was time to find out what kind of car I bought. Due to a increasing work load, our vacation was cut short, but we managed to tour Austria, Switzerland, France and then back to Travelmunde for the ferry to Finland. First the pre bought 170 roadster bags fitted perfectly, the lap top behind the wife's seat etc. Yes people, like in a army mission I had this all planned out.
And the car worked flawlessly!!!! No problems whatsoever. On the first day driving south I got it up to 180kph. several times, cruising at about 150 and it seemed that the faster I was going, the more stable it felt. I realize this is a 10 year old car so I am being gentle with it, yet it flies! My seat was so comfortable. I hardly moved at all. It felt great. The wife said the seat was a little hard but got used to it after the first day.
We prefer the smaller towns instead of the big cities, so everyday in the afternoon we toured the smaller country roads finding hotels and there the SLK felt a little big and heavy as comparison to a MX-5 for eg., but no problem as it has a sort of elegance feel that way and I was in heaven.
The weather was cold for the first few days, 10c and we didn't put the top down. On the third day when the temp hit 15c for the first time, down it came and WOW! It was more than I expected. But it wasn't such a successful day.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Great to hear you found a car you love, and that you've been able to "learn" it driving on the roads it was designed for. Here's to hoping for warm weather, cloudless skys, and no traffic!!

(Oh, and welcome to the forum from London via Heathslow!)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations Mattlil200 :tu:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks friends!
Part 2
The reason I said unsuccessful was because when the temperature reached 15c, we put the top down. It was great, but the problem was that we were in Switzerland and the country if full of tunnels cutting through the mountains. Some were even 15k's long. With the top down the noise was deafening. It didn't bother me too much, but it did bother the Mrs. I predicted this and we had earplugs, but they were neatly packed away in the trunk....... And the traffic was heavy too. Next time we had our earplugs and no problem, and it started getting really warm, about 25c.
We discussed at getting a Windrestrictor because at hight speeds there is some wind buffering with the mesh screen.
***BIG TIP*** If this hasn't been discussed in the forum before, I highly recommend musician's ear plugs! They filter out all of the loud noises and yet you can hear a conversation. I always left mine on when I was at a gas station. The better musician's ear plugs even have different sized tubes available so you can dial in what you want to hear. Also very comfortable. Available at any music store.
We did 300ks with the top down that day and after that took it down on special occasions. One day we were passing and were repassed by a Black 171 with a little old lady driving. She didn't have a Windrestrictor or a Mesh Screen, but looked very comfortable and with us she
ome in Finland and in the final stages of registering the 170. The weather has been great and every night I'm out cruising..... This machine is dignified and elegant and I'm now wondering if I should garage it and take it out when its right and not for daily transportation. It's a little long in the tooth and maybe its better it spends it's elder years a little easier. I don't know. Anyway, its shaping up to be a great summer!

p.s. I was always waiting for the perfect opportunity to take a pic and....... Here is a pic my wife took.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Matt...sounds like a great experience! How many km's total? Feel free to email us with all the details re:towns you visited etc. Is foto 1 above Garmisch?

foto 2 above reminds me of the old motorcycle poster with the smiling rider, his teeth covered in bugs! The car is being loved and enjoyed - nothing wrong with that at all. It's found a good home, and someone to really enjoy it. Just give her a bath and polish.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Matt!

I nearly missed the pics! Haven't been to the forums for a while but quickly passing the front page.

It all sounds great, you got everything to go right! Brilliant! I am glad for you. And I do like the wheels! They are just right.

I'll have to see if I can find more pics from the trip elsewhere...? ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Muzu! Your help made everything work! More pics can be found on facebook. I've now had 6000 trouble free k's and am planning a August trip. Except for a cold Juhanuus, we've had great driving weather. Are you heading out to Finland this summer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts