Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My apologies, but need help

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  AZ SLK 
#1 ·
First off, let me preface this post by saying that I hate being the kind of user that signs up and starts spamming questions, but unfortunately I haven't found the answer in any of the threads I've searched and I'm a little screwed at the moment.

A little back story:
I just bought my 08 slk 280 (black on black) less than a week ago, from a non mercedes dealership. It only came with one key, with the dealer saying they would pay for another key as part of the sale of the car. However, I was unable to make it to the mercedes dealership this week to get it ordered.

Fast forward to now:
I decided to go to my parents farm (200 miles from the nearest mercedes dealership) this weekend, and I was proudly showing them my new purchase. While I had locked the car out of habit, I popped the trunk to toss something in it, and closed the trunk. Turns out I had tossed my only set of keys in the trunk as well. I call mercedes roadside assistance, turns out it had expired in february, but they authorized a someone to come out and open the passenger compartment so I could pop my trunk.
As I'm sure you all know, there is no release for the trunk in the passenger compartment, so that was kind of useless. However, after he left, he phoned me and suggested I try taking the console panel and touching the unlock button terminals with the positive on the battery for a second to kick the lock mechanism and unlock my trunk.

My question is, would that actually work? Since I am literally hours away from a dealership and have no spare, I'm a little out of options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and again, sorry for the "I'm a newbie and need help" post

P.S. I hope you enjoyed my story.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

#3 ·
you said they opened the passenger door correct? can you then not use the console lock unlock button?

#4 ·
page 103 from owners manual

You can lock or unlock the doors and the
trunk from the inside using the central
locking or unlocking switch. This can be
useful, for example, if you want to lock the
vehicle before starting to drive.

#6 ·
Jon,

i have been in pm mode with him for 30 minutes. a slim jim got him in but alarm went off. don't know if they had time to pop the hood or hit the unlock button. will keep this thread updated.

#9 ·
he afraid it would make car inoperable and then have to tow anyway

#8 ·
update: suggested locksmith/local mb repair

he says town is small so don't know if he would trust anyone locally to unlock.

other choice to tow it to mb

suggested teleaid /mbrace enrollment but that might not be wotht the $ to enroll just to unlock

standby

#10 ·
here was my last thought to him:

here's a thought. if you locked yourself in your car, you would be in the same position you are in now except you are on the outside

therefore, if you could reach the lock,unlock button on the dash, you could unlock the car/trunk and be happy

#11 ·
Success!!!!!!!

his reply:

You sir, are an absolute genius. every time I tried before the doors were open and the alarm was going off. I let the alarm turn off and kept both doors closed and it worked. Thank you so much!

#13 ·
We are glad you are here!! now go and enjoy your car and this forum of great and helpful people!

#18 ·
or pull that valet key out of the fob and use it as a spare.

Thanks everyone! I learn something new everyday on the forum!

#19 ·
Not sure that that works. I can't test this because my car is sitting in the pouring rain as part of a scientific experiment to test the water-tightness of Spyder headlights. :D

I seem to remember though that if you take the metal valet key out, that the rest of the key no longer unlocks the storage compartments, like the glove box.

#20 ·
that is right and not the trunk but at least he could drive it to mb instead of having it towed!

#22 ·
Pretty good contribution if I must say so for a first post. I'm sure this'll be used hundreds of times.

Are you saying:

1) When the alarm is sounding the central lock button doesn't unlock the trunk, glove box, center console, or gas tank?
2) When the metal portion is removed, the unlock button on the key unlocks the doors but not the trunk, glove box, center console, and gas tank?

#23 ·
1. You have to make sure the doors are closed n the alarm has stopped
2. Correct. So valets can steal your car but not your stuff

#25 ·
Welcome from Indy...and a nice intro to the knowledgeable people on SLKW!

Now get that second key asap :biglaugh:

Reactions: Der Flieger
#26 ·
yes, now that I'm back in the city I plan on going first thing tomorrow. As far as my experience with the SLK, I'm not letting this ruin my fun, I tend to not let this kind of stuff bug me, and since I've been driving a company van for the past 2 years, this is a much appreciated upgrade! (before that was a RX-8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.