Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I want to say if I hadn't seen Turdo2's 4.3 Litre swap on this forum I never would have dreamed of putting a V8 in my R170 SLK. So thank you Turdo2 and all contributors who go through the bother of documenting their escapades.

Now that that's out of the way, it is time to introduce my 5 litre V8 swap.
I have a 1997 230 SLK with only 85,000 miles. It's a very original car, perfect for messing with. I have purchased a 2000 W220 S500 which will be my donor car. I paid good money for it so I'm damn well invested in the project at this stage! It has 150,000 miles (verified) from new. I had a choice of a 2000 S500 150K miles with AMG alloys, or a 2001 S500 for the same price with the same miles. I chose the one with the AMG alloys (easy choice).

I am forever the optimist, so I have scheduled 3-6 months for this build instead of the 6 to 12 months I believe it should take me. I also hope to retain all MB ECU's and wiring. At the moment the plan of action is to splice (dump) the wiring loom from the S500 into the R170 chassis, retaining all original elements of the body loom from the R170, and only connecting wires from one harness to another where absolutely necessary. This will mean I have twice the ECU's and DAS's to go wrong on me, but I have faith in MB. And Megasquirt. There's always Megasquirt :)

By the time I am ready to start transplanting the V8, I will have the S500 loom functioning as a bare-bones standalone system, ready to be transplanted anywhere it will fit

At the time of writing, I have:

1. M113 V8 with loom, transmission and diff running and driving.
  2. R170 230 SLK donor car
  3. W208 CLK430 engine rubber mounts (new) and motor mount brackets (2nd hand)
  4. Turdo2's fine account of what worked for him
  5. A serious want for a V8 Mercedes
I believe I have sourced the remaining

1. Steering rack from a W210 E240
  2. Exhaust from that same W210 E240.
Only problem is, I have to take the whole W210 E240!

Status update, tonight I started stripping the wiring loom out of the S500, checking the car will still start and run each step of the dismantling. I'm basically just unplugging stuff till the engine stops running, then connecting up the last thing that made it stop and moving on to the next item... But it works. The S500 wiring loom is not half as daunting as I thought it would be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
I thought about doing the whole harness swap as well, but I couldn't feasibly find a running donor car to pull it from. It will add a few more challenges such as adding the electronic ignition and also the electronic shift module which is a part of the CAN Bus network. If I was you, before pulling that all from the donor car, I would see how much of that interior harness can be cut off before the car stops running. thin it out, that is. It will also give us an idea of what these networks really need to operate just the engine.

There is gentleman who swapped a V12 into his R107 (560SL) and he did the complete harness swap as well - someone linked to his thread somewhere in my 430 swap thread.

do you have a welder and all the proper cutting accessories??

and - if you have any questions, just speak up! Good luck and Have fun with it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought about doing the whole harness swap as well, but I couldn't feasibly find a running donor car to pull it from. It will add a few more challenges such as adding the electronic ignition and also the electronic shift module which is a part of the CAN Bus network. If I was you, before pulling that all from the donor car, I would see how much of that interior harness can be cut off before the car stops running. thin it out, that is. It will also give us an idea of what these networks really need to operate just the engine.

There is gentleman who swapped a V12 into his R107 (560SL) and he did the complete harness swap as well - someone linked to his thread somewhere in my 430 swap thread.

do you have a welder and all the proper cutting accessories??

and - if you have any questions, just speak up! Good luck and Have fun with it!
You mean one of these? (See pic in next post)

Hats off to both you guys. I did stuff like this years ago but it was so much easier in the pre-computer era.
To the contrary, my friend, these day electronics takes care of itself (we will see if i feel the same when I'm lost in a mess of wiring, sobbing softly)

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
and I thought I was adventurous in my youth

when my Dad and I ( read Dad) mounted a 1500cc air-cooled VW in my 1200cc recipient car....:grin:
Have either of you two adventurous lads read Frankenstein?

The best of luck Dallara. I wish I had more to offer than just good wishes. I can post photos of some of my tools if that would help...

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,652 Posts
Begorrah lad! For under £14k you could have had my pristine '06 R171 SLK 55 AMG

On the road, ready to roll, zero time invested, no insurance hassles, drive it out the door.

You will need new front springs I think to support the extra front end weight, bigger brakes?

But kudos to you!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
WTF?

OK, see attached file.
oh my, seeing that CLK320 exhaust gave me happy thoughts. that's precisely the routing that will be needed on ours, due to there not being any room on the left side of the transmission for exhaust. but plenty of room on the right.

CLK has a steering box though, not rack and pinion, so that down pipe may not fit around the steering linkage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Begorrah lad! For under £14k you could have had my pristine '06 R171 SLK 55 AMG

On the road, ready to roll, zero time invested, no insurance hassles, drive it out the door.

