Mercedes SLK World banner

441 - 444 of 444 Posts

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,594 Posts
Ah cheers didn't realise you ran 17" Wheels, yeah that makes sense, should give you more Traction :)

·
2,594 Posts
Hi Aaron,

Here's the pics I promised you ..................

Left Bank ....

Right Bank ....

The V8 Manifolds will make good Turbo Manifolds, just cut the Flanges off and extend / curve etc to where you want the Turbo's then weld on a suitable Flange for the Tubby's ;)
Heat Shield over the top of the Alternator and PAS Pump and bingo, instant V8 TT :)

HTH,

·
2,594 Posts
HOW TO ME2.0

Hi Aaron,

Here is the transcript conversation with my ECU Guru Buddy in CA :-

ECU Guru
Me

I've been reading over on the SLK forum.... does that one guy who megasquirted his 5.4 have a ME2.0 ECU?

Yes his R170 is an early pre facelift car, it was a 4 Cylinder Supercharged, then he added V8.
I've never even had an early SLK 4 Cyl in the Workshop let alone looked at feasibility, how the ECU's look inside etc etc nor do I know whether the Traction etc would play nice with ME2.8 ;)
I dunno if you've done any work with ME2.0 and could shed some light ????

ME2.0 looks completely different to ME2.8. Wiring connector are different, bunch of things are different on the inside.
Biggest thing is that it does not have a small 8 legged eeprom to wipe the immobilizer.

Grabbed this picture of the ECU from the internet. As you can see, major difference from ME2.0 and ME2.8.

The big fat MCU in the middle, to the left of the green transistor in the center, with a upside down Motorola logo? That's the immobilizer and coding eeprom. I've done enough of these ECU's to be rather comfortable with it, but it is a bear. You'd need Xprog to read the MCU, and then soldering it back on is fiddly as balls. Never liked doing this, and I doubt I ever will....but I can do it.

Downside: these ECU use the hhtwin on the laptop, not the DAS/Xentry that we're familiar with....so coding options are....shall we say, non-existent. MB has a guide on how to code it in the WIS, but these guide sucks. I don't know if its because hhtwin is buggy as heck, or because laptop is emulating httwin, or whatever, but coding ME2.0 is next to impossible. You'd need an actual, genuine hhtwin like this:

To even dream about possibly coding the ECU. I am looking for one of these, actually. But these are SO hard to find, and the few that come on sale are sold at a higher price than the original SDS C4 units! People who have these know exactly what they have, and that's infuritating.

The upshot? ME2.0 is compatible with the traction control or whatnot, because all prefacelift cars used the same ESP module, and all post facelift cars used a different ESP module. So you can only mix and match any ME2.0 ECU and won't have any CANBUS errors....

....unless the car is a R170, as we found out, the key starting issue is a rather big one.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, what to do when the car in question is a R170 and needs a R170 specific ECU?

Well that's easy. Add the mosfets like we did on the ME2.8, and then swap the intel 29F400 eeprom at the top middle, slightly to the left from a 5.4 ECU car. That's it.

ME2.0 is very very primitive compared to 2.8, so like I said, mix and match works perfect.

I know entirely too much about ME2.0 because my E36 AMG uses ME2.0, and I want to convert that car to a manual. But problem is the coding the ECU, and because ME2.0 is so primitive, I have to look for an actual ME2.0 ECU out of a manual car to even have an idea of what to transfer over to enable the manual coding....because remember, hhtwin is so goddamn buggy.

I have about 4 or 5 customers with E55 swaps on ME 2.0 and they're waiting for me to develop a manual coding on the ME2.0 so I can go and program their car so the CEL shuts off. Plus my own car, obviously.

This is why I was SO thrilled when I found a 2001 E55, because it's on ME2.8 and absurdly easy to code for manual compared to ME2.0.

So, basically it can be done, but as I suspected, ME2.0 will play nice with his Traction but ME2.8 wouldn't.

Also, was there a 5.4 ECU in ME2.0 Version ?

Yes there is a 5.4 ECU -- all 1998-2000 E55's are ME2.0. So you can swap the 29F400 from 5.4 ME2.0 to the SLK ME2.0 ECU.

Basically W210 has ME2.0 ECU for all vehicles 2000 or older, ME2.8 for all 2001 or newer.

Same thing with W220 -- I believe from 1999 to 2001 are ME2.0, very early 2002 up to 2006 are all 2.8.

I can build up his ECU for...lets say $400 or so. I agree it's easier to get a V6 (Post Facelift ME2.8) R170 and go from there, but ME2.0 is not going to be "that" difficult, but because it's early gen he'll run into SOME issues.

Hopefully he kept the original wiring harnesses intact, as that's going to complicate the process if not.

He couldn't get the Auto to work out, now has 6 speed Manual ;) He will have to get Wiring sorted as IIRC he still has a Shifter module hidden somewhere and rigged into P or N to enable it to start

If he has a manual on it now, then I'm not sure I can do it perfectly -- remember I'm still looking for a manual ME2.0 to transfer the coding to make the ECU coded for manual, otherwise it'll complain because of no TCM, or CEL will be on because the conductor plate isn't plugged in, etc etc.

I mean, I can do it, but it won't be "perfect" -- so long he knows to expect that.....

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

So, basically Aaron, that guy knows a whole heap more about your particular ME 2.0 case than I do as he's done it on his own and his Customers Cars.

You will need to slightly modify a stock loom for your Car, just to add the Clutch Switch in, the Starter Circuit is different from Manual to Auto, but it's very easy, here is the Manual / Auto Starter Circuit ..............

Not Rocket Science ;) very do-able, but not as "easy" :ROFLMAO: as an ME2.8 V6 Car ;)

I wouldn't want to do it because of the multi legged Chip Swaps, I'm not at that Skill level stage yet, but my buddy does this stuff all day long for a living ;)

Tell me what you think, and I can put you in touch with the Guy if needs be ;)

HTH,

You can likely sell on your Megasquirt for that sort of $$$ once your Car is all hunky dory ;)

·
Registered LOOKING
16 Posts
I have a set of OEM NA55 exhaust manifolds if anyone is interested.
Longtube headers going in now. and have a set of custom machined OBX SS trunk style headers that will be available soon.
Keep up the good work gents

441 - 444 of 444 Posts