Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm facing a strange persistent problem, my car has been in about 5 shops, for over 1 and a half months now.

My car: a 2002 SLK 200 Kompressor

I parked it one evening and when I tried to start it, the engine started for like a second then stopped suddenly, afterwards I couldn't start the car at all and I got an "Start Error" on the board computer.

What I've tried:

1. Tried to use the spare key
2. Checked the battery (varta, 1 year old), although it seemed to give the full voltage (I think it was 12V)
3. Changed the electronic motor
4. Checked the wiring of the entire ignition, everything looks intact and perfect, never been opened before
5.I tried to pull the car with another to force it to start, it started and after that I was able to start it using the key every time. I left it for about 15 minutes then tried to start it again, same problem.
6. The guys at the last shop tried to program the computer but it doesn't respond and they don't know what component is causing the problem.
7. The guys from the shop found a kit ignition (keys, ignition coil, modulator, computer) from an SLK 230, they tried to install the SLK200 software on it but they couldn't

The car is in a very good condition, 50,000 km, and has never been tampered with, I'm losing my mind here.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,610 Posts
battery...seemed to give full charge? I would definately have the battery fully checked.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
In and out of 5 shops and no one was able to diagnose it? Wasn't there a post earlier about a crankshaft sensor going bad? I would stop messing with the every day mechanic and bring it into a real dealership. But that's just me. I hope others have more suggestions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were not day to day mechanics, they were electricians with a good reputation, the last shop was known through Romania, they specialize in these things and they have a lab just for programming electronics

Going to the dealership in Romania is a bad thing to do, they have a horrible reputation, they will change everything and they will change parts on the car with older ones and steal parts which I won't notice, then top it off with a 2000 Euro bill.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dont muck about find someone with a good diagnostic machine and pull some codes off it .

One thing i would elliminate is the CPS first.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said :)

Old Alfa I had some time ago had same symptoms. Was CPS. Nasty to change on that car - hidden between block and firewall. Barely room to get a finger in there, let alone a hand full of spanner.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts

Old Alfa I had some time ago had same symptoms. Was CPS. Nasty to change on that car - hidden between block and firewall. Barely room to get a finger in there, let alone a hand full of spanner.
Ive done many V6 mercs im lucky i have small hands as such . :tu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Actually I've cleaned that sensor at the beginning just to be sure, didn't pay too much attention to it.

Just to be sure we have the same symptoms, the car doesn't even try to start right? But it can be started when dragged by another car?

Thanks

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
Actually I've cleaned that sensor at the beginning just to be sure, didn't pay too much attention to it.

Just to be sure we have the same symptoms, the car doesn't even try to start right? But it can be started when dragged by another car?

Thanks
Cleaning the sensor wont acomplish anything !

Its internal that is breaking down !

That is it it's the sensor .

So your saying the engine turns over but will not fire up.??

Yes .

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
Clicking noise as in coming from starter motor ???

Get someone to listen to stater motor / solenoid

If clicking noise is coming from that .
Sounds like faulty starter motor .

Need to get engine turning over effieciently first .

Thats if its the noise is coming from starter . :tu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've already changed the electric motor. Besides, the computer of the car is not responding to the tester.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
You do get faulty new starter motors !

So noise not coming from starter motor then . ?

I take it you mean the diagnostic reader is not pulling codes off the car ??

Yes

·
Registered
734 Posts

Thanks
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was cranking and cutting out after a while and eventually cranking but failing to start. Must have got two threads confused.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will continue to post about this subject, hopefully it will help others who will be in my situation

I changed the immobilizer, it was taken off an A-Class and it was successfully programmed with the key, the only problem is that the car's computer doesn't respond to it and doesn't start the engine.

after all I think I will remove the immobilizer all together until I find one specially for my model.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Instead of trying to diagnose it yourself at this point, are you able to take it to the dealer and let them run a full diagnostic on it?
Chicky, the OP doesn't want to take the car to his local MB dealer because they have a bad reputation for fitting old parts, even stealing newish parts and replacing with old AND being very expensive.

I think I can empathise with him in not wanting to go near them :)

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts

Thanks
You say you can get it running by dragging it by another car, is this correct. If so it sounds more like you are not getting enough power to the starter or bad starter as it will no start using the key and will run via what you call dragging by another car.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Chicky, the OP doesn't want to take the car to his local MB dealer because they have a bad reputation for fitting old parts, even stealing newish parts and replacing with old AND being very expensive.

I think I can empathise with him in not wanting to go near them :)
ahhhhhh now I understand, thanks ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.