Mercedes SLK World banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Aarons car was originally a 4 Cylinder ME2.0 Car, now with a 5.5 litre M113 V8, so that is why his best choice is the ME2.0 ML55 ECU with Julie, but he will still need to Version Code a lot of stuff to avoid Fault Codes and possibly limp modes, and ensure everything talks via CAN.

My Car is an M112 V6 SLK 320 which is ME2.8, Electronic Pedal, etc etc, and it is getting the Engine and then after testing and possibly debugging, later on the Trans all from a 2001 W220 S500 M113V8, and I will likely be using the 2.82 Ratio Diff from a C Class CDI with the V8 Trans and TCU combo.

No, I don't use any Dongle with SDS, and SDS will not change VIN unless the ECU is Virginised first, or Brand New.

What I will do is use my Programmer (KTag), to Clone the ME2.8 EEPROM Data from the V6 ECU to the V8 one, and the R170's VIN will then follow, as it is stored in the EEPROM.

Then I will use SDS to Version Code all the stuff from the W220 ECU that has different Codings, stuff like EIS from "Present" to "Not Present", Cooling Fan from whatever to whatever, etc etc.

That is exactly how the likes of Osterle and other MB Tuners do this kind of thing, although some may actually start with a Brand New ECU ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

Ah I see Ktag as the cloning tool.

Thanks for that bit of info.
Im installing a supercharger on a M113 55 and placing an ECU master piggyback unit for tuning.
Plan B is E55 ECU and I already have a harness handy.
Much goodness going on here when it comes to modding Benz.

Keep it up Turdo,Dave

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi @MKCLK1 ,

I don't want to de rail Aarons thread, but you don't need to do all that, just use existing ECU and use SDS to change the Engine Type to "M113 E55K" in the Version Coding, lines 0150 to 0159, which is right after the 4 x Dynamic Wheel Circumference Codings and the Vehicle Model Coding, so 6th block down .....................

simples :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Hi Aaron @Turdo2 ,

Is your ML55 ECU from a Manual Trans vehicle ?

That will make it a whole lot easier for you :smile:

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, I'm sure you probably know most of this:-

Initially in Version Codings print screenshots of all of them, then read through them a few times before altering, you will get a feel for stuff that doesn't agree with what's fitted to your Car ;)

From my ME2.8, (not certain that ME2.0 will have the same options) ...................

Fan wattage / make

Dynamic Wheel circumference

EIS or not

Speedtronic (cruise control or not)

O2 Sensors downstream of TWC (Cat) switch 'em off if you have deleted Cats ;)

Canister Purge type

All Wheel Drive or not

Speed Limiter

Transmission (Auto or Manual)

Axle ratio

Idle speed correction in P/N

Idle speed correction in D

That list is not exhaustive, there may be other stuff to set, but it's a good starting point :tu:

HTH, Cheers Dave
The ECU doesn't care about transmission.. There's a guy here in the states that swapped the 6 speed into his CLK430. just left the shifter module in P and went on his way. Mine had to be left in P because otherwise the throttle would be less responsive. now I just have a mechanical throttle so it doesn't matter.. obviously will go back to electric when I get the factory ECU in.

BTW>> just got a note from DHL saying Julie is in Wichita Ks.. but something is holding it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Indeed no intention of jacking Aaron thread its just we are working in a subject that rarely appears in the forums.

Hope Julie satisfies.

Im going to pick up a boneyard ECU for practice hence easy to Brick.

Vote Xprog or Ktag Which has more use for these projects.

Cheers, M

·
Registered
15 Posts
PS:

I have a Bud who is putting the 6 speed into his ME 2.8 car. He is weary of some trans input shaft speed signal.
Perhaps it is not an input for ME 2.0

I did not believe it required but he insists on the input. Hmmm

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The ECU doesn't care about transmission.. There's a guy here in the states that swapped the 6 speed into his CLK430. just left the shifter module in P and went on his way. Mine had to be left in P because otherwise the throttle would be less responsive. now I just have a mechanical throttle so it doesn't matter.. obviously will go back to electric when I get the factory ECU in.

BTW>> just got a note from DHL saying Julie is in Wichita Ks.. but something is holding it up!
Hi Aaron,

Oh yes it does, that is why I mentioned the 3 Codings above, otherwise you have to mess about jury rigging Shifter Inputs etc.

Correct Version Coding is essential, or you will not get a decent result, things will have glitches or worse :wink:

You really have to get everything working as it should, then your car will really light up :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Indeed no intention of jacking Aaron thread its just we are working in a subject that rarely appears in the forums.

Hope Julie satisfies.

Im going to pick up a boneyard ECU for practice hence easy to Brick.

Vote Xprog or Ktag Which has more use for these projects.

Cheers, M
Hi,

Pointless Vote ;)

Like Diagnostic Machines, with Programmers, no one machine does all ........................

This is why I have so many machines.

In this instance XProg is better with ME2.0 but KTag is way easier and better with ME2.8 ......................

Horses for Courses, (good pun there) >:D

PS:

I have a Bud who is putting the 6 speed into his ME 2.8 car. He is weary of some trans input shaft speed signal.
Perhaps it is not an input for ME 2.0

I did not believe it required but he insists on the input. Hmmm
Is nobody listening to all the waffle I type :grin:

He needs to Version Code his ME ECU for a Manual Trans, it is only TCU that needs Turbine Speed Input, but ME will have other Problems if it is coded for Auto and actually has Manual :wink:

TCU, Shifter etc should be removed, and Coded off all the systems that refer to it, could well need Version Codings looking at in ESP etc etc as well as ME, I don't know that for sure, not really interested as I have no need, Mercedes do not release their Strategies so only trial and error would prove it !!

May also need to install and wire a Clutch switch, starter inhibit might need wiring tweak etc etc ;)

However, it does make sense to me if doing a Manual, which of course I am not :wink:

IMHO an Auto with Paddles and a decent shift kit is superior for loads of reasons, more so in a small light car >:D

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks much, Aaron and Dave for making things a bit clear in real time.

Info passed onto Bud sinks in or not oh well.

Ktag in the mail hope it has less trouble than Julie has seen.

Best, Mike

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Hi,

Pointless Vote ;)

Like Diagnostic Machines, with Programmers, no one machine does all ........................

This is why I have so many machines.

In this instance XProg is better with ME2.0 but KTag is way easier and better with ME2.8 ......................

Horses for Courses, (good pun there) >:D

Is nobody listening to all the waffle I type :grin:

He needs to Version Code his ME ECU for a Manual Trans, it is only TCU that needs Turbine Speed Input, but ME will have other Problems if it is coded for Auto and actually has Manual :wink:

TCU, Shifter etc should be removed, and Coded off all the systems that refer to it, could well need Version Codings looking at in ESP etc etc as well as ME, I don't know that for sure, not really interested as I have no need, Mercedes do not release their Strategies so only trial and error would prove it !!

May also need to install and wire a Clutch switch, starter inhibit might need wiring tweak etc etc ;)

However, it does make sense to me if doing a Manual, which of course I am not :wink:

IMHO an Auto with Paddles and a decent shift kit is superior for loads of reasons, more so in a small light car >:D

HTH, Cheers Dave
:laugh::laugh: Take it easy there, Dave! First of all, I dont think it's possible to program an ML55 with a manual transmission. If it was possible, everyone that has done these types of swaps would have been doing that. not saying it isn't possible, I just haven't seen that this system is THAT capable.

Second, it's absolutely NO BIG DEAL to leave the TCU in the car and make it think it's in Park.. that is what I have done since day 1 with this manual. It does not affect ESP or ABS or anything. Have a look back at my videos, you can see the warning triangle flashing away! The only affect I have seen is if you switch from P to D, it makes a slight change in the idle speed.

now, yes, it's not "factory finish".. but nothing about my car is anymore.

There's also no need for clutch switch as my starter works. (because my immobilizer still functions properly with the ECU)

as of right now, my only concern is what to do with O2 sensors. My cats have been gutted! perhaps there IS a version coding for that.

IMG_0999.jpg

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi Aaron,

Take some screenshots and post them up for the Version Codings in ML55 ME2.0, then I can tell you exactly without all my generalisations of it might need this it might need that etc............

It's un charted territory, and you can't go by what Joe Bloggs did to his Crossfire 10 years ago either, I'll bet some of the Joe Bloggs don't even know what Version Coding is :wink:

I would be very surprised if Manual was not a possibility even if no ML55's were ever built with it.

Like ME2.8, the ME2.0 Architecture will be similar to other ME2.0's which did have MT :wink

It's a Bosch at heart and Bosch are very good to hot rodders like that ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Hi Aaron,

Take some screenshots and post them up for the Version Codings in ML55 ME2.0, then I can tell you exactly without all my generalisations of it might need this it might need that etc............

It's un charted territory, and you can't go by what Joe Bloggs did to his Crossfire 10 years ago either, I'll bet some of the Joe Bloggs don't even know what Version Coding is :wink:

I would be very surprised if Manual was not a possibility even if no ML55's were ever built with it.

Like ME2.8, the ME2.0 Architecture will be similar to other ME2.0's which did have MT :wink

It's a Bosch at heart and Bosch are very good to hot rodders like that ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave
Dave, I'm wondering if we couldn't try and do some sort of video conference when I get it ready to code. You know your way around a lot better than me. Joe's Crossfire was also ME2.8.

Worst case scenario, if we can get it thinking it's at least an ML55, that will be good enough!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi Aaron, @Turdo2 ,

Yeah I have Skype if it still works by then, (big issues with my Server atm), Windows 10 has updated and it's proper awful right now, so much so that I have copied all my Business Files, Pictures, Docs etc etc across to another HDD today as I've had a major meltdown once before, and it isn't nice lol ;)

Be a lot easier to rebuild the HDD now if I have to re load Windows, I'm hoping it will sort itself with another update V soon ;)

Every other machine I have is Win 7 pro, updates turned off, most never go on internet, and they don't do this [email protected] >:D

Anyways yeah, gimme a shout nearer the time and I'll pm you my Skype details, then with Car hooked up we can spend an afternoon going through it all, or if you have Team Viewer on your SDS Lappy you could send me a TV password with Car plugged in and I can then directly look through all possibilities.

I will try and find time to look at my own Cars "other systems" before that, see how much Coding is actually in those Modules, I think most of your re coding will be in the ME, for a start you probably need to tell it it isn't 4WD :wink:

The next 2 weeks is gonna be hellish busy for me though, with 4 of Mels kids, and their respective families staying here for Mels Birthday end of this week, one family are arriving tomorrow so in all a total of 8 adults and at least 6 Grand Children could be 10 if the older teenagers come too, plus one Adult nephew too :surprise:

I've been building Flat Pack Bunk Beds all day for the young ones :(

Chow for now, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi, Aaron @Turdo2 ,

I have an update for you, see post # 139 in my V8 Conversion Thread here :- https://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r170/533795-slk-320-slk-500-daves-project-7.html#post4592092

I will be very interested to see what your ML55 ECU brings to the party, on your originally 4 Cylinder Car, as that one started as an ME2.0 :smile:

It will be interesting to know whether that makes it easy for you, and get rid of your old 4 Cyl ME2.0 (tandem unit) and fit the ML unit in it's place.

If it doesn't work out, (I think it will if it will Version Code correctly), but if it doesn't, the only other thing you can do really is to go install all the V6 wiring and controllers, everything that is different !! .................

OR

Stick with the stellar work you have already done and work out your final wrinkles from the Megasquirt system.

HTH, Cheers for now, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
I guess I have a small update. I replaced my CLK dual-fans with a single aftermarket 16" that I originally bought for my truck. My plan was to run the clutch fan on the engine, and also have this one as backup.

well unfortunately the clutch fan doesn't fit, it hits the crankshaft position sensor for megasquirt on the front of the engine. So I have only been running the 16" fan for most of this summer already. No issues. This engine cools very well!

The steering needs a little re-enforcing.. now that I have the proper fabrication tools, no big issue. It can all be done from the wheel well. I'll document it.

Honestly.. I have just been enjoying this car! and holy cow is it enjoyable! The clutch is still too sticky, and the throttle is extremely touchy.. but having a stock ECU in will help tremendously.

I keep wondering if I should go a step further.. maybe add a "K" to the back of it... but There is just no good way to do that unless I kept it megasquirt - and I'm just not willing to do that! I will start with an ME2.8 car if I ever want to go any further.

It's important to note that we should be proud that these kinds of projects can be accomplished HERE as a team, and not needing the help of expensive tuners.. Osterle and Crossfire people come to mind. Not saying that there wasn't some good outside help (Beckmann Technologies) but I think In general we have a pretty strong technical team and I'm proud to be a part of it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Honestly.. I have just been enjoying this car! and holy cow is it enjoyable! The clutch is still too sticky, and the throttle is extremely touchy.. but having a stock ECU in will help tremendously.

I keep wondering if I should go a step further.. maybe add a "K" to the back of it... but There is just no good way to do that unless I kept it megasquirt - and I'm just not willing to do that! I will start with an ME2.8 car if I ever want to go any further.

It's important to note that we should be proud that these kinds of projects can be accomplished HERE as a team, and not needing the help of expensive tuners.. Osterle and Crossfire people come to mind. Not saying that there wasn't some good outside help (Beckmann Technologies) but I think In general we have a pretty strong technical team and I'm proud to be a part of it!
Hi,

Amen to all of that /\ /\ /\ :wink:

Sadly in UK 55K motors, especially good ones command "AMG Tax" type prices, otherwise that would have been my move, N/A 5.4's are also a rarity here :(

I did look at a 55K motor last year on EBay, it was complete, but had a rod through the block, but the seller wanted almost £5000 for it on a pallet, and the parts to rebuild that would have been horrendous, bottom end is not the same as a regular 5.4 ................ I ran the part numbers :(

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
I went to Cars n Coffee last Saturday. Decided to park next to a CL.. Turns out to be a founding member of the Wichita MB club. As the members swarmed my car, that's when I noticed I parked right in the middle of the bee-hive. They were pretty impressed with the '55.

... not so much for it's mechanical configurations, but more for the fact that this car has ZERO rust and no damage. I was asked if it was stored in the garage it's whole life! HA! (I bought the car with 1/2" of mud on the sides and tweety bird floor mats!

I do my best to keep it nice.. I'll put it that way...

Got a little closer to the CL and realized where they are coming from... it's more of a 20 footer

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to Cars n Coffee last Saturday. Decided to park next to a CL.. Turns out to be a founding member of the Wichita MB club. As the members swarmed my car, that's when I noticed I parked right in the middle of the bee-hive. They were pretty impressed with the '55.

... not so much for it's mechanical configurations, but more for the fact that this car has ZERO rust and no damage. I was asked if it was stored in the garage it's whole life! HA! (I bought the car with 1/2" of mud on the sides and tweety bird floor mats!

I do my best to keep it nice.. I'll put it that way...

Got a little closer to the CL and realized where they are coming from... it's more of a 20 footer
That is interesting. A couple of weeks ago, I took my very standard SLK (same colour as yours) for its warrant of fitness at my normal garage for the first time. He had it on a hoist, poked around for ages, checked in every nook and cranny and seemed very surprised that he couldn't find a spec of rust anywhere. And here's me, naively thinking that was normal! For the record, I think mine has spent its life in a dry shed - certainly for the thirteen years before I got it. It was one of those dust and cobweb things you also hope to find.

401 - 420 of 428 Posts