You will need new front springs I think to support the extra front end weight, bigger brakes?

But kudos to you!
@nimbusgb: That's almost €16,000, instead I have bought my SLK, had a full respray bumper to bumper, bought a S500 doner car, will buy an E240 2nd doner car, and will (hopefully) put the whole frankenstein thing together for under a quarter of that. That's if I don't sell the amg alloys, 230 kompressor engine, leather interior x2 etc. that I have left over. If I had that money I wouldn't have the good sense to put it in 1 car. I'm afraid I'd build another hot rod.
@Elmer Fudd: All good wishes graciously appreciated :)

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,652 Posts
@nimbusgb: That's almost €16,000, instead I have bought my SLK, had a full respray bumper to bumper, bought a S500 doner car, will buy an E240 2nd doner car, and will (hopefully) put the whole frankenstein thing together for under a quarter of that. That's if I don't sell the amg alloys, 230 kompressor engine, leather interior x2 etc. that I have left over. If I had that money I wouldn't have the good sense to put it in 1 car. I'm afraid I'd build another hot rod.
@Elmer Fudd: All good wishes graciously appreciated :)
And your time is worth? Even at a conservative €40 an hour you are in for say 200 hours of work. That's getting on for €8000.

Plus the car has a very limited resale market.

just sayin'!

After all I bought a boat and spent the better part of €20k on fitting it out and perhaps 500 hours of work.

And an aircraft that needed rebuilding ( 250 hours on that )

So I'm just as much of a sucker :) :) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep it legit

I wonder will you still get classic car insurance with the customization?
I have trade insurance, so I'm insured on any car that is taxed and tested. Modifications are allowed for in the policy as it is a motor trade policy. I'm in the business of building hotrods for myself :) The car has always been, and will always be 100% above board. All components I will use are OEM Mercedes parts, and the car will be retested when all final assembled.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And your time is worth? Even at a conservative €40 an hour you are in for say 200 hours of work. That's getting on for €8000.

just sayin'!

After all I bought a boat and spent the better part of €20k on fitting it out and perhaps 500 hours of work.

Yeah, projects require time and money (at least for parts), and you can swing the balance one way or the other ... so how much is your time worth? Time is one thing we can't get more of.

I appreciate that there's satisfaction though when completing a job with your own hands.

Good luck @dallara! It'll be interesting to see your progress.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doing it right, or getting it done

just sayin'!

Glad to see you're as much of a project ***** as I am :)
You made 2 very valid points: time and money. Money is never an issue, as long as you have it..! My time for me, is something I cannot put a value on. I would not do this type of work for anybody for €40 an hour (well, maybe 50)
But I don't drink, dont smoke, fancy clothes or bling don't attract me, building hotrods is my 'thing'. Time and money should be of little if any concern for a project of this type. Obviously it has to get done, thats why I put a time frame on it. Obviously my budget for it is limited, thats why I cover my eyes so I dont see how much I spend on it :)
The way I see it, I want a V8 Mercedes. In Ireland that will cost you not far off €10,000, pretty much regardless of condition. Also it is very important for me for replacement parts to be fairly plentiful (I had a Daihatsu Charade Turbo before, parts were a nightmare) and they have to be cheap for replacement engines - because I will drive it the way I want to (in controlled conditions, on a private road and in accordance with the safe cross code, of course ;) )

Yeah, projects require time and money (at least for parts), and you can swing the balance one way or the other ... so how much is your time worth? Time is one thing we can't get more of.

I appreciate that there's satisfaction though when completing a job with your own hands.

Good luck @dallara! It'll be interesting to see your progress.
That satisfaction is better than any. I spent 7 years restoring my first classic, started at age 15, but the first time I drove it fully built - undescribable. Similar was when my first diy gas turbine reached 158,000 rpm - 2,666 revolutions a second - one big 'pointless' exercise - but more valuable to me than any material item I own. Thanks for the good luck wishes, they help :)

now you see @dallara, it's usually best to begin the build before posting about it.

I am curious to see your fabrication abilities ;)
Am I after screwing myself? Its good to put a framework in actual words for the success of the project, I find. I have built anything I have attempted so far, (being an imagination-less engineer, as you similarly put it ;) ) but I would LIKE to keep it all MB parts if I can. If not, my fabrication goes one of two ways: over-engineer the life out of it, or do the absolute bare minimum to get it done. So my engine swap will either be of good quality, or engine held in with rope and cable ties (I have done it), and running off an arduino bought for €2 :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for some pics

Here are pics of the brave doner car, with some stripping done in preparation of wiring loom removal. Notice the frost outside. It was about -4 degrees celsius. The only time I can take photos during the day is at the weekend, as its dark already when I get out of work.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